kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Colts pushing for a change in rookie contracts

"dcboardr41" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    I myself believe that rookies are extremely overpaid
    the should get rich deals, but very little should be guarenteed, most of it should be based on what the person does ON THE FIELD, look at jamarcus russell and brady quinn, making multi millions on the bench, its just not fair to the rest of the players in the NFL.
    True, but it's not Russell's or Quinn's fault they are benched.
    Another reason you can't punish rookies for the teams decisions.
    but still, you are paying unproven players millions of dollars and if they dont pan out its hurts the team extremely, he has a really good point
    But the teams are making that choice.
    Other times(adrian peterson) the player over achieves and the team is actually underpaying them. It is up to the team to evaluate and decide who will be successful. Sure if they are wrong it hurts the team but that is just part of the game. The team decides what they are willing to spend and how the contract is written, if they don't like it they can trade the player or the draft pick.
    I think their should be a limit on how much a team can guarentee a back-up tight end who has never produced. ;D
    like what i said before, for players like AD or Patrick Willis, the would have made alot cause of incentives in their contract, it would be a smart thing to do, just dont guarentee so much money in their original contract.
    And what happens if your rookie gets hurt?
    What happenes if a coach decides to try their star rookie on the kickoff team in preseason and he blows out a knee. Should it be tough luck? That's why the guareentee money is there. Fottball owners have no right to complain. They are the ones creating this problem and no contract in football is fully gaureenty. Imagine how much they will complain if it was the NBA!!!!!!!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

They shouldn't get rid of guaranteed money, but they need to put a cap on it.
    Some of the best players in the game don't make nearly as much as some rookies, but they have guaranteed money, they just don't have $35 million

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

"KrackerJack" wrote:
    Finally, high picked rookies are rediculously overpaid...they're unproven at the professional level...they are overpayed big time.
    Well said...I agree it should be a flat cap in the rookie round. You can adjust it by round, but I agree it's stupid to pay these unproven rookies this much money. Besides the remaining money should go to the VETS they have earned it.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"Vikes" wrote:
    "KrackerJack" wrote:
    Finally, high picked rookies are rediculously overpaid...they're unproven at the professional level...they are overpayed big time.
    Well said...I agree it should be a flat cap in the rookie round. You can adjust it by round, but I agree it's stupid to pay these unproven rookies this much money. Besides the remaining money should go to the VETS they have earned it.

No, that's a team by team decision, you can't single out a guy just because he's a rookie.
    If you want to cap guaranteed money you have to do it for everyone.
    If a team doesn't want to pay for the rook they should either not sign him or draft down end of story.
    Just because owners are cheap and looking for another way to keep some more money doesn't mean we all have to nod our heads in agreement.

I'll be happy with forced rookie incentive contracts when I can buy incentive priced football tickets.
    If the owners don't want to pay for the unproven rookies, then I shouldn't have to pay for a team at the start of the year that I don't know if they're going to win or not.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123