Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Dallas releases safety Roy Williams

While all the talking heads focus on Terrell Owens hitting the market, lost in the shuffle is the news that safety Roy Williams was also released by the team:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/05/the-original-roy-williams-gets-his-wish/
    With the pad of pink slips already out of the desk drawer for receiver Terrell Owens, NBC Dallas-Ft. Worth reports that the Dallas Cowboys used a second sheet on safety Roy Williams.
    (Not receiver Roy Williams, Sid.
    Safety Roy Williams.)

The move comes two days after Williams gave the team a “trade me or cut me” ultimatum, and presumably after the team exhausted all potential trade opportunities.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/sports/football/Cowboys-Cut-Safety-Roy-Williams.html
    Williams was a first-round draft pick in 2002 out of Oklahoma and quickly became one of the most well-known safeties in the league.

Williams, who made five straight Pro Bowls, was sidelined much of the 2008 season with a forearm injury.
    In 2006, he signed a four-year contract extension with the team through 2010.

I'll be the first to say it. I'd love to see this guy in purple.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Dallas releases safety Roy Williams

"josdin00" wrote:
    While all the talking heads focus on Terrell Owens hitting the market, lost in the shuffle is the news that safety Roy Williams was also released by the team:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/05/the-original-roy-williams-gets-his-wish/
    With the pad of pink slips already out of the desk drawer for receiver Terrell Owens, NBC Dallas-Ft. Worth reports that the Dallas Cowboys used a second sheet on safety Roy Williams.
    Safety Roy Williams.)

The move comes two days after Williams gave the team a “trade me or cut me” ultimatum, and presumably after the team exhausted all potential trade opportunities.

Williams was a first-round draft pick in 2002 out of Oklahoma and quickly became one of the most well-known safeties in the league.

Williams, who made five straight Pro Bowls, was sidelined much of the 2008 season with a forearm injury.

I'll be the first to say it.
    I'd hate to see this guy in purple.
    He's more of a liability in coverage than anybody we've had in the past 5 years.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:

Safety Roy Williams.)

He's more of a liability in coverage than anybody we've had in the past 5 years.
    Do you know something I don't? The guy has consistantly put up big numbers of tackles, passes defensed, interceptions, touchdowns. Plus he is 28 and just entering the prime of his career. 5 straight pro-bowls.
    On paper this guy looks like the premier safety in the league. Are his injuries serious?

Blog Entries

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:

Safety Roy Williams.)

Do you know something I don't? The guy has consistantly put up big numbers of tackles, passes defensed, interceptions, touchdowns. Plus he is 28 and just entering the prime of his career. 5 straight pro-bowls.
    On paper this guy looks like the premier safety in the league. Are his injuries serious?
    unless your thinking of a diffent Roy Williams,
    The roy williams I know of is an enforcer.
    He's looking for the big hit, the knockout.
    Even despite the fact they made the rule against his horsecollar tackle, he STILL does it.
    He's not the kind of guy I'd want playing in a cover-2, he seems much more at home near the line of scrimmage.

mewario is offline Starter

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:

Safety Roy Williams.)

Because Darren Sharper was so great in coverage right?
    And because you'd rather see Tyrell Johnson start this year right after looking lost most of last year?
    Roy Williams is an improvement for us at this point.
    I'd rather we start him until Tyrell is ready in a year or two than draft yet another safety.
    Roy Williams lives on his name/reputation, but is still a big hitter.
    And giving up no draft picks to get him is a no brainer, and he's only 28.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:

Safety Roy Williams.)

unless your thinking of a diffent Roy Williams,
    The roy williams I know of is an enforcer.
    He's looking for the big hit, the knockout.
    Even despite the fact they made the rule against his horsecollar tackle, he STILL does it.
    He's not the kind of guy I'd want playing in a cover-2, he seems much more at home near the line of scrimmage.
    +1
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries

"mewario" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:

Safety Roy Williams.)

Because Darren Sharper was so great in coverage right?
    And because you'd rather see Tyrell Johnson start this year right after looking lost most of last year?
    Roy Williams is an improvement for us at this point.
    I'd rather we start him until Tyrell is ready in a year or two than draft yet another safety.
    Roy Williams lives on his name/reputation, but is still a big hitter.
    And giving up no draft picks to get him is a no brainer, and he's only 28.
    No, I truly think both sharper and Johnson are better in coverage than Roy.
    He doesn't fit our defense, and will command a pretty penny.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Guess there can be only one Roy Williams in Dallas, much to the dismay of TO.

Roy Williams' weakness is in coverage, whereas his strength is in knocking the snot out of someone.
    He's a guy that prefers to play close to the line of scrimmage, not sure his range would fit with what our cover2 schemes asks of the safeties.
    He was hurt for most of last year as well wasn't he?
    Not sure how serious or if it is still an issue.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Coverage is certainly Roy's weakness.
    But, wouldn't he be a better fit in a Tampa2?
    From what I recall, he's a pretty good tackler.
    I've always felt he was a bit overrated, but fat chance he wants to be a backup to Tyrell and Madieu, eh?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Roy Williams BLOWS in coverage

My girl is a Dallas fan and I watch my fair share.. You will hear it all the time

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast