Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Dallas: A better situation for Brad Johnson

Great article into the realtionship of Brad Johnson & Brad Childress.

The link below contains the whole article. Below are just a few portions.

It's been nearly two years since we saw Brad Johnson start an NFL game. On the occasion of his ascendance to fill-in starter for the Dallas Cowboys, it's worth noting the last team he started for: The 2006 Minnesota Vikings.

Essentially, Vikings coach Mike Tice sat down with Johnson to learn what he was most comfortable with and worked those plays into the weekly game plan.

The following year, however, Childress was installing the fundamentals of his offense and wasn't comfortable with the idea of massaging it to fit the strengths of his quarterback. Childress believes that a quarterback should function within a scheme, as Donovan McNabb had done for him in Philadelphia, rather than the other way around.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-5-94/Dallas--A-better-situation-for-Brad-Johnson.html

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Re: Dallas: A better situation for Brad Johnson

Good post.

Chilly's perfect QB for his scheme was TJ.... who just like Chilly's scheme sucks.

I heard Gus when he was replacing TJ that he informed the Bevel what worked for him and what didn't.

Chilly is getting more flexible, which is what getting beaten up leads too.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

Only 32 people in the world get to be a Head Coach in the NFL. What is it that Childress does so great that warrants his job title?

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

In three years we have gone from Brad Johnson to Gus Frerotte.
    : Is it just me or am I missing some big difference.
    If we had just stayed with Brad wouldn't we be in about the same place at the QB position?
    Personally I liked BJ and was surprised when he was traded.
    I see both of them in about the same light when it comes to their skills and ability.

It will really piss me off if BJ takes the Cowboys to the Super Bowl.
    It would be another nail in the Childress coffin as well....meaning its not the players its the plan that is holding us back.

WWBGD

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

"Good coaches work with the talent that is there. Bad coaches force their 'system' on the team".

- Joe Theisman

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

"StillPurple" wrote:
    "Good coaches work with the talent that is there. Bad coaches force their 'system' on the team".

- Joe Theisman
    Wow a Joe Quote...Now I'm scared.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

ragz is offline GM

i dont know how accurate any of this stuff is cuz its pretty much just heresay, but its alot of what i've been saying.
    and it was things i did hear about johnson and childress parting not so nicely.
    the thing about m.robinson i find really interesting cuz i've never heard that and always thought that was some cold stuff.
    but i thought robinson was just lazy or milking injuries so they got fed up with him.
    could be the case but by the way childress handled kluwe last week, my theory that jackson questioned the fact that he wasn't even being used and essentially got benched, that childress is stubborn to the point of stupidity.
    also it goes to my theory about some players injuries lasting forever when you think its a week long thing.
    he did it to jackson last year, i feel like hes doing it to sidney rice now, and he might have been doing the same thing to robinson back then and i was blaming robinson.

i hear alot of people defend childress by saying its not like hes not trying to win.
    but to me by not adjusting to certain things, hes held players back, the team back, and had put his ego at the forefront insted of winning.
    i dont have a problem with a coach saying we are gonna do things my way cuz it works, but technically we never knew if that was true, and after 2 full seasons and a whole lot of nothing maybe its time to stop blaming jackson and kluwe and start looking in the mirror.

i am kinda curious to see how johnson performs.
    he is old as dirt, but they gotta lota talent in dallas and with that division they cant afford to be going 0-4 over the next month.
    "self improvement's masturbation.
    now self destruction" that's enlightenment

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

"RK." wrote:
    If we had just stayed with Brad wouldn't we be in about the same place at the QB position?

I see both of them in about the same light when it comes to their skills and ability.

It would be another nail in the Childress coffin as well....meaning its not the players its the plan that is holding us back.
    Only thing they have common is that they are both old and neither of them should be a starter in the NFL.
    With BJ our offense was much worser than the one we have now.. at least now we go up the field ( until AD fumbles the ball ) 2 years ago we had 3 plays and punted. I can't believe you're high on BJ.. come on you watched those games didn't you? Granted we have a better receiving group now but still BJ wouldn't have done better
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr-holland" wrote:
    "RK." wrote:

Only thing they have common is that they are both old and neither of them should be a starter in the NFL.
    With BJ our offense was much worser than the one we have now.. at least now we go up the field ( until AD fumbles the ball ) 2 years ago we had 3 plays and punted. I can't believe you're high on BJ.. come on you watched those games didn't you? Granted we have a better receiving group now but still BJ wouldn't have done better
    I watched those games and I also saw a terrible front line that couldn't block for him and I also saw a lot of dropped passes.
    Blame BJ all you want but he was not always at fault.
    There were only a couple of games in which he could be blamed but don't blame everything on BJ.
    It is simply not true.
    Everyone always said BJ couldn't get the ball down field.
    I tend to disagree.
    He didn't have the world's strongest arm but he was certainly able to hit people down the field.
    It was catching the ball thaat gave the Vikings their problems.
    BJ is one of the most accurate QBs in the league which is something this team lacks right now.
    Neither Gus or TJ is as accurate as BJ.
    Brad has a 61.8% completion rate.
    Nor do either of them have a better winning %.
    To say we are better off without him just isn't true given the choices we have now.
    BJ can manage a game better.
    He is accurate when throwing the ball which I am sure everyone on here gets frustrated watching the games because of inaccurate throws.
    I know I do.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Pretty tough pill for fans to swallow when a new coach comes in and wants to install his scheme and starts to jettison fan favorites.

As to the QB that fits this scheme, I still contend that Cutler was the perfect choice.
    To bad the asking price was so high.
    After that the pickings were pretty slim. Funny how people forget that when they start chiming that the Chiller was in love with TJ when in fact the front office settled for him after screwing the pooch in that draft.

[s]QB 1
    Matt Leinart SR 6-5/217/- USC Santa Ana, CA
    QB 2
    Vince Young JR 6-5/233/- Texas Houston, TX
    QB 3
    Jay Cutler SR 6-4/225/- Vanderbilt Lincoln City, IN [/s]
    QB 4
    Brodie Croyle SR 6-2.5/206/- Alabama Rainbow City, AL
    QB 5
    Charlie Whitehurst SR 6-4/215/4.75 Clemson Alpharetta, GA
    [s]QB 6
    Kellen Clemens SR 6-2/218/- Oregon Burns, OR [/s]
    QB 7
    Omar Jacobs JR 6-4/210/- Bowling Green Delray Beach, FL
    QB 8
    Ingle Martin SR 6-3/219/- Furman Nashville, TN
    QB 9
    Darrell Hackney SR 6-1/230/- UAB Atlanta, GA
    QB 10
    Reggie McNeal SR 6-2/206/- Texas A&M Lufkin, TX
    QB 11
    Bruce Gradkowski SR 6-2/210/- Toledo Pittsburgh, PA
    QB 12
    D.J. Shockley SR 6-1/206/- Georgia College Park, GA
    QB 13
    Brett Basanez SR 6-2/210/- Northwestern Arlington Hts, IL
    QB 14
    Erik Meyer SR 6-2/210/- Eastern Washington La Mirada, CA
    QB 15
    Paul Pinegar SR 6-4/220/- Fresno State Woodland, CA
    QB 16
    Travaris Jackson SR -/-/- Alabama State
    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...9960#msg739960

I wonder which QB most of you guys would have taken in that draft based on who was left on the board?
    Maybe the 16th rank QB wasn't as big a reach as some think.

As to Brad in Dallas, lets see how much of the scheme they change to fit his arm.
    I am sure they will have to as he sure doesn't have the arm for that scheme.
    IMHO that is why the fan favorite of Bollinger was brought in.
    He might get to see some time after Brad stinks it up the first game and TO is beeeyyyatching and moaning about not getting the ball deep.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast