Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Interesting! Where have I heard someone suggest we need to change the scheme to have more man to man coverage before?
    LOL, again, I also heard someone ask were we were going to find those cats.

Williams likes to run the "Press Zone" or "Zone Press" (its not consistently called one or the other) which is kindof more along the lines of the "Man to Man" you so desperately crave. I think the additions of Cook, Robinson, and Smith support that effort.

Haven't seen much of him, but I think Blanton will also help in that regard as he gets more NFL ready.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I think you need to be very careful when you read the articles. If they don't clearly differentiate between the two, I think you can go on the assumption that the writer doesn't know that there is in fact a difference between the two.

From what I've gathered over the summer (reading up on this guy) both he and Leslie like to run a mix of the two (T2 and C2) but prefer the C2 and will use that as their base.

[/url]
    The terms cover 2 does get used in a broader sense a lot, quite often including tampa 2 as a type of cover 2. Maybe not so much that they don't know the difference, as much as blanketing them into the same general scheme. However, my understanding is that our real base defense is a tampa 2.

This author in the article below goes through the vikings games play by play and makes a lot of good observations week to week. He posted this article earlier this year and describes the Vikings base defense as a "Tampa Over 2" and also discussed the Vikings variation of the Tampa 2. IMO, it's a good read from a guy who does a lot of homework on football and the Vikings in particular. Beware though, he is just a fan like us.

Understanding the Vikings: The Tampa-2 and its Front Seven

There aren't many changes in the Vikings Tampa-2 system from the traditional 4-3 one gap system. The most important difference is that the nose tackle is tasked with the responsibility of reading the play and reacting appropriately instead of indiscriminately attacking the gap. While you won't see many line adjustments from the nose tackle during pre-snap movement, the nose tackle is determining whether or not to attack the gap or to control it. This reduces the likelihood that the nose tackle will get caught up in traps. On some of these plays, the nose may choose to act as if he's in a 0 technique and attack the center instead of the A gap.

Because the nose tackle is usually extremely powerful and quick in their north-south movements (unlike nose tackles in a 3-4 system, who are not required to be penetrators, but are generally laterally agile), they'll also usually command a double team, which will free up the Mike or the Will linebacker to make the play in the run game. The nose tackle will need to consistently demand that double team in order to make the Tampa-2 effective. This is how the over alignment of the Tampa system deals with the problems of zone-read running endemic to traditional one-gap 4-3 systems, and why Pat Williams was a more important part of our defense than many commentators gave him credit for.

The weakside defensive end is also asked to read the play and will get into contain much more often, instead of indiscriminately attacking the C gap. This means that the defensive end on the weak side is tasked with containing outside runs while the Will linebacker will contain off-tackle and off-guard runs when the weakside end goes wide to direct traffic. The Tampa-2 system in general, and the one employed by the Vikings in particular, is designed to direct running traffic to the Will linebacker, which demands that the Will be a strong tackler more than anything else.

Unique to the Vikings version of the Tampa-2 is the heads up (6-technique) alignment of the strongside defensive end over the tight end. This defensive end will read the movement of the tight end and determine the most appropriate action from there. For example, if the tight end shoots forward with both arms extended, the end will try to penetrate inside to stop the run. There are any number of actions that the tight end will take off of the release, and naturally some of them will be fakes designed to stop the defensive end from making the play. It is up to the strongside defensive end to determine the intentions of the tight end within half a second of the snap. Much more often than not, the strongside DE will still attempt to attack the gap and get to the quarterback while the Sam linebacker will take care of the run or the tight end.
    Even though the tampa 2 appears to be the Vikings base defense, they are deviating from it more this year than any other. As skum mentions, they throw in more man coverages than ever and they will play a variation of cover 1, 2 and 3 at times. The more comfortable Williams and Frazier feel with the back 7, the more you should expect them to mix up the looks they show on defense.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I think we do. Thats why they made sure they landed Smith. I think over time (and I don't think that is going to be a very long time the way he has played this year) Smitty is going to be a damn fine safety in this scheme.

As to the cushions being provided. I can't see it as good as you guys do in the dome, but it appears to me that our CB's are playing tight and trying to funnel to the inside.
    I'd definitely say that we are playing more man to man lately than what we have been. Definitely a lot more than last year & IMO, it's working. Granted we aren't getting a lot of INT's, but not only have we had our share of chances, we've knocked a lot more balls away or forced drops.

I'll take that over letting them catch short passes & then knocking them down any day. Those short "underneath" passes that we allow, do end up moving chains.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    The terms cover 2 does get used in a broader sense a lot, quite often including tampa 2 as a type of cover 2. Maybe not so much that they don't know the difference, as much as blanketing them into the same general scheme. However, my understanding is that our real base defense is a tampa 2.

This author in the article below goes through the vikings games play by play and makes a lot of good observations week to week. He posted this article earlier this year and describes the Vikings base defense as a "Tampa Over 2" and also discussed the Vikings variation of the Tampa 2. IMO, it's a good read from a guy who does a lot of homework on football and the Vikings in particular. Beware though, he is just a fan like us.

Understanding the Vikings: The Tampa-2 and its Front Seven

Even though the tampa 2 appears to be the Vikings base defense, they are deviating from it more this year than any other. As skum mentions, they throw in more man coverages than ever and they will play a variation of cover 1, 2 and 3 at times. The more comfortable Williams and Frazier feel with the back 7, the more you should expect them to mix up the looks they show on defense.
    What a great article. Love how the highlight the need for a "Warpig". .....snicker...

Did you read any of the stuff on the pages he referenced?

Big thanks to Trojan Football Analysis, Scardraft, Smart Football, and Windy City Gridiron (describing a different Tampa-2), all for unknowingly providing me with supplemental and relevant information.
    I looked at the first 3. Trojan just gives alignment that is known to most, Scardraft mentions how the CB's are used differently.

Didn't look to hard as Smartfootball. Most of what I saw was about the Pats and I didn't bother to dig. I am sure I will find some time later to go over them more thouroughly, but again, I think the author you noted is just using the T2 vice the C2 because he associates Leslie with Dungy.

Again, back to the articles I posted. Our new D-coord actuallys states that "Leslies Defense" is different than the T2.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Was searching for one of my old threads on the difference between the 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ETC tech on the DL and found this instead.

I will keep looking for the other one, but this one is interesting as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12