Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Culpepper gives stiff-arm to criticism by Childress

[size=18px]Culpepper gives stiff-arm to criticism by Childress[/size]

Staff And Wire Reports
    Last update: April 10, 2006 – 8:39 PM

Ex-Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper brushed off several rounds of criticism Monday from new Vikings coach Brad Childress, saying in a news conference that "people say what they want to say."

"People are going to make their own opinions," Culpepper added. "People who know me know the type of guy I am and know what I'm made of."

Childress raised questions about Culpepper's financial priorities as well as his refusal to rehabilitate his injured right knee at Winter Park. Speaking to Miami reporters for the first time since the Dolphins acquired him March 15, Culpepper said: "Everything that happened in Minnesota, I'm going to leave up there."

On other topics, Culpepper said:

• He will attach no special significance to the Vikings' Nov. 19 game at Miami. "That's just one game on the schedule," he said.

• He will visit Dr. James Andrews later this week for a checkup on his right knee. While his goal is to start the season opener, he will not rush the process. "Things are looking good," he said. "I'm not going to predict or rush myself or be unsmart about it. I know it's a very sensitive injury. Only a couple of people have had it and come back from it."

Kraft: 'That's lunacy'

Another NFL owner has criticized the Vikings for starting the infamous "poison pill" battle with Seattle. New England owner Robert Kraft told the Boston Globe that guard Steve Hutchinson's $49 million offer sheet was "very unfortunate."

"We gave the union something not on the negotiating table," Kraft said. "An ownership group gave it away. First, you don't give out a $49 million contract to a guard. That's lunacy. To allow legal staffs to come up with things they think are creative to circumvent our [free agency] system is not good."

Maroney among visitors

Former Gophers running back Laurence Maroney was one of four draft-eligible players who visited the Vikings on Monday.

Maroney, Stanford linebacker Jon Alston, Wisconsin tight end Owen Daniels and Georgia cornerback DeMario Minter all met with team officials at Winter Park. The foursome is the first of more than 30 players the Vikings plan to interview before the April 29-30 draft.

KEVIN SEIFERT

Etc.

• Dolphins running back Ricky Williams and his lawyer met with NFL counsel Jeff Pash, seeking to have the league overturn a positive drug test that could cost him the entire 2006 season. The results of the hearing won't be made known immediately.

• The NFL Players Association filed a grievance against the Titans on behalf of Steve McNair, accusing the team of breaching the QB's contract when it barred him from working out at its facility.

• Wide receiver Peerless Price rejoined the Bills, signing a four-year contract.

Culpepper gives stiff-arm to criticism by Childress

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

Re: Culpepper gives stiff-arm to criticism by Childress

What a piece of dirrt he turned out to be, I hope we punish him when we play him.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"UndisputedVike" wrote:
    What a piece of dirrt he turned out to be, I hope we punish him when we play him.
    :shock: Well I just don't want to hear anything from any of them anymore about the whole damn situation.

sirweeze is offline Starter

"singersp" wrote:
    • He will visit Dr. James Andrews later this week for a checkup on his right knee. While his goal is to start the season opener, he will not rush the process. "Things are looking good," he said. "I'm not going to predict or rush myself or be unsmart about it. I know it's a very sensitive injury. Only a couple of people have had it and come back from it."
    :shock:

iluvbigtds is offline Rookie

"singersp" wrote:
    Kraft: 'That's lunacy'

Another NFL owner has criticized the Vikings for starting the infamous "poison pill" battle with Seattle. New England owner Robert Kraft told the Boston Globe that guard Steve Hutchinson's $49 million offer sheet was "very unfortunate."

"We gave the union something not on the negotiating table," Kraft said. "An ownership group gave it away. First, you don't give out a $49 million contract to a guard. That's lunacy. To allow legal staffs to come up with things they think are creative to circumvent our [free agency] system is not good."
    Hmmm, let me think. Why would some owner be mad at another team for throwing away their cap space on 'only' a guard? Wouldn't a normal owner be happy with an opponent for overpaying for a more insignificant position? In fact, what did Bob Kraft ever have to do with this entire scenario? I wonder why he'd say that? Oh yeah, because the league got mad at us for coming up with something ingenious and want to spread some bad publicity in our direction and they used Kraft as the mouth.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

It's a cake-walk just walking and jogging on it. Wait till he has to run and be chased by 300 pound men. Totally different story.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Hutchinson wasn't signed to a 49 Million dollar contract, if Seattle matched and he played for Seattle, it would have become a 49 million dollar contract if he wasn't the highest paid lineman. But in essance it is a 16 million dollar contract...

Kraft is pissed because he can see the affects this will have on his chances of keeping his lineman and he is the biggest cheapskate owner in pro-football. Wansn't he the guy that gave Putin his Super Bowl ring to look at and Putin kept it! Hahahahah serves him right -- now THAT WAS LUNACY!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Who is willing to damge his other knee?

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"People are going to make their own opinions," Culpepper added. "People who know me know the type of guy I am and know what I'm made of."

Two words for Daunte, "PROVE IT!!!"...show the critics that they were wrong and they will shut up, show them that they were right, you will never escape the truth...END OF STORY!

Also, F*** Robert Kraft...he has gotten more Super Bowl wins than he deserves...people forget that he threatened to move the Patsies to Hartford not to long ago! I haven't...and I still think that Kraft is an A$$HOLE for doing that!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Del Rio Guest

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Hutchinson wasn't signed to a 49 Million dollar contract, if Seattle matched and he played for Seattle, it would have become a 49 million dollar contract if he wasn't the highest paid lineman. But in essance it is a 16 million dollar contract...

Kraft is pissed because he can see the affects this will have on his chances of keeping his lineman and he is the biggest cheapskate owner in pro-football. Wansn't he the guy that gave Putin his Super Bowl ring to look at and Putin kept it! Hahahahah serves him right -- now THAT WAS LUNACY!
    I think he is still signed to a 49 million dollar contract it's just not all guaranteed. He is still one of the highest paid linemen in the league. Kraft is pissed because he lost a lineman. He likes getting by with low payed players and he can't afford to compete with 49 million dollar non-skill position players. When a guy like Hutch signs a massive contract it gives other lineman in the league leverage to get similar deals.

It hurst owners like Kraft.

At the end of the day it is none of his goddamn buisiness. If we want to pay our lineman what he pays his rb's then good for us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast