Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Colts pushing for a change in rookie contracts

    Finally, somebody with clout is preaching for the cause!

    http://beta.profootballtalk.com/2008/02/24/polian-calls-for-change-to-rookie-pay-system/
    [Colts President and GM] Polian is pushing for changes to the way that players in round one are paid...

    “The draft was designed to either allow the weakest teams, based on record, to choose the best players, or if they chose not to take a particular player, to gather a bunch of picks to further accelerate their growth and competitiveness,” Polian said.
    “That’s now been skewed by the cost of the picks in the first round.

    “When that’s skewed and changed because of the agents, that isn’t a good thing for the game.”
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  2. #2
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Colts pushing for a change in rookie contracts

    hopefully more teams will take note.
    But if 2009 is in fact an uncapped year, I can't see it happening.
    the big-market teams will have no problem paying these guys and I can't see them voting for this.

  3. #3
    Vikes_King's Avatar
    Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,104

    Re: Colts pushing for a change in rookie contracts

    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    hopefully more teams will take note.
    But if 2009 is in fact an uncapped year, I can't see it happening.
    the big-market teams will have no problem paying these guys and I can't see them voting for this.
    i havn't heard anything about an uncapped year.. but then again I havn't been reading enough lately.
    Having no caps in the NFL is just asking for problems..

    I completely agree that something needs to be done about how much $ first round draft picks are getting, 2007 was rediculous enough


    http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

    "We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

    - Dan Calabrese

  4. #4
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,278

    Re: Colts pushing for a change in rookie contracts

    I don't really like the idea. If teams are willing to spend the money why shouldn't they. If the team wants they can simply trade the pick away. Or a team can simply not sign all the players they drafted. The teams have just as much bargaining power as the player because they can simply force the player to sit out a year.

  5. #5
    Schutz's Avatar
    Schutz is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Colts pushing for a change in rookie contracts

    No, because first off the teams will still make all the money on jersey sales and what not, but the players just won't get there share.
    If this happened I could see rookies demanding 1 or 2 year contracts that they could get out of to get a big contract.

    The NFL made this monster with there business boom, it's not fair to punish rookies just because some cheap owners don't want to pay what other owners are willing to pay.
    This is why they have a cap, so if you decide you want this big name rookie you pay for him, if the Colts don't like it they can trade their picks for lower picks and get cheap guys, or FAs.
    If they take away this money opportunity for rookies then there should be a share of all merchandising profits for that player's likeness.

  6. #6
    dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,051

    Re: Colts pushing for a change in rookie contracts

    I myself believe that rookies are extremely overpaid
    the should get rich deals, but very little should be guarenteed, most of it should be based on what the person does ON THE FIELD, look at jamarcus russell and brady quinn, making multi millions on the bench, its just not fair to the rest of the players in the NFL.

    Pissing on the Pack since 08'

  7. #7
    Schutz's Avatar
    Schutz is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Colts pushing for a change in rookie contracts

    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    I myself believe that rookies are extremely overpaid
    the should get rich deals, but very little should be guarenteed, most of it should be based on what the person does ON THE FIELD, look at jamarcus russell and brady quinn, making multi millions on the bench, its just not fair to the rest of the players in the NFL.
    True, but it's not Russell's or Quinn's fault they are benched.
    Another reason you can't punish rookies for the teams decisions.

  8. #8
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Colts pushing for a change in rookie contracts

    This is still a capitalist society and if we really believe in it, then we should not be restricting what these athletes are bing paid at any talent level. The fans ultimately should dictate in a market what they are willing to pay and whether a franchise is financially viable. At least that is what they told me in Econ. ;D

  9. #9
    dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,051

    Re: Colts pushing for a change in rookie contracts

    "Schutz" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    I myself believe that rookies are extremely overpaid
    the should get rich deals, but very little should be guarenteed, most of it should be based on what the person does ON THE FIELD, look at jamarcus russell and brady quinn, making multi millions on the bench, its just not fair to the rest of the players in the NFL.
    True, but it's not Russell's or Quinn's fault they are benched.
    Another reason you can't punish rookies for the teams decisions.
    but still, you are paying unproven players millions of dollars and if they dont pan out its hurts the team extremely, he has a really good point

    Pissing on the Pack since 08'

  10. #10
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,278

    Re: Colts pushing for a change in rookie contracts

    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    I myself believe that rookies are extremely overpaid
    the should get rich deals, but very little should be guarenteed, most of it should be based on what the person does ON THE FIELD, look at jamarcus russell and brady quinn, making multi millions on the bench, its just not fair to the rest of the players in the NFL.
    True, but it's not Russell's or Quinn's fault they are benched.
    Another reason you can't punish rookies for the teams decisions.
    but still, you are paying unproven players millions of dollars and if they dont pan out its hurts the team extremely, he has a really good point
    But the teams are making that choice.
    Other times(adrian peterson) the player over achieves and the team is actually underpaying them. It is up to the team to evaluate and decide who will be successful. Sure if they are wrong it hurts the team but that is just part of the game. The team decides what they are willing to spend and how the contract is written, if they don't like it they can trade the player or the draft pick.
    I think their should be a limit on how much a team can guarentee a back-up tight end who has never produced. ;D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The worst contracts in NFL history
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-20-2009, 01:35 PM
  2. Viking Contracts Through 2010
    By purplepride818 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-24-2006, 03:37 AM
  3. WR & OL signed contracts from practice squad.
    By Prophet in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-12-2006, 10:04 PM
  4. How ALL sports contracts should be written
    By cajunvike in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-01-2005, 06:08 PM
  5. Contracts
    By josdin00 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-11-2004, 11:23 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •