singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Culpepper says good-bye to Vikings, who are searching for QB

Posted on Thu, Mar. 16, 2006

[size=18px]Culpepper says good-bye to Vikings, who are searching for QB[/size]

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Knight Ridder Newspapers

ST. PAUL, Minn. - As Daunte Culpepper fittingly bid farewell to Minnesota in an e-mail Thursday, the Vikings apparently started looking into some possible replacements.

The agent for quarterback Brian Griese said he contacted the Vikings to gauge their interest in his client. Griese was released earlier this month by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Agent Ralph Cindrich said Griese will visit with the Cincinnati Bengals and the Chicago Bears. Two other teams have expressed an interest, Cindrich said.

"I can't say there's anything definitive (with the Vikings)," Cindrich said.
    ESPN.com reported Thursday that the Vikings were among the handful of teams that contacted the Atlanta Falcons about quarterback Matt Schaub and were "rebuffed."

Schaub's agent, David Dunn, declined comment. Free-agent quarterback Josh McCown signed with the Detroit Lions on Thursday. Craig Nall, a backup for the Green Bay Packers, visited with the Vikings on Monday, and he is meeting with the Buffalo Bills on Friday.

Patrick Ramsey, whom the Washington Redskins are trying to trade, is the only other young quarterback on the market. Joey Harrington reportedly is going to be released soon by the Lions.

On Wednesday, Vikings owner Zygi Wilf said Brad Johnson will be the team's starter in the short term. But he said the club is looking for Johnson's eventual successor. With three picks in the top 51 spots in next month's NFL draft, the Vikings have the flexibility to move up and possibly land one of the top three top quarterbacks (Matt Leinart, Vince Young and Jay Cutler).

Young would not appear to be a good fit for the Vikings' West Coast offense.

With their 17th or later pick, the Vikings could land Omar Jacobs of Bowling Green, Brodie Croyle of Alabama or Charlie Whitehurst of Clemson.

Meanwhile, Culpepper, e-mailed media outlets Thursday. The subject line was, "Farewell Minnesota Hello Miami." Culpepper thanked former Vikings coach Dennis Green for selecting him 11th overall in the 1999 NFL draft, and he thanked the Vikings fans "for cheering for me the last seven years with purple passion."

"I also want to thank my teammates who have battled with me in the football trenches," he said. "I wish the best for the Viking organization as they go forward under the new ownership group and coaching staff."
    Culpepper then brought up the infamous boat party incident in October, on Lake Minnetonka, for which he faces misdemeanor charges.

"Even though I cannot discuss in any detail the well-publicized alleged `boat incident,' I do have a message to the communities of Minnesota and Miami," he wrote. "I accept the responsibility and welcome the accountability of being a high-profile athlete. Without admitting to the ridiculous allegations, I do apologize for any embarrassment that this situation has caused the community, the organization and especially my family. I can handle the personal accusations because I know the truth. I expect the legal process to clear my name so that I can move on."

Culpepper then concluded that he looked forward to his Florida homecoming. "It felt like a dream come true when I walked into the Dolphins facility and met the coaches and administration," he wrote. "I can hardly wait to meet the Dolphin fans."

Former Vikings receiver Cris Carter weighed in on the Culpepper trade on Sirius NFL Radio. "You don't trade franchise quarterbacks," Carter said. "...You have a proven commodity, and now you're going to give up your proven commodity for a second-round pick? I don't know what these people are thinking about. I would never trade Daunte Culpepper unless they gave me a deal that I couldn't refuse."

Fullback update: Free-agent fullback William Henderson could make a decision on where he will play on Friday. Henderson visited with the Vikings on Wednesday, but money could be an issue.

The Vikings are not locked in on Henderson. The agent for Pro Bowl fullback Mack Strong said the Vikings have contacted him. Strong, who has spent his entire 12-year career with the Seattle Seahawks, could be reunited with guard Steve Hutchinson, whom the Vikings signed to a $49 million offer sheet Sunday.

"Obviously, something like that would play into his decision," said Brooks Henderson, Strong's agent. Henderson said the Vikings did not speak to him about contract terms. Several Internet reports said the Seahawks are inclined to match the Vikings' offer sheet for Hutchinson. Fullbacks Tony Richardson and Jerald Sowell also are available.

Briefly: Receiver Nate Burleson, who visited with the Seahawks on Friday, is scheduled to head to Houston for a meeting with the Texans on Monday.
    Burleson is a restricted free agent, and the Vikings can match any offer he receives. If the Vikings do not match, they would receive a third-round pick from the team that signs Burleson.

_Agent Joel Segal said four teams, including the Vikings, have contacted him during the past two days about defensive end Lance Johnstone.

_Center Melvin Fowler is expected to visit with the Saints this week, the New Orleans Times-Picayune reported.

Culpepper says good-bye to Vikings

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Culpepper says good-bye to Vikings, who are searching for QB

I was doing some reflecting.
    I was soo pissed off at Culpepper for acting like a spoiled brat when he was rehabbing his knee. It seems that the Vikings sold high. Right now, Cpepper could not fetch a 5th round draft pick. So, way to go Vikes.

KRob18 is offline Rookie

I think if Culpepper somehow became a starter somewhere and he played in the Dome, he'd get booed more than anyone whos played in the Dome.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

He would look good holding a clipboard.

PurpleGator is offline Hall of Famer

"Duffy15" wrote:
    I think if Culpepper somehow became a starter somewhere and he played in the Dome, he'd get booed more than anyone whos played in the Dome.
    He is use to getting Booed....

CULPEPPER BOO!!!!!

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

"Duffy15" wrote:
    he would be blitzed all day, i think that Childress would even take over the D's play calling for the game sending everyone after his ass!!
    ;D

Thanks josdin00