Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    happy camper is offline Team Alumni

Re: Dallas Cowboys cheerleader causes controversy by sporting blackface!

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "DustinDupont" wrote:
    its fricken halloween, she went as lil wayne... not a big deal at all
    How can you say that? Do you know the history of Black Face in America? World Wide? I bet you don't.
    There are people that feel that White people should never don black paint in an attempt to mimic a black person. Although, i didn't here much about Robert Downey Junior in Tropic Thunder. I still think people should try to think about not only how it makes you feel but how it might make someone else feel.
    And thats all I was trying to say. It doesn't personally offend me but I can see how it might offend and individual of that race.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

Formo is offline Team Alumni

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "DustinDupont" wrote:
    How can you say that? Do you know the history of Black Face in America? World Wide? I bet you don't.
    There are people that feel that White people should never don black paint in an attempt to mimic a black person. Although, i didn't here much about Robert Downey Junior in Tropic Thunder. I still think people should try to think about not only how it makes you feel but how it might make someone else feel.
    If someone is so damn insecure about their own race that they have to feel like it's offensive, even in obvious situations where ill-intent was NOT intended, then they can rant and rave all they want.
    But don't tell me to empathize with them.
    I'll refuse.

I understand that the white race has put blacks/native Americans through a lot of crap in the past.
    But if said races continue bringing it up..
    they can NEVER move on into the future, and there'll never be any sort of healing between the races.

I call things as I see them.
    In this instance, it was NOT to be offensive.
    Therefore, no matter the circumstance, she was not in the wrong.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

Sajid28 is offline Coordinator

i see nothing wrong with it

maybe if she had a shirt on that had the "n" word on it, or had some sort of prop then yea, it would be messed up. but she didnt do anything wrong. its halloween, all she did was spray painted herself.

would it be wrong if she wore a turban? or decorated her eyes to look like an asian? in my opinion, no

Formo is offline Team Alumni

"happy" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    "happy" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    Seriously?

People need to get off their high horses.
    It's holloween for the love!
    This PC world needs to die.
    Like..
    Now.

What next, zombies are gonna start suing because of the negative stereotypes?
    It doesn't personally offend me or anything. But its not my place to say whether someone of that race should or should not be offended by the use of a white person's use of stereotypes as a costume.

And wow at comparing someone wearing black costumes to zombie costumes.
    Said race would have to look themselves as a whole in the mirror before throwing out the racist card.
    People use that card way to gol 'darnit often.

Do you hear the outrage about the piss-poor stereotype the movie 'Fargo' gives us Minnesotans and/or those of us with a Scandinavian background?
    No?
    Hmmm...

My comparison still stands as valid, no matter how badly you want to slant it as a racist remark.
    I hate that analogy every time someone makes it. The slavery trade of Africans pioneered so many ways to degrade a human being that it can't be changed completely to this day. I do not remember hearing any kind of similar situation with Minnesotans in my history classes. The distinction to be made is that Fargo is not hateful. This particular situation with this cheerleader is also not hateful, I believe. So this is probably not the right thread to discuss racism in America.
    Don't bring up the bad history between the whites and blacks.
    We all know the crap they went through.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

oaklandzoo24 is offline Star Spokesman

People are so sensitive sometimes.
    I understand racism is a HUGE issue and is very distasteful, but come on, its Halloween and she's being lil wayne.
    WTF.
    He is an iconic figure in society.
    She meant no harm by it and I see no reason why any person, white, black, mexican, asian what have you should be offended by this.
    If I go out and dress up as Jackie Chan, aint no one gonna have a problem with that.
    I mean, if Lil Wayne dressed up as Clay Aiken I doubt it would develop into a racial schism.
    "There are 3 things that sell in America:
    Violence, sex, and drugs.
    The only way you are going to make this game more appealing to the public than it was before is if there are on field orgies at halftime and the domes become massive opium dens."

[img width=450 height=55]http://img216.imageshac

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"Formo" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "DustinDupont" wrote:
    If someone is so gol 'darnit insecure about their own race that they have to feel like it's offensive, even in obvious situations where ill-intent was NOT intended, then they can rant and rave all they want.
    I'll refuse.

I understand that the white race has put blacks/native Americans through a lot of crap in the past.
    they can NEVER move on into the future, and there'll never be any sort of healing between the races.

Intent is not a measure of wrong or right. Example, I accidentally drive my POS car into your brand new Benz because I texting on my Iphone. It wasn't my intent to hit you but you can't say I didn't do anything wrong or that I haven't harmed you. I am telling you, sometimes it makes you a better person to try an see things with someone else's eyes. That's why some black Americans feel that some white people could never grasp what it is truly like to be a minority in this country. Not just a minority like a person of Jewish, Asian and European decent but one whose skin color instantly separates them from everyone else. You keep saying that she meant no harm so it's all good and I'm sure that will make it ok
    : :.
    I'm not offend and you may not be offended either but that doesn't meant that someone else who has had different experiences than you cannot be offended. One of my college teacher was beaten and and bitten by dogs during the civil rights era. Are you telling me that he wouldn't view a modern day image of a police officer seeking an attack dog on a black person differently than you? How is the air up there on your high horse?

"oaklandzoo24" wrote:
    People are so sensitive sometimes.
    I understand racism is a HUGE issue and is very distasteful, but come on, its Halloween and she's being lil wayne.
    WTF.
    He is an iconic figure in society.
    She meant no harm by it and I see no reason why any person, white, black, mexican, asian what have you should be offended by this.
    If I go out and dress up as Jackie Chan, aint no one gonna have a problem with that.
    I mean, if Lil Wayne dressed up as Clay Aiken I doubt it would develop into a racial schism.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface
    read some about it and tell me you can't see how someone might be offended.

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "DustinDupont" wrote:
    If someone is so gol 'darnit insecure about their own race that they have to feel like it's offensive, even in obvious situations where ill-intent was NOT intended, then they can rant and rave all they want.
    I'll refuse.

Intent is not a measure of wrong or right. Example, I accidentally drive my POS car into your brand new Benz because I texting on my Iphone. It wasn't my intent to hit you but you can't say I didn't do anything wrong or that I haven't harmed you. I am telling you, sometimes it makes you a better person to try an see things with someone else's eyes. That's why some black Americans feel that some white people could never grasp what it is truly like to be a minority in this country. Not just a minority like a person of Jewish, Asian and European decent but one whose skin color instantly separates them from everyone else. You keep saying that she meant no harm so it's all good and I'm sure that will make it ok
    I'm not offend and you may not be offended either but that doesn't meant that someone else who has had different experiences than you cannot be offended. One of my college teacher was beaten and and bitten by dogs during the civil rights era. Are you telling me that he wouldn't view a modern day image of a police officer seeking an attack dog on a black person differently than you? How is the air up there on your high horse?
    damn bro.. u just opened up my eyes

"Sajid28" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "DustinDupont" wrote:
    I'll refuse.

gol 'darnit bro.. u just opened up my eyes
    Sorry don't mean to be "that guy". I would rather talk about how amazing our team is to be honest. Race gets everyone all fired up. I really wish we could all just go back in time make sure some things never happened.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast