Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Formo is offline Team Alumni

Re: Dallas Cowboys cheerleader causes controversy by sporting blackface!

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "DustinDupont" wrote:
    its fricken halloween, she went as lil wayne... not a big deal at all
    How can you say that? Do you know the history of Black Face in America? World Wide? I bet you don't.
    There are people that feel that White people should never don black paint in an attempt to mimic a black person. Although, i didn't here much about Robert Downey Junior in Tropic Thunder. I still think people should try to think about not only how it makes you feel but how it might make someone else feel.
    If someone is so gol 'darnit insecure about their own race that they have to feel like it's offensive, even in obvious situations where ill-intent was NOT intended, then they can rant and rave all they want.
    But don't tell me to empathize with them.
    I'll refuse.

I understand that the white race has put blacks/native Americans through a lot of crap in the past.
    But if said races continue bringing it up..
    they can NEVER move on into the future, and there'll never be any sort of healing between the races.

I call things as I see them.
    In this instance, it was NOT to be offensive.
    Therefore, no matter the circumstance, she was not in the wrong.
    Intent is not a measure of wrong or right. Example, I accidentally drive my POS car into your brand new Benz because I texting on my Iphone. It wasn't my intent to hit you but you can't say I didn't do anything wrong or that I haven't harmed you. I am telling you, sometimes it makes you a better person to try an see things with someone else's eyes. That's why some black Americans feel that some white people could never grasp what it is truly like to be a minority in this country. Not just a minority like a person of Jewish, Asian and European decent but one whose skin color instantly separates them from everyone else. You keep saying that she meant no harm so it's all good and I'm sure that will make it ok
    : :.
    I'm not offend and you may not be offended either but that doesn't meant that someone else who has had different experiences than you cannot be offended. One of my college teacher was beaten and and bitten by dogs during the civil rights era. Are you telling me that he wouldn't view a modern day image of a police officer seeking an attack dog on a black person differently than you? How is the air up there on your high horse?
    Hitting my Benz with any of your vehicles can't be obstrued to be offensive..
    Not a very good analogy.

I just said they can rant and rave all they want if they feel that to be offensive.
    I just said I will refuse to listen to it.
    As far as your college prof..
    If that's how he wants to see every police dog 'attack' on a black person..
    more power to him.
    He'd still be in the wrong assuming something without knowing the truth.

I was unaware I was on any sort of horse.
    I just present an option for people to actually move on past this issue.
    But you can't save them all I guess..
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Sajid28" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    [quote author=DustinDupont link=topic=54087.msg1015369#msg1015369 date=1257825582]
    How can you say that? Do you know the history of Black Face in America? World Wide? I bet you don't.
    There are people that feel that White people should never don black paint in an attempt to mimic a black person. Although, i didn't here much about Robert Downey Junior in Tropic Thunder. I still think people should try to think about not only how it makes you feel but how it might make someone else feel.
    If someone is so gol 'darnit insecure about their own race that they have to feel like it's offensive, even in obvious situations where ill-intent was NOT intended, then they can rant and rave all they want.
    I'll refuse.

I understand that the white race has put blacks/native Americans through a lot of crap in the past.
    they can NEVER move on into the future, and there'll never be any sort of healing between the races.

Intent is not a measure of wrong or right. Example, I accidentally drive my POS car into your brand new Benz because I texting on my Iphone. It wasn't my intent to hit you but you can't say I didn't do anything wrong or that I haven't harmed you. I am telling you, sometimes it makes you a better person to try an see things with someone else's eyes. That's why some black Americans feel that some white people could never grasp what it is truly like to be a minority in this country. Not just a minority like a person of Jewish, Asian and European decent but one whose skin color instantly separates them from everyone else. You keep saying that she meant no harm so it's all good and I'm sure that will make it ok
    I'm not offend and you may not be offended either but that doesn't meant that someone else who has had different experiences than you cannot be offended. One of my college teacher was beaten and and bitten by dogs during the civil rights era. Are you telling me that he wouldn't view a modern day image of a police officer seeking an attack dog on a black person differently than you? How is the air up there on your high horse?
    gol 'darnit bro.. u just opened up my eyes
    Sorry don't mean to be "that guy". I would rather talk about how amazing our team is to be honest. Race gets everyone all fired up. I really wish we could all just go back in time make sure some things never happened.
    [/quote]

I'm not fired up, and it's my bad for 'sounding' like I am.
    I hope you aren't.
    I love these types of discussions, because I know where I stand.
    I'm one of the first people to jump to a minority's defense on issues, and want almost more than anything to have no issue, ever, between any of our world's races.
    But it's going to take more than dwelling on the piss-poor past our races gone through.
    I believe our nation, even our society, focuses too much on the bad history.
    Not enough people know about the great black Americans in our history, and how if it weren't for those historical figures, we wouldn't be a nation today.
    At least not the one that we know.

No time to quote, i have to leave.

In reference to the FARGO thing:
    Scandanavian is an ethnicity.(apples)
    African American is a Race.(oranges)

I couldn't care less who she goes as. My motto:
    You can't
    spell CRAP, without RAP.
    The ribbon is the 'Gulf War Ribbon'.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

-I need a new liver. Please join us for a spaghetti dinner and silent auction benefit.
    -January 13, 2013 1-4.
    -$10 covers spaghetti, salad and bread.
    -Anoka American Legion.

oaklandzoo24 is offline Star Spokesman

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "oaklandzoo24" wrote:
    People are so sensitive sometimes.
    I understand racism is a HUGE issue and is very distasteful, but come on, its Halloween and she's being lil wayne.
    WTF.
    He is an iconic figure in society.
    She meant no harm by it and I see no reason why any person, white, black, mexican, asian what have you should be offended by this.
    If I go out and dress up as Jackie Chan, aint no one gonna have a problem with that.
    I mean, if Lil Wayne dressed up as Clay Aiken I doubt it would develop into a racial schism.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface
    read some about it and tell me you can't see how someone might be offended.
    I know all about that shit but all I am saying is it is damn fuckin Halloween, you dress up as something you not.
    Don't think of this as all about black people, it is lil wayne, the dreads, diamond teeth, it is not just a black thing.
    Are you saying it would have been ok for her to use a sharpie?
    It is a costume for halloween which is a tradition that people have taken on for years.
    MJ changed his skin white, does that make him as big of a problem as people are making this out to be?
    I understand there is a history behind blackface, but in this scenario it is used so she can appear to be more like lil wayne, and believe it or not he is black.
    I highly doubt she has a racist meaning behind this.
    I know what you are saying, but I think with stuff like this we have to shrug it off and just look at it as a part of the Halloween tradition where people are going to do outlandish things.
    And by the way, I spoke many black friends of mine and they had absolutely no problem with it other than the fact that she was butt ugly in the costume.
    She should just dress up as a vikings cheerleader instead, rock some purp and gold.
    "There are 3 things that sell in America:
    Violence, sex, and drugs.
    The only way you are going to make this game more appealing to the public than it was before is if there are on field orgies at halftime and the domes become massive opium dens."

[img width=450 height=55]http://img216.imageshac

"oaklandzoo24" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "oaklandzoo24" wrote:
    People are so sensitive sometimes.
    I understand racism is a HUGE issue and is very distasteful, but come on, its Halloween and she's being lil wayne.
    WTF.
    He is an iconic figure in society.
    She meant no harm by it and I see no reason why any person, white, black, mexican, asian what have you should be offended by this.
    If I go out and dress up as Jackie Chan, aint no one gonna have a problem with that.
    I mean, if Lil Wayne dressed up as Clay Aiken I doubt it would develop into a racial schism.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface
    read some about it and tell me you can't see how someone might be offended.
    I know all about that shit but all I am saying is it is damn fuckin Halloween, you dress up as something you not.
    Don't think of this as all about black people, it is lil wayne, the dreads, diamond teeth, it is not just a black thing.
    Are you saying it would have been ok for her to use a sharpie?
    It is a costume for halloween which is a tradition that people have taken on for years.
    MJ changed his skin white, does that make him as big of a problem as people are making this out to be?
    I understand there is a history behind blackface, but in this scenario it is used so she can appear to be more like lil wayne, and believe it or not he is black.
    I highly doubt she has a racist meaning behind this.
    I know what you are saying, but I think with stuff like this we have to shrug it off and just look at it as a part of the Halloween tradition where people are going to do outlandish things.
    And by the way, I spoke many black friends of mine and they had absolutely no problem with it other than the fact that she was butt ugly in the costume.
    She should just dress up as a vikings cheerleader instead, rock some purp and gold.
    YES!

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

As long as you have uptight people who can't overlook stupic crap none of this will ever go away.
    There will never be an healing as long as you have people like Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson beating you on the head whenever you crap wrong.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

"Formo" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "DustinDupont" wrote:
    I'll refuse.

Not a very good analogy.

I just said they can rant and rave all they want if they feel that to be offensive.
    more power to him.

And there is the problem.

You can listen to what someone has to say and still disagree. You're not even willing to try to see it from the other perspective, as you just said.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    As long as you have uptight people who can't overlook stupic crap none of this will ever go away.
    There will never be an healing as long as you have people like Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson beating you on the head whenever you crap wrong.
    I agree that Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson are a determent to their cause because of how the go after every possible situation.

But in the grand scheme of things, I hardly think they are to blame for the lack of healing as you say.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

"happy" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    I agree that Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson are a determent to their cause because of how the go after every possible situation.

But in the grand scheme of things, I hardly think they are to blame for the lack of healing as you say.
    They are just a big part of the problem.

"happy" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    [quote author=DustinDupont link=topic=54087.msg1015369#msg1015369 date=1257825582]
    I'll refuse.

Not a very good analogy.

more power to him.

And there is the problem.

You can listen to what someone has to say and still disagree. You're not even willing to try to see it from the other perspective, as you just said.
    [/quote]

So, I'm the problem?
    Riiiight..
    :

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast