Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classy Players

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

Classy Players

OK, some of us may be old and old fashioned, but after seeing the thread about who do you miss the most, I decided to create this post that I have been thinking about for some time.

Over the years, the NFL has increased its fan appeal, and its entertainment factor. Guys like Moss, Chad Johnson, Keyshawn, and others have brought endzone dances and sack dances to a new level.

However, I miss the days and players who just played the game for the love of the game and did their job.

Guys like Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, Robert Smith, Marcus Allen.

I know there are many others, but I am curious if others feel the same way as I do, and who they really liked watching, because he was a great player and a class act.

ViKing24 is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Classy Players

Ya especially like Chad Johnson who won't miss his oppurtunity to do a dance in the endzone. Plus all these players making a ridiculous amount of money while having fun at it. What kind of job do they have they have fun and make tons of money and complain that they aren't making ends meat? I liked the ones that knew not to talk to much like smoot and then get their a** burned on the next play.

Formerly Viking24

sirweeze is offline Starter

Don't worry, I think a lot of people feel the same way you do, me included.

Not just with the NFL either. I barely ever watch any NBA at all under any circumstance, and the only time I ever do is out of respect for KG, who busts his ass every single night (well, not recently)

Some of it has to do with players thinking they're a LOT better than they really are. (Marbury, Franchise and Arenas in the NBA; Meshawn, Winslow and McGahee in the NFL are all good examples of this)

Some of it has to do with the media age we're currently living in. 24 hours, 7 days a week of constant highlights, talking heads and fluff. That said, lot of people are more than willing to pimp themselves (read: make morons of themselves) any chance they get in hopes of putting their name out there, which leads to commercials, higher jersey sales, endorsements, etc.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Luckily there are still guys like that out there.

Look fx at Marvin Harrinson. He's one of the best, but you never see him hyping himself. Allways just hand the ball to the ref.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

I always thought Corey Chavous was one of the classiest players in the NFL...Ill miss him especially for that
    As far as Vikings players I think you have to talk about Matt Birk, he represents class on and off the field.

minvikes01 is offline Pro-Bowler

brad johnson seems like a classy guy to me, a superbowl ring and coming back here to back up culpepper. but i guess things work out for him, being starter now and all. he just seems like a classy guy, coming back to minny and helping us out

Thanks to PPE for the awesome Sig.

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

"sirweeze" wrote:
    Don't worry, I think a lot of people feel the same way you do, me included.

Not just with the NFL either. I barely ever watch any NBA at all under any circumstance, and the only time I ever do is out of respect for KG, who busts his jiggly butt every single night (well, not recently)

Some of it has to do with players thinking they're a LOT better than they really are. (Marbury, Franchise and Arenas in the NBA; Meshawn, Winslow and McGahee in the NFL are all good examples of this)

Some of it has to do with the media age we're currently living in. 24 hours, 7 days a week of constant highlights, talking heads and fluff. That said, lot of people are more than willing to pimp themselves (read: make morons of themselves) any chance they get in hopes of putting their name out there, which leads to commercials, higher jersey sales, endorsements, etc.
    Ahhh...the NBA.....smacktalk showboating superstars that dont play hard. By far the worst sport out there when it comes to just doing your job. Guys like Bird, Magic, Jabbar, Dr J......they represented class and hard work.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Matt Birk :wink:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

stud_17 is offline Waterboy

I think the NFL players should follow the advice I received about scoring a touchdown, don't act like you've never been there before.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Warrick Dunn and Jerome Bettis. Mostly for the work they do outside of football.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast