Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Computer program helps NFL coaches

[April 20, 2006]
    Link

(UPI Science News Via Thomson Dialog NewsEdge)Indiana University scientists have created a computer program that can help NFL coaches call the next play or make other football-related decisions.

An IU senior researcher, Professor Charles Bower, and two partners from the business world -- Frank Frigo of Louisville, Ky., and Bo Durickovic of Austin, Texas -- created ZEUS, a computer model of football based on years of NFL statistics.

ZEUS is designed to do what coaches need to do during a game but can't: calculate the consequences of a decision before calling the next play, deciding to accept a penalty or decline it, whether to challenge an official's call, or whether to go for one extra point or two after a touchdown

Bower emphasized ZEUS is not a substitute for coaching skills, but can provide that elusive edge over the competition, noting, The ZEUS engine is powerful enough to simulate the equivalent of every game played in the history of the NFL in less than a second.

Added Bower: ZEUS takes the relative output of the simulation and performs an objective analysis of statistical significance and skill sensitivity. There is simply not a more accurate way to assess a critical play-calling decision in football.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Re: Computer program helps NFL coaches

Pretty soon we won't even need coaches, we'll just have computers send in the calls and the plays. Then we will have computers as players too, kind of like the cartoon The Jetsons!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Warp is offline Asst. Coach

Yeah i dont really think the teams should be able to use something like that. Imo it would make the game very dull. It would be like watching 2 computers play chess or something.

twiztedfait is offline Starter

These guys must have been bored......

Prophet Guest

There's about a 100% chance that they play fantasy football and were writing programs for themselves and then thought....let's get a grant and do this right.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Yeah you're probably right prophet!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    [April 20, 2006]
    Link

(UPI Science News Via Thomson Dialog NewsEdge)Indiana University scientists have created a computer program that can help NFL coaches call the next play or make other football-related decisions.

An IU senior researcher, Professor Charles Bower, and two partners from the business world -- Frank Frigo of Louisville, Ky., and Bo Durickovic of Austin, Texas -- created ZEUS, a computer model of football based on years of NFL statistics.

ZEUS is designed to do what coaches need to do during a game but can't: calculate the consequences of a decision before calling the next play, deciding to accept a penalty or decline it, whether to challenge an official's call, or whether to go for one extra point or two after a touchdown

Bower emphasized ZEUS is not a substitute for coaching skills, but can provide that elusive edge over the competition, noting, The ZEUS engine is powerful enough to simulate the equivalent of every game played in the history of the NFL in less than a second.

Added Bower: ZEUS takes the relative output of the simulation and performs an objective analysis of statistical significance and skill sensitivity. There is simply not a more accurate way to assess a critical play-calling decision in football.
    Hey! They owe me royalties!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

meh..

its just like the 'ask madden feature'

i say no comps.. just human mind power
    i m better than you, so just give up...

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Potus2028" wrote:
    meh..

I toss in an "Ask Madden" every now and then when I'm feeling lazy.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

damien927 is offline Asst. Coach

"Potus2028" wrote:
    meh..

Ask madden sucks.... It always calls a run on third and long and ALWAYS calls a zone coverage in any situation..... you might as well close your eyes and pick the dang play.

Thanks Lotza!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast