Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

A Day in the Life (Of an Offensive Lineman)

I was reading up on a few things today and found this on one of my favorite sites.
    Can't believe I missed as many times as I have been on that site doing research.

Hope you enjoy.
    I know a few of you will probably relieve a few moments.

You're an offensive lineman and it's late in the game.

You're mentally tired. Sweat, snot and spit drips off your face as you look down to see your hand still shaking from when you crushed it in the first quarter. There is probably some nerve damage. Your knees ache, your back hurts so bad it's hard to stand up straight. You wince and feel a burning sensation. Your vision is blurred due to a cut on your forehead from your last collision with some alcoholic 6'5" 320lb War-Daddy running a 4.8, benching 500, and cleaning 401 at 17% body fat who has an outstanding warrant for his arrest, beats his girlfriend regularly and just insulted your mom with words you couldn't understand. His only instructions were to "Get to the ball, and be in a bad mood when you get there!!"

http://football.calsci.com/ADay.html
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: A Day in the Life (Of an Offensive Lineman)

"Marrdro" wrote:
    I was reading up on a few things today and found this on one of my favorite sites.
    Can't believe I missed as many times as I have been on that site doing research.

Hope you enjoy.
    I know a few of you will probably relieve a few moments.

You're an offensive lineman and it's late in the game.

You're mentally tired. Sweat, snot and spit drips off your face as you look down to see your hand still shaking from when you crushed it in the first quarter. There is probably some nerve damage. Your knees ache, your back hurts so bad it's hard to stand up straight. You wince and feel a burning sensation. Your vision is blurred due to a cut on your forehead from your last collision with some alcoholic 6'5" 320lb War-Daddy running a 4.8, benching 500, and cleaning 401 at 17% body fat who has an outstanding warrant for his arrest, beats his girlfriend regularly and just insulted your mom with words you couldn't understand. His only instructions were to "Get to the ball, and be in a bad mood when you get there!!"

http://football.calsci.com/ADay.html
    Great post my friend - you crack me up.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

That was fantastic. Great great read.

Thanks Marrdro.

vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

That was one hell of an essay. The author, Ryan Jordan, should submit it to Sports Illustrated, because that is the kind of great writing they should publish.

It makes me respect offensive linemen even more. Good job, guys. What Jordan described is, in a word, courage.

And can I get a round of applause for the Vikes offensive line? Playing great. Bryant McKinnie, for example, got hurt in the Dec 2 Lions game, but gutted it out, went back in, and played great.

Go Vikings!

I remember reading something in the NY Times or Newark Star Ledger a few years ago about A Day in the Life of an Offensive Lineman, and that was a great article. Had all about their workouts, practices, and diets. I remember reading the diet part with my jaw on the floor, it was amazing how these guys eat haha. I was looking for it for the past few minutes, but can't find it. My dad showed it to me, so I'll ask him if he remembers where he got it from. He actually may still have it somewhere, he keeps a lot of newspaper and magazine articles.

"Mr" wrote:
    I remember reading something in the NY Times or Newark Star Ledger a few years ago about A Day in the Life of an Offensive Lineman, and that was a great article. Had all about their workouts, practices, and diets. I remember reading the diet part with my jaw on the floor, it was amazing how these guys eat haha. I was looking for it for the past few minutes, but can't find it. My dad showed it to me, so I'll ask him if he remembers where he got it from. He actually may still have it somewhere, he keeps a lot of newspaper and magazine articles.
    I would like to read that one as well.

What parameters did you use to google.
    I did several variations and can't find it either.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Wow.
    Great read!!
    Just emailed the link to several friends!!

Funny thing is, I wanted to play football as a pre teen, but my family kind of talked me out of it...Or, mom got dad to talk me out of it...?
    Anyway, he too was a skinny farm boy, average height, probably around 150 lbs...since his family didn't really know the coach and he didn't have the obvious speed, size etc for the skill positions he ended up playing OG.

He said it was fun, when they played the other, rural farm teams, but that when they got into the playoffs, the big city teams would always have 250 pounders playing the line, and all he could do was hit the guy low, trip him up, and let the guy fall on him...over and over and over...ouch.

I went out and started throwing the ball...couldn't really hit anything, nor catch very well when thrown to...just didn't have any coordination back then.
    On top of that, I was taller, and weighed less.
    Didn't seem like a fit.
    Unfortunately, it was years later, in some drunken snow tackle football, when I realized I might have been a good CB or Safety...but that's another story.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    I would like to read that one as well.

What parameters did you use to google.
    I did several variations and can't find it either.
    Google, Yahoo, NYTimes Archive search(their search is kinda shitty though), NJ.com(the Star Ledger site).

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Wow.
    Great read!!
    Just emailed the link to several friends!!

Funny thing is, I wanted to play football as a pre teen, but my family kind of talked me out of it...Or, mom got dad to talk me out of it...?
    Anyway, he too was a skinny farm boy, average height, probably around 150 lbs...since his family didn't really know the coach and he didn't have the obvious speed, size etc for the skill positions he ended up playing OG.

He said it was fun, when they played the other, rural farm teams, but that when they got into the playoffs, the big city teams would always have 250 pounders playing the line, and all he could do was hit the guy low, trip him up, and let the guy fall on him...over and over and over...ouch.

I went out and started throwing the ball...couldn't really hit anything, nor catch very well when thrown to...just didn't have any coordination back then.
    On top of that, I was taller, and weighed less.
    Didn't seem like a fit.
    Unfortunately, it was years later, in some drunken snow tackle football, when I realized I might have been a good CB or Safety...but that's another story.
    Very interesting.

I on the other hand grew up in a very small MN town, with a very small school that only played 9 man football. (District 318) If your dad would let you have the time off from work you could participate in sports.

Basically, you didn't have to be good (and I probably wasn't) to make the team and you got to play.
    Unfortunately we stunk all the time as well.

Anyway, I envy the guys who have the talent to play the game especially the ones that got to the next level and extended thier playing time.

I can't imagine what it would be like to strap it on for a real NFL team.

Man I love this game.
    ;D

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Very good read.
    For those of us who never played line, this is a good reminder to how complex the blocking schemes can be:
    So now you get in the huddle and here comes the quarterback with the call: "Larry Left, 90 XY out on Two, on Two. Ready ....BREAK!!

So here's what goes through your head: "90...90....What is 90? That's a 7 step drop. He needs lots of time. Damn my hand hurts! Larry Left. OK, I've got the tight-end on my side so the 7 technique will be wide. The Mike is right and I'm uncovered, so I've got the Sam to the end to the Corner. Easy. Oh crap, they eagled down and War-Daddy is lined up with me, and I don't have help because the other guard has a two technique and the center is uncovered and he has to slide. Better go from a two point stance, this guy is quick.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast