Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Re: Davis to Porter: See Ya!

"Benet" wrote:
    Old news. I agree with oddmanout, Porter's a good receiver. Shame he acts like a punk.
    Yes, now it's one day old. Previously it was just Porter whining, now Davis agreed to let him walk the plank.

===============================================

KFFL
    Packers | Team needs help at WR; price for Porter may be too high
    Wed, 2 Aug 2006 06:06:46 -0700

Pete Dougherty, of Packersnews.com, reports it is obvious the Green Bay Packers need help at wide receiver, but the cost of obtaining that help may be too high. Although the Oakland Raiders appear willing to trade perpetually disgruntled WR Jerry Porter, a deal appears unlikely unless the Raiders drop their asking price significantly. They reportedly are looking for at least a first-round draft pick, and it's hard to see the Packers giving up more than a fourth-round pick for him, or perhaps a third. "I don't know what's really on (the Raiders') minds, but I know they want a big-time pick," said Reggie McKenzie, the Packers' director of pro personnel. The chances of the Packers making a deal during training camp probably are slim because general manager Ted Thompson is more philosophically opposed to trading picks than most general managers in the league. Through five days of camp, no receiver has jumped out as a weapon to complement WR Donald Driver. The Packers are one of several teams in the market for a receiver, along with Philadelphia, Atlanta, Chicago, San Francisco and Jacksonville.

sunny is offline Pro-Bowler

What is going on in the NFL? Every time someone beeches they are allowed to go to another team. These guys are under contract. Porter just got a big raise a couple years ago. If I was grampa Al I would have sent him on crossing patterns every play and have the other team beat some sence into him.

Bottom line is that their egos are to big for their shorts.
    I.B.O.T. #213

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Benet" wrote:
    Old news. I agree with oddmanout, Porter's a good receiver. Shame he acts like a punk.
    Yes, now it's one day old. Previously it was just Porter whining, now Davis agreed to let him walk the plank.

KFFL

Pete Dougherty, of Packersnews.com, reports it is obvious the Green Bay Packers need help at wide receiver, but the cost of obtaining that help may be too high. Although the Oakland Raiders appear willing to trade perpetually disgruntled WR Jerry Porter, a deal appears unlikely unless the Raiders drop their asking price significantly. They reportedly are looking for at least a first-round draft pick, and it's hard to see the Packers giving up more than a fourth-round pick for him, or perhaps a third. "I don't know what's really on (the Raiders') minds, but I know they want a big-time pick," said Reggie McKenzie, the Packers' director of pro personnel. The chances of the Packers making a deal during training camp probably are slim because general manager Ted Thompson is more philosophically opposed to trading picks than most general managers in the league. Through five days of camp, no receiver has jumped out as a weapon to complement WR Donald Driver. The Packers are one of several teams in the market for a receiver, along with Philadelphia, Atlanta, Chicago, San Francisco and Jacksonville.
    It's actually a week old now:
    POSTED 12:41 a.m. EDT, July 26, 2006

RAIDERS DANGLING PORTER

We've heard from two different sources that the Oakland Raiders are willing to trade receiver Jerry Porter, if an interested partner can be identified. One source said that the Raiders discreetly have been shopping Porter for several months.

Porter was a second-round pick of the Raiders in 2000. He received a $7 million signing bonus in 2005, only a day or two before word broke of a trade that sent Randy Moss to the Bay Area.

Porter is scheduled to earn base salaries of $1 million in 2006 and 2007.

Teams that might be interested include the Eagles, Packers, Bears, Patriots, Jaguars, Saints, and 49ers.
    It'd be funny to see him in Green Bay.. Just to see how much he bitches when Favre throws away another drive with an interception on a play that was designed to go Porter's way!

Prophet Guest

"Benet" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Benet" wrote:

KFFL

It's actually a week old now:
    POSTED 12:41 a.m. EDT, July 26, 2006

RAIDERS DANGLING PORTER

We've heard from two different sources that the Oakland Raiders are willing to trade receiver Jerry Porter, if an interested partner can be identified. One source said that the Raiders discreetly have been shopping Porter for several months.

Porter was a second-round pick of the Raiders in 2000. He received a $7 million signing bonus in 2005, only a day or two before word broke of a trade that sent Randy Moss to the Bay Area.

Porter is scheduled to earn base salaries of $1 million in 2006 and 2007.

Teams that might be interested include the Eagles, Packers, Bears, Patriots, Jaguars, Saints, and 49ers.
    It'd be funny to see him in Green Bay.. Just to see how much he bitches when Favre throws away another drive with an interception on a play that was designed to go Porter's way!
    I would love to see him in GB, they need more cancer on that team.

Just for the sake of arguing (getting primed up for the regular season), that was a pft article and it wasn't recognized as legit. until the man, Davis, acknowledged that it was true....which was yesterday. The speculation was there, but no confirmation. That's why I like Florio's website, he is right more often than not and breaks the news to the peasants early.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"Prophet" wrote:

Just for the sake of arguing (getting primed up for the regular season), that was a pft article and it wasn't recognized as legit. until the man, Davis, acknowledged that it was true....which was yesterday. The speculation was there, but no confirmation. That's why I like Florio's website, he is right more often than not and breaks the news to the peasants early.
    Fair enough.. Thing is, if that PFT article is true, then they've been shopping Porter for MONTHS! And we only find out about it last week!? Eh, if he comes to the NFC North I won't be too troubled, he'll never see the ball in Green Bay.

Del Rio Guest

"sunny" wrote:
    What is going on in the NFL? Every time someone beeches they are allowed to go to another team. These guys are under contract. Porter just got a big raise a couple years ago. If I was grampa Al I would have sent him on crossing patterns every play and have the other team beat some sence into him.

Have you ever tried to coach a player who didn't want to play? When you want to win, and you only have 11 men on the field you can't afford for one of them to not give it his all.

You can't afford to have one of them perhaps try and throw a game to force a trade and if you aren't going to play him it hurts your team as well. Your spending money on a guy to sit on the bench? For what? To make a point? I don't think so. That money could be invested into another player that will produce something.

Prophet Guest

"Benet" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

Fair enough.. Thing is, if that PFT article is true, then they've been shopping Porter for MONTHS! And we only find out about it last week!? Eh, if he comes to the NFC North I won't be too troubled, he'll never see the ball in Green Bay.
    Damn you, that didn't give me very much practice.

Del Rio Guest

"Benet" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

There is a difference between a team shopping someone and an OWNER saying you are free to shop yourself.

The team owns him, they first try to shop him for what they want. When it reaches the point where the owner says you can shop yourself it removes all doubt of his future.

Now his agent is free to call door to door legally and work on a deal.

damien927 is offline Asst. Coach

hey, the lions could trade for him and use their first round pick on a receiver in 4 of the last five years!!!!!!!

Thanks Lotza!

sunny is offline Pro-Bowler

"Del Rio" wrote:
    "sunny" wrote:

Have you ever tried to coach a player who didn't want to play? When you want to win, and you only have 11 men on the field you can't afford for one of them to not give it his all.

You can't afford to have one of them perhaps try and throw a game to force a trade and if you aren't going to play him it hurts your team as well. Your spending money on a guy to sit on the bench? For what? To make a point? I don't think so. That money could be invested into another player that will produce something.
    Del, I agree that you cannot coach/play hard when they dont want to but, these are not highschool kids we are talking about. These are grown men who are paid very large amounts of money. They need a reality check of some sorts. I guese it just pissses me off is all.
    I.B.O.T. #213

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast