Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Darrell Bevel hired as Seahawks OC

    Quote Originally Posted by "MaxVike" #1088250
    Many League insiders will point directly to Bevell, not Childress, as the main reason Favre came to Minnesota. Now, whether you like it or not, we weren't complaining as a group of serious Vikings fans when the KAO really was a KAO in 2009, the only year in Bevell's tenure there was decent play from the QB position. Admittedly, I wasn't his biggest fan either, but, coaches, players, workers, parents, hell, all of us, hopefully improve from past experiences.

    I wish him good luck.
    I was. Never did like Bevell & wasn't fond of Childress either. Bevell was nothing more than a puppet on a string when Childress was here & the play calling improved slightly after Chilly was axed.

    The KAO never existed as it was supposed to as a well oiled machine. Not even in 2009. It was sporadic at best. A KAO should also have what we lacked & that was a damn good front line.

    The reason we had success in 2009 was because often times Favre either audibled to a different play or he made something happen out of a busted play or improvised when receivers were covered.

    The majority of our plays were not well executed or smooth running like they were supposed to be, even as vanilla as it was.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #12
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Darrell Bevel hired as Seahawks OC

    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1088247
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1088241
    I need to get out of the closet and back online again. I could have a blast with this one.
    It would be poetic justice for them to hire Childress to be Bevell's QB coach. Better yet their WR coach and then sign TO and Moss lmao.
    LOL, well played my friend.

    I wonder were the Chiller is gonna land. I really thought he was gonna get the Browns job.

    Again, haven't had time to check up on things of late. Did we ever hire a QB coach or is our New O-Coord gonna do that as a cost savings effort?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #13
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Darrell Bevel hired as Seahawks OC

    Quote Originally Posted by "skum" #1088244
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1088241
    I need to get out of the closet and back online again. I could have a blast with this one.
    We sure miss you, you keep PPO alive
    Your to kind my friend. PPO keeps me alive. I hate not talking ball everyday.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #14
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Darrell Bevel hired as Seahawks OC

    Quote Originally Posted by "MaxVike" #1088250
    Many League insiders will point directly to Bevell, not Childress, as the main reason Favre came to Minnesota. Now, whether you like it or not, we weren't complaining as a group of serious Vikings fans when the KAO really was a KAO in 2009, the only year in Bevell's tenure there was decent play from the QB position. Admittedly, I wasn't his biggest fan either, but, coaches, players, workers, parents, hell, all of us, hopefully improve from past experiences.

    I wish him good luck.
    As always, an excellent post my friend.

    Truth of the matter is, the WCO is a very complex offense that relies on all pieces clicking together to make it work to its max effect. 2009 was a great example of it.

    To bad for us fans we had issues at QB, WR, and OL in 2010. Still say the loss of Rice early on was the death knell for the team, and us fans this year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #15
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Darrell Bevel hired as Seahawks OC

    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1088254
    The reason we had success in 2009 was because often times Favre either audibled to a different play or he made something happen out of a busted play or improvised when receivers were covered.
    You do realize that to audible, he would have to have the right player packages in to do that, and the player packages would have had to work on those plays for them to work.

    Sitting around thinking that he drew the plays up in the dirt with bottle caps and sticks is OK, but not reality.

    Heck, even the "Adlib" idea is a bit of a stretch.

    I can probably go back in my notes and find 10 or 12 plays over the last two years that really could be considered of that nature, starting with the Greg Lewis catch and even that one was a designed route he ran, he just extended it from the left corner of the endzone all the way across as the Noodle moved around buying time.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #16
    MaxVike's Avatar
    MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,551

    Re: Darrell Bevel hired as Seahawks OC

    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1088254
    Quote Originally Posted by "MaxVike" #1088250
    Many League insiders will point directly to Bevell, not Childress, as the main reason Favre came to Minnesota. Now, whether you like it or not, we weren't complaining as a group of serious Vikings fans when the KAO really was a KAO in 2009, the only year in Bevell's tenure there was decent play from the QB position. Admittedly, I wasn't his biggest fan either, but, coaches, players, workers, parents, hell, all of us, hopefully improve from past experiences.

    I wish him good luck.
    I was. Never did like Bevell & wasn't fond of Childress either. Bevell was nothing more than a puppet on a string when Childress was here & the play calling improved slightly after Chilly was axed.

    The KAO never existed as it was supposed to as a well oiled machine. Not even in 2009. It was sporadic at best. A KAO should also have what we lacked & that was a damn good front line.

    The reason we had success in 2009 was because often times Favre either audibled to a different play or he made something happen out of a busted play or improvised when receivers were covered.

    The majority of our plays were not well executed or smooth running like they were supposed to be, even as vanilla as it was.
    No matter what I say, you have a disagreement. I will not engage in petty bickering that you are trying to lure me into every fucking time I post, but, this time, I welcome the backup to your completely absurd statement (in bold). Here are the 2009 NFL Statistic FACTS: #5 Total Yards Offense, #8 Passing Yards Offense, #13 Rushing Yards Offense, #2 Scoring Points, #2 Offense Touchdowns. Oh, and your point basically crediting the offensive line with the offensive success, FACT, the Vikings Offensive Line ranked #17 in 2009.

    Those are facts, another fact is that Bevell was the offensive coordinator in 2009. Oh, and your comment about Favre, actually validates my point about Bevell bringing him here, something literally nobody a year later gives him credit for.

    Again, I'm happy he's leaving and we are starting fresh, but, for one year...it worked. That's essentially all I'm saying.

    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

  7. #17
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Darrell Bevel hired as Seahawks OC

    Our offense is successful because Adrian Peterson can make something out of nothing on a regular basis.

    Childress hamstrung this offense with zone blocking.

    I'd like someone to explain to me how it's physically possible to block an 8 or 9 man front without isolating defenders, creating designated holes to run through.Isos, traps, etc, with a lead blocker - those plays will get Peterson to the next level on a regular basis. Something zone blocking NEVER did.

    For all I know, Bevell might be halfway decent, he was brought into a situation where he had minimal control. Childress is a douchebag, I smile every time I think about his firing.

  8. #18
    Minniman's Avatar
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,425

    Re: Darrell Bevel hired as Seahawks OC

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1088272
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1088254
    The reason we had success in 2009 was because often times Favre either audibled to a different play or he made something happen out of a busted play or improvised when receivers were covered.
    You do realize that to audible, he would have to have the right player packages in to do that, and the player packages would have had to work on those plays for them to work.

    Sitting around thinking that he drew the plays up in the dirt with bottle caps and sticks is OK, but not reality.
    If Bevell sent in a play, and Favre thought it would not work after making his reads, he would make an audible to other plays from that package. Changing a run to a pass was simple. Changing from one route set to another was easy. Changing the primary receiver was not a problem.

    The problem came when receivers did not get the same read that forced the change, that receivers did not see the same reads for option routes, and that blockers, including backs, did not have a line call or backfield scheme to support the audible.

    What likely upset Childress was that Favre did not like to play it safe. As time went on, he reverted back to his former gunslinging. What Childress likely did not understand was that audibles gave the Vikings a better chance to have a positive outcome on any given play, and that blocking schemes often forced Favre to try to make something out of very little. Favre just could not take the hits, and the scheme did not take his aging mobility and injuries into account.

    I did not like the way many Vikings games were called, even in 2009, but I did like others. We do not know how much Bevell was given the latitude to design and execute his own scheme. In the beginning, it was the Childress doctrine, and the playbook and gameplan always reflected that regardless of the title given to Darrell Bevell.

  9. #19
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Darrell Bevel hired as Seahawks OC

    Quote Originally Posted by "Minniman" #1088340
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1088272
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1088254
    The reason we had success in 2009 was because often times Favre either audibled to a different play or he made something happen out of a busted play or improvised when receivers were covered.
    You do realize that to audible, he would have to have the right player packages in to do that, and the player packages would have had to work on those plays for them to work.

    Sitting around thinking that he drew the plays up in the dirt with bottle caps and sticks is OK, but not reality.
    If Bevell sent in a play, and Favre thought it would not work after making his reads, he would make an audible to other plays from that package. Changing a run to a pass was simple. Changing from one route set to another was easy. Changing the primary receiver was not a problem.

    The problem came when receivers did not get the same read that forced the change, that receivers did not see the same reads for option routes, and that blockers, including backs, did not have a line call or backfield scheme to support the audible.

    What likely upset Childress was that Favre did not like to play it safe. As time went on, he reverted back to his former gunslinging. What Childress likely did not understand was that audibles gave the Vikings a better chance to have a positive outcome on any given play, and that blocking schemes often forced Favre to try to make something out of very little. Favre just could not take the hits, and the scheme did not take his aging mobility and injuries into account.

    I did not like the way many Vikings games were called, even in 2009, but I did like others. We do not know how much Bevell was given the latitude to design and execute his own scheme. In the beginning, it was the Childress doctrine, and the playbook and gameplan always reflected that regardless of the title given to Darrell Bevell.
    I can go with all of that. One point though, early on, a complex offense needs to have someone call it who knows how the offense should be run.

    Early on, I believe the Chiller wanted to call it so that Bevs knew how he wanted it called.

    Does that equate to Bevs being a clone of the Chiller? Perhaps, but as I said in another post, he was the Head Coach. It was his call to make things work the way he wants them to work, right or wrong...

    On a side, but related note, it will be interesting to see what people say about Pagac this year, especially if the defense plays better than it did last year.

    Will it be Pagac parroting Leslie or will Pagac be the man making the calls? As I said earlier, this is gonna be a fun thread.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #20
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Darrell Bevel hired as Seahawks OC

    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1088277
    Our offense is successful because Adrian Peterson can make something out of nothing on a regular basis.

    Childress hamstringed this offense with zone blocking.

    I'd like someone to explain to me how it's physically possible to block an 8 or 9 man front without isolating defenders, creating designated holes to run through.Isos, traps, etc, with a lead blocker - those plays will get Peterson to the next level on a regular basis. Something zone blocking NEVER did.

    For all I know, Bevell might be halfway decent, he was brought into a situation where he had minimal control. Childress is a douchebag, I smile every time I think about his firing.
    This one does a pretty good job.

    Rufio's Playbook: Zone Blocking in the Running Game
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Seahawks hope to trade WR Darrell Jackson
    By singersp in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-25-2007, 05:45 PM
  2. We hired the wrong former Falcons coach!
    By cajunvike in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2007, 01:02 AM
  3. NFL | Leaf may be hired to analyze the NFL Draft
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-11-2006, 01:13 AM
  4. More assistant coaches hired!
    By COJOMAY in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-05-2006, 07:20 PM
  5. Tice hired by Jaguars
    By Redmption in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-01-2006, 11:48 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •