Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Schutz is offline Team Alumni

Re: Culpepper's Latest Letter - "I retire." - From PFT

Don't worry, he'll probably be willing to come out of retirement for the right offer.
    ;D

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "ranasrule" wrote:
    "tgorsegner" wrote:
    no longer?? Was he ever? I'll agree to good, but elite is really pushing it because to some extent, the recievers and the system helped him look good. (not being a moss-crotch-sniffer, i dislike him as well)
    for 3 seasons he was pretty elite ........

2000 MIN 16 297 474 62.7 3937 8.3 33 78 16 98.0
    2003 MIN 14 295 454 65.0 3479 7.7 25 59 11 96.4
    2004 MIN 16 379 548 69.2 4717 8.6 39 82 11 110.9
    Yes he was.
    But for 5 years he was pretty poor - including the last three.
    In 2000 he had an amazing WR corps, and in 03 and 04 he had an amazing OC.

Culpepper was a good QB, but not elite.
    His talent level is not high enough to offset the baggage that he brings with him.
    Career QB rating of 89.9 compare that to elite quarterbacks in the league.
    Peyton Manning=94.7
    Tom Brady=92.9
    Brett Favre=85.7
    carson Palmer=90.1
    Drew Brees=87.9
    Donovan McNabb=85.8

Best season QB rating
    Culpepper=110.9
    Manning=121.1
    Brady=117.2
    Brett Favre=99.5
    Carson Palmer=101.1
    Drew Brees=104.8
    McNabb=104.7

Look at the circumstances under which those numbers were compiled.
    Culpepper shined when Moss and Carter were here, and when he was leading the high flying passing attack Minnesota employed.
    The downside is that Culpepper nedver GREW as a QB and was incapable in playing in a lesser system.

In short, he shined in a system that ANYONE would have shined in, but couldn't cut it on his own.
    Moss made Culpepper, not the other way around.

But Culpepper started believing his own fan mail, fired his agent, and tried to market himself as an ELITE QB.....look where THAT got him.
    Now he's throwing a Bono and quitting....and he still doesn't get it.
    There's a reason that there are 96+ employed QB's in the NFL and he isn't one of them....but he refuses to see the reason why, and refuses to admit that maybe HE is the problem.

Too bad.
    He had all the physical tool....minus the small hands.

Caine

Caine

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Caine" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "ranasrule" wrote:
    "tgorsegner" wrote:
    no longer?? Was he ever? I'll agree to good, but elite is really pushing it because to some extent, the recievers and the system helped him look good. (not being a moss-crotch-sniffer, i dislike him as well)

Yes he was.

His talent level is not high enough to offset the baggage that he brings with him.
    Peyton Manning=94.7
    Tom Brady=92.9
    Brett Favre=85.7
    carson Palmer=90.1
    Drew Brees=87.9
    Donovan McNabb=85.8

Best season QB rating
    Culpepper=110.9
    Manning=121.1
    Brady=117.2
    Brett Favre=99.5
    Carson Palmer=101.1
    Drew Brees=104.8
    McNabb=104.7

Culpepper shined when Moss and Carter were here, and when he was leading the high flying passing attack Minnesota employed.
    The downside is that Culpepper nedver GREW as a QB and was incapable in playing in a lesser system.

In short, he shined in a system that ANYONE would have shined in, but couldn't cut it on his own.

But Culpepper started believing his own fan mail, fired his agent, and tried to market himself as an ELITE QB.....look where THAT got him.
    There's a reason that there are 96+ employed QB's in the NFL and he isn't one of them....but he refuses to see the reason why, and refuses to admit that maybe HE is the problem.

Too bad.

Caine

Caine
    Right because all those other quarterbacks have done it with so much less. :
    Manning, Brady, Favre, Palmer and McNabb all played for the same team their entire careers.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "ranasrule" wrote:
    "tgorsegner" wrote:

Yes he was.

The last three is not even nice to throw in there. you are just being a billybingbonghead now.

He just didn't catch on with the right team to get another shot.

We will never know if it was fluke or phenom.
    You can argue both sides, but there isn't a right answer.

If he wouldn't have come down with that injury, he might still be the Vikings QB.

What baggage did he bring with him to Oakland?
    He got a chance to compete and he seemed to be a team player.
    In the end they just went younger, they have hooked the carriage to Russell.
    You can't draft that guy for that money and have DC standing behind him.
    Probably the same reason we didn't get a seasoned/quality back up last season.
    We had guys that were not a threat to TJ.
    Frerotte is a step up from KH and Bolly but still not a real threat to TJ's job.

Back to DC, chicken or the egg?
    One thing I know, those were some exciting years that he put together with that team.
    I am not going to sit here and cut the guy down, that just belittles the accomplishment of the Vikings team put together those season.

Dislike DC all you (plural) want for what he didn't accomplish while he was here.
    Have at it.

"Caine" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "ranasrule" wrote:
    "tgorsegner" wrote:

Yes he was.

Peyton Manning=94.7
    Tom Brady=92.9
    Brett Favre=85.7
    carson Palmer=90.1
    Drew Brees=87.9
    Donovan McNabb=85.8

Best season QB rating
    Culpepper=110.9
    Manning=121.1
    Brady=117.2
    Brett Favre=99.5
    Carson Palmer=101.1
    Drew Brees=104.8
    McNabb=104.7

Too bad.

Caine

Caine
    Not fair in bold.

How many games did he get a chance to succeed in before going down with that injury?

WRs were not catching balls in those games.
    With the TOs that happened, it was almost impossible to win games.

The O line sucked jiggly butt and he was running because he wasn't getting help from the line or the WRs, hence the injury on a competitive attempt to get a first down in a game where the D was sucking it up watching Smith run all over the field on us.
    JMHO! Stress the O!

Edit: WHY isn't the BOLD function working?

vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

Daunte Culpepper is one of the good guys. He gave his all and his best years to the Vikings. We fans got to see some great football. I know lots of us Viking fans appreciate what Daunte did. Who can ever forget all the deep bombs to Moss? How about the ladder play? How about defensive ends bouncing off him? It all ended too soon and not at all perfectly, and I wish Daunte wouldn't have been hurt. I was so sad that day because I knew he'd never play the same after that. He is a warrior and he gave it his all.

I really think this is the right choice by Daunte. He is such a bright light, he can do so much more in a new life, not playing the game. I hope he does something really cool, like going back for more education and a new profession, or starting a business. He's a good man and I wish him all the best. May God bless Daunte Culpepper.

Cheers, Daunte!

Go Vikings!

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"vikesfargo" wrote:
    Daunte Culpepper is one of the good guys. He gave his all and his best years to the Vikings. We fans got to see some great football. I know lots of us Viking fans appreciate what Daunte did. Who can ever forget all the deep bombs to Moss? How about the ladder play? How about defensive ends bouncing off him? It all ended too soon and not perfectly, and I wish Daunte wouldn't have been hurt. I was so sad that day because I knew he'd never play the same after that. He is a warrior and he gave it his all.

I really think this is the right choice by Daunte. He is such a bright light, he can do so much more in a new life, not playing the game. I hope he does something really cool, like going back for more education and a new profession, or starting a business. He's a good man and I wish him all the best. May God bless Daunte Culpepper.

Cheers, Daunte!
    +1

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"vikesfargo" wrote:
    Daunte Culpepper is one of the good guys. He gave his all and his best years to the Vikings. We fans got to see some great football. I know lots of us Viking fans appreciate what Daunte did. Who can ever forget all the deep bombs to Moss? How about the ladder play? How about defensive ends bouncing off him? It all ended too soon and not at all perfectly, and I wish Daunte wouldn't have been hurt. I was so sad that day because I knew he'd never play the same after that. He is a warrior and he gave it his all.

Cheers, Daunte!
    Well said, if it wasn't for the horrible falling out with the team I probably would have followed his career, and you know not laughed at every team that signed him. Does the Culpepper Jersey go back on the wall today (didn't have the balls to burn it)?

[size=13pt]Culpepper, unable to catch on as free agent, retires at age 31[/size]

Updated: September 4, 2008, 1:06 PM ET

By John Clayton
    ESPN.com

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I would also like to point out that when he passed for over 4000 yards Moss only had like 600 or 700 of them

He was still pretty good but coming off of a serious career threatening injury then going to play for the two laughing stocks of the league really hurt him

Also not taking the minimum and working his way up

Sad to see it happen but he called his own shots

Hopefully he does well after the game, I respect him as a person.. Not as much as a player/agent

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast