Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    tjohnson is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Colts Lock Up Wayne For Nearly 40 Million

"Benet" wrote:
    Gotta agree with you Vikes, Reggie Wayne is a stud. And congrats on him sealing a MAMMOTH contract from the Colts. If they think he's worth that much to them, then fair play... HOWEVER.. Reggie is always going to be stuck with the stigma that his numbers come as a direct result of what happens on the other side of the field. In that sense the comparisons to how Nate Burleson performed in 2004 alongside Randy Moss; just for the record Burleson caught 68 passes for 1006 yards and 9 TD's. The questions raised here about Reggie Wayne will persist until the season he makes those kind of number he's already shown, but WITHOUT Marvin Harrison lining up on the other side of the field.
    exactly. not to mention he has manning throwing to him who'll make anybody look like a stud. as i mentioned earlier, he made brandon stokely look like vintage jerry rice running those slant patterns in 04-05.

If the Colts had signed Randel El or David Givens, I really believe the dropoff in production would be minimal.

How do ya like them apples?!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Vikes" wrote:
    Reggie Wayne is nasty sorry to bust a lot of people's bubbles.
    Nasty is one thing, but 40 million is another?

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Man,

I could own my own Island in the Philippines with that kinda dough....

Amazing what teams will pay sometimes......

I guess this meens Edge is out the door for sure now....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

I don't know if Reggie's new contract necessarily means Edge is out the door.. I remember the same things were being said about Manning and Marvin Harrison when Manning signed that MONSTER deal with the Colts. Despite throwing $100 million at Manning, $30 million of which they've already given him (he got two $15 million installments during the season, one at the beginning and one at the end), the Colts have managed to lock up Harrison (for quite a pretty penny too, but I can't remember exactly how much), and now Reggie Wayne! I don't think they would have given Wayne so much money if they didn't think they could work out a way to offer Edge a deal that, while not on par with LaDainian Tomlinson's, will be somewhere around the figure that Rudi Johnson signed: $26 million including $12 million guaranteed. If he turns that down, then he'll probably try and test the open market but I honestly doubt if he managed to sign a deal with more money than that.

Of course all of that will be blown out of the water if he ends up signing the Franchise Tender, however unlikely that is.

"Benet" wrote:
    I don't know if Reggie's new contract necessarily means Edge is out the door.. I remember the same things were being said about Manning and Marvin Harrison when Manning signed that MONSTER deal with the Colts. Despite throwing $100 million at Manning, $30 million of which they've already given him (he got two $15 million installments during the season, one at the beginning and one at the end), the Colts have managed to lock up Harrison (for quite a pretty penny too, but I can't remember exactly how much), and now Reggie Wayne! I don't think they would have given Wayne so much money if they didn't think they could work out a way to offer Edge a deal that, while not on par with LaDainian Tomlinson's, will be somewhere around the figure that Rudi Johnson signed: $26 million including $12 million guaranteed. If he turns that down, then he'll probably try and test the open market but I honestly doubt if he managed to sign a deal with more money than that.

Of course all of that will be blown out of the water if he ends up signing the Franchise Tender, however unlikely that is.
    I see what your saying Benet, but one thing you have to think about is, Edge I'm sure considers himself an elite back in this league, and with the contract the Colts have agreed apon with Wayne he is going to have to swallow some humble pie to recieve less money than his teamate Wayne.

I truly believe this is hard if not impossible for some athletes to swallow.....

Maybe Edge can and will, but I believe when players become elite in not only the league but in their minds, and in this case rightfully so. They want to be recognized and paid for it, not put in the back seat and thrown a bone, even though it may be a big bone at that....

"VikingNed" wrote:
    I see what your saying Benet, but one thing you have to think about is, Edge I'm sure considers himself an elite back in this league, and with the contract the Colts have agreed apon with Wayne he is going to have to swallow some humble pie to recieve less money than his teamate Wayne.

I truly believe this is hard if not impossible for some athletes to swallow.....

Maybe Edge can and will, but I believe when players become elite in not only the league but in their minds, and in this case rightfully so. They want to be recognized and paid for it, not put in the back seat and thrown a bone, even though it may be a big bone at that....
    Good point mate, I didn't think about that. Someone on these boards linked to some articles/interviews with Edge from a few years ago.. And reading those makes me understand your point entirely. I concentrated on the fact that the Colts could probably offer Edge a contract of market value for a veteran Running Back, but didn't think about how he'd feel after seeing the #2 receiver on his team blow the curve on contracts at that position.

Taking your point into consideration; do you think we could see the same kinda deal that happened with Ty Law and Steve McNair? I mean that in the sense that Edge could move to a team that offers him a contract that on first glance looks like it'll blow almost everything else out of the water (except for Tomlinson's.. I doubt we'll see a deal as big as his for a LONG time) but will in fact be a hyped-up 2 or 3 year deal for less than half the contractual amount, due to a massive option bonus that will force the team (whoever that may be) to renegotiate before the bonus is paid..?

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

Whatever Manning wants, he gets. Wow!
    If that is true then the Edge aint leaving Indy, Manning has said it a few times in interviews that he wants to see Edge's contract figured out so he is on the team. Peyton has even said Edge is his best friend on the field and he has saved his behind so many times on the field he has total trust with him in the backfield.

Seems like an awful lot to pay for a receiver, especially when you have Manning as your QB. He made Brandon Stokely (albeit a very solid NFL player but by no stretch an elite receiver) look like vintage Jerry Rice running those slant patterns in 2004-05
    Oh yeah i forgot the reciever has nothing to do with it when manning is on the field. Its the recievers job to run the routes right and get to the ball when need be. I just dont get how people think that it is the quarterback who makes the recievers look good, ever think that the recievers make the quarterbacks look good?

Harrison, Wayne and stokely are all very good recievers they just happen to have peyton throwing them the ball.

"Benet" wrote:
    "VikingNed" wrote:

Good point mate, I didn't think about that. Someone on these boards linked to some articles/interviews with Edge from a few years ago.. And reading those makes me understand your point entirely. I concentrated on the fact that the Colts could probably offer Edge a contract of market value for a veteran Running Back, but didn't think about how he'd feel after seeing the #2 receiver on his team blow the curve on contracts at that position.

Taking your point into consideration; do you think we could see the same kinda deal that happened with Ty Law and Steve McNair? I mean that in the sense that Edge could move to a team that offers him a contract that on first glance looks like it'll blow almost everything else out of the water (except for Tomlinson's.. I doubt we'll see a deal as big as his for a LONG time) but will in fact be a hyped-up 2 or 3 year deal for less than half the contractual amount, due to a massive option bonus that will force the team (whoever that may be) to renegotiate before the bonus is paid..?
    It's called, being smart enough to know what kind of deal your really signing and knowing your agent is getting the best for you in the long run.....
    Personaly, I believe all agents work on both sides of the fence, just like lawyers do (sorry cajun......NOT) ....but it's up to the player to have enough knowledge also, to know whats best for themselves....I believe alot of players don't. Sure you have some very smart players in the NFL, but you also have a great number who aren't..

Many have gotten here on their athletic skills and thats all.

Scholerships, people covering their assess, and getting picked in the draft============ Big Payday..

Listen to some players interview sometimes, there are many that can't even speek proper......Never mind figure out Multi Million dollar contracts with all those hidden clauses that their agents probably don't take time to explain completely, but sugar coat it instead..

"VikingNed" wrote:
    It's called, being smart enough to know what kind of deal your really signing and knowing your agent is getting the best for you in the long run.....
    Personaly, I believe all agents work on both sides of the fence, just like lawyers do (sorry cajun......NOT) ....but it's up to the player to have enough knowledge also, to know whats best for themselves....I believe alot of players don't. Sure you have some very smart players in the NFL, but you also have a great number who aren't..

Many have gotten here on their athletic skills and thats all.

Scholerships, people covering their assess, and getting picked in the draft============ Big Payday..

Listen to some players interview sometimes, there are many that can't even speek proper......Never mind figure out Multi Million dollar contracts with all those hidden clauses that their agents probably don't take time to explain completely, but sugar coat it instead..
    Very true. You say the players might not be able to understand the contract's they're signing, but some of the agents do it too! I assume you've read the Profootballtalk.com reports on the Postons screwing up LaVar Arrington's contract by not reading it properly.. It's certainly going to be interesting to see what kinda deal Edge ends up signing, because a Running Back at the top of the draft is more likely to sign a better deal than someone like Edge who has performed at the highest level for 4 years! Well.. unless your name is Clinton Portis or LaDainian Tomlinson, of course.

I mean if nobody was willing to give up a second-round pick for Edge last year, how much does he honestly think he's going to get in the open market?!

tjohnson is offline Asst. Coach

"PackSux!" wrote:
    Whatever Manning wants, he gets. Wow!
    If that is true then the Edge aint leaving Indy, Manning has said it a few times in interviews that he wants to see Edge's contract figured out so he is on the team. Peyton has even said Edge is his best friend on the field and he has saved his behind so many times on the field he has total trust with him in the backfield.

Seems like an awful lot to pay for a receiver, especially when you have Manning as your QB. He made Brandon Stokely (albeit a very solid NFL player but by no stretch an elite receiver) look like vintage Jerry Rice running those slant patterns in 2004-05
    Oh yeah i forgot the reciever has nothing to do with it when manning is on the field. Its the recievers job to run the routes right and get to the ball when need be. I just dont get how people think that it is the quarterback who makes the recievers look good, ever think that the recievers make the quarterbacks look good?

Harrison, Wayne and stokely are all very good recievers they just happen to have peyton throwing them the ball.

I'm not saying they're not good receivers, I'm just saying that every WR in the NFL can catch balls and run routes. Manning inflates any receivers stats b/c he's that good. Would Wayne put up the same stats if he didn't line up opposite Harrison and instead had Jim Sorgi throwing him the ball?

How do ya like them apples?!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast