Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Coin Flips are Found to Be Statistically Flawed!

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/39755/coin_flips_are_found_to_be_statistically_flawed!_l ets_overhaul_everything!

[size=12pt]Coin Flips are Found to Be Statistically Flawed! Let's Overhaul Everything![/size]
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009
    Posted By Michael Tunison 5:00 PM

People who dislike the NFL's current overtime format always lead with the glib criticism that it only comes down to who wins the coin toss. While it's true that teams that win the toss often prevail, the claim does discount the not insignificant difficulty of having to drive the ball the length of the field and score. "But waaaahhhh! Both teams might not get the ball! Unfair!"

But now there's added fuel to their contrarian fire because researchers at Stanford and UC Santa Cruz have found that coin flips disproportionately favor the side of the coin that was facing up at the time that it was put in the air.

Their findings state that coin flips will land with the same side facing up as at the start of the coin flip on at least 51 percent of the time, and perhaps as many as 55 to 60 percent of the flips.

"The way we flip coins creates a bias, and that makes it stay more time in the position it starts in," contributing author of the research Susan Holmes told the San Jose Mercury News.
    Possessing this knowledge, team captains will surely take an extra glance at the coin in the referee's hand before it is flipped. In fact, 49ers center Eric Heitman already told the paper that it will change the way he prepares for the coin flip.
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Coin Flips are Found to Be Statistically Flawed!

"Zeus" wrote:
    http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/39755/coin_flips_are_found_to_be_statistically_flawed!_l ets_overhaul_everything!

[size=12pt]Coin Flips are Found to Be Statistically Flawed! Let's Overhaul Everything![/size]
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009
    Posted By Michael Tunison 5:00 PM

People who dislike the NFL's current overtime format always lead with the glib criticism that it only comes down to who wins the coin toss. While it's true that teams that win the toss often prevail, the claim does discount the not insignificant difficulty of having to drive the ball the length of the field and score. "But waaaahhhh! Both teams might not get the ball! Unfair!"

But now there's added fuel to their contrarian fire because researchers at Stanford and UC Santa Cruz have found that coin flips disproportionately favor the side of the coin that was facing up at the time that it was put in the air.

Their findings state that coin flips will land with the same side facing up as at the start of the coin flip on at least 51 percent of the time, and perhaps as many as 55 to 60 percent of the flips.

"The way we flip coins creates a bias, and that makes it stay more time in the position it starts in," contributing author of the research Susan Holmes told the San Jose Mercury News.
    Possessing this knowledge, team captains will surely take an extra glance at the coin in the referee's hand before it is flipped. In fact, 49ers center Eric Heitman already told the paper that it will change the way he prepares for the coin flip.
    =Z=
    As well, I saw a stat somewhere else, I don't remember exacly so my nubmers may be off, but the percentages aren't.

out of 21 overtime games last year, only 10 were won by whoever won the flip.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Re: Coin Flips are Found to Be Statistically Flawed!

I suggest a game of Pin-the-Tail-on-the-Donkey to decide who gets the ball in overtime.

There's no statistical bias and everyone has fun. Afterwords they can serve cake and juice.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.