COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

A Dangerous Trend

http://min.scout.com/2/719902.html
    Chad Greenway tied for the NFL in defensive fumble recoveries. If a disturbing trend that has developed this season and been on full display in the playoffs continues, Greenway and other defenders may find the opportunities to cause and recover fumbles to be much easier.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Frostbite is offline Coach

Re: A Dangerous Trend

Yes...I always thought tackle first take away ball next if possible. The reverse effect was seen a few times lately too. That is trying to tackle the ball instead of the player and the result was a longer yardage play or TD in some cases.

When all is said is done I still like the fundamentals the best. A hard sure tackle first. Unless the player has it in one hand like a loaf of bread and it's an easy play to make. Then I'd certainly try to knock it loose as part of the play.

I really hope our coaches work on this (Offensively) so we can hold on to the ball more often. We had some silly fumbles by several players in 07 that were just killers for us on drives and potential scores.

Cheers! and thanks for the link COJOMAY
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Certain times of a game dictate if you must try to force a turnover or just make sound tackle's, like if your behind late in a game, or the ball carrier is a known fumbler. Taking a swat at the ball coming around the edge as a defensive end. But first a funamental wrap up tackle is the prefered way to stop a ball carrier.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Very interesting read my friend.
    Thanks.

Why? It is now something defensive coaches teach players to do.
    Hey, wait a minute.......
    I thought the Vets taught the players or the players just knew how to do things and coaches were pretty much figure heads.
    :

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

Anyway, I think alot of the fumbles can also be attributed to some of the defensive schemes that are now being run.
    Faster, bigger, better, equates to more guys around the ball.
    First guy hits/puts a helmet on the ball and wraps him up, the next 2 or 3 guys tackle the ball.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Very interesting read my friend.
    Thanks.

Why? It is now something defensive coaches teach players to do.
    Hey, wait a minute.......
    I thought the Vets taught the players or the players just knew how to do things and coaches were pretty much figure heads.
    :

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

Anyway, I think alot of the fumbles can also be attributed to some of the defensive schemes that are now being run.
    Faster, bigger, better, equates to more guys around the ball.
    First guy hits/puts a helmet on the ball and wraps him up, the next 2 or 3 guys tackle the ball.
    Thats the way I was always taught first guy to stop the ball carrier and other tacklers to go after the ball. Primary job of the defender is to stop the ball carrier, any fumbles etc are a bonus after that
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...