snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

CJ, TO & TW the same caliber WR?

Not another TO thread!!

I can't find stats for Dropped passes to compare the two directly but I will keep looking.

They both have dropped key passes that and I think I saw that they are 1 and 2 in the league for passes dropped.

http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstorync/stories/101206cpcowlede.314fe08.html
    Owens' issues seem to be more with his involvement in the game plan than with any one player, even though he had a team-high 13 passes directed his way against the Eagles. Only Buffalo's Lee Evans (14) had more passes thrown to him Sunday, and that was in a blowout loss against Chicago.

Owens' statistics(2006) would be better if he hadn't dropped six passes in four games, including two that would have been touchdowns.

Coach Bill Parcells said Owens has been involved heavily in the first four games, but factors such as pressure on Bledsoe, poor decisions by the quarterback and mental errors by Owens have contributed to the receiver's slow start.

News: Terrell Owens caught seven passes for 76 yards and a touchdown in Week 9, but dropped two chances for big plays.
    Impact: T.O. beat the defense deep in the third quarter and dropped a perfect throw that would have led to a 75-yard score. The bright side: T.O.'s after-the-catch explosiveness is back. He looked stronger and faster in this game than all year, and Tony Romo keeps feeding him the ball. (Sun. Nov 5, 2006)

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/football/15941542.htm
    "He played with a lot of composure," Cowboys receiver Terry Glenn said. "Tony did a good enough job to put us in a position to win the game."

Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens failed Romo on what was his most impressive pass of the day. Romo lofted a perfect deep ball to Owens over the coverage and into the superstar's hands. But Owens dropped the pass that likely would have ended with a touchdown. A catch could have given the Cowboys a 26-12 lead late in the third quarter.

Nice Statistical Article!
    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ramblings.php?p=2818&cat=11
    2004 Drops Leaders
    Player Team Drops
    Chad Johnson CIN 14
    Darrell Jackson SEA 11
    Donald Driver GB 11
    Az-Zahir Hakim DET 11
    Koren Robinson SEA 10
    Keary Colbert CAR 10
    Jimmy Smith JAX 10

Highest Drop Percentage, Top 5
    Player Team Target Drop Drop %
    Az-Zahir Hakim DET 57 11 17.5%
    Koren Robinson SEA 67 10 14.9%
    Darius Watts DEN 53 6 11.3%
    Antonio Bryant CLE* 72 8 11.1%
    Keary Colbert CAR 92 10 10.9%
    *Bryant’s stats are from Cleveland only

Lowest Drop Percentage, Top 5
    Player Team Target Drop Drop %
    Deion Branch NE 51 0 0.0%
    David Givens NE 106 1 0.9%
    Torry Holt STL 137 2 1.5%
    Jabar Gaffney HOU 68 1 1.5%
    Michael Clayton TB 122 2 1.6%
    I will take a few things from this, these stats are why Az is no longer desired in the league and why I was never to high on K-Rob.
    It also show that even someone who drops a lot can be a top WR if they have a big mouth, some speed and a QB to get them the ball down field, Chad Johnson

Funny how the Seahawks got Branch this year.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/10/vikings-dropped-passes041006.html
    The inability to catch the ball started in the first game and has reared its ugly head in all four games. In Week 1, second-year receiver Troy Williamson dropped three passes, one of which was a perfectly thrown bomb that went right through his hands and bounced off his chest. Later in the game, he dropped a pass that would have been a first down. Thereafter, the Vikings were forced to punt.

It isn't just Williamson who's been having trouble catching the football. Although, he did have a couple mishaps in a Week 3 loss to the Bears and dropped two more passes against the Bills Sunday. And once again, one of the drops was on a perfectly thrown long pass down the sideline that fell through his arms.

Throughout the first four games sure-handed tight end Jermaine Wiggins has dropped a pass, and tight end Jimmy Kleinsasser has missed a few catchable balls thrown his way.

The biggest drop of all may have come from Marcus Robinson against the Bills. He turned in an outstanding performance, hauling in five passes for 78 yards and making a diving catch in the end zone, ending the Vikings' touchdown drought of 12 quarters. Still, it was the catch he didn't make that may have cost the Vikings a victory.

With one minute remaining, trailing 17-12, Robinson found himself wide open down the right sideline. Quarterback Brad Johnson heaved the ball in Robinson's direction. The tall receiver ran under it, stumbled when the ball hit his hands, and dropped the ball as he collided with the ground inside the Bills' 20-yard line.

"I absolutely should have caught that. Anything that touches my hand, I should have it. I tried to tuck it, my arms hit the ground and it fell out. I've got to make that play," said Robinson.

He's right. In all likelihood, if the 6-foot-3 receiver makes the reception, the Vikings probably score and win the game.

However, his quote rings true for the entire Vikings receiving corps. Anything that touches their hands should be caught. Unfortunately for Johnson and the offense, the drops continue to occur.

vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: TO & TW the same caliber WR?

the thing is though steve smith and a couple of those other WRs get the ball thrown to them a whole bunch during games, unlike Twill and company.

Re: CJ, TO & TW the same caliber WR?

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/sports/pros/article_1345836.php

Williamson continues to drop the ball

The expectation coming out of training camp was that receiver Troy Williamson was ready to fulfill the promise that made him the Minnesota Vikings' seventh overall pick in the 2005 draft. But eight games into the season, Williamson continues to be plagued by the ailment no receiver can afford: an inability to consistently catch the football.

Williamson dropped two passes Sunday in the Vikings' 9-3 loss at San Francisco. The most crucial drop came on a third-and-7 play with the ball at the 49ers' 27-yard line and 1 minute, 15 seconds remaining in the game. Quarterback Brad Johnson's subsequent pass on fourth down for Bethel Johnson was broken up and essentially ended the game.

"I can pretty much say that I've been waiting around too long, and I just have to do the little things that make me better as receiver," said Williamson, who had one catch for 4 yards. "I have got to make sure that I concentrate on the ball and everything before trying to do anything else."
    Maybe if TW came out with Ocho Duece on his uni, we would forget all about his dropped passes on this season.
    Same goes for TO.
    You pull off big distractions and nobody wants to talk about your drops. It is like a magic trick. LOL

"vikes09" wrote:
    the thing is though steve smith and a couple of those other WRs get the ball thrown to them a whole bunch during games, unlike Twill and company.
    Then that mean that TW has a HIGHER percentage of drops then.

1 drop out of 10 is 10%
    1 drop out of 4 is 25%

I would rather through to the guy that drops it only 10% than the guy that drops it 25% of the time.
    I would have to look u the stats, but my guess would be that TO and CJ get the ball thrown to them more often than TW does.
    We tried to make TW our go to guy from the beginning of the season.

After I wrote this yesterday, I sat down and watch SportsCenter and they had a little 5 minute segment on TO and his drops. LOL!

bump!

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

and this is why holt and harrison are the best two WR in the league. when was the last time these guys dropped a big pass?
    We're bringing purple back.

vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "vikes09" wrote:
    Then that mean that TW has a HIGHER percentage of drops then.
    in theory... ;D

seriously though in 2005-06 steve smith had 103 catches. the panthers WR that caught the 2nd most passes had a mere 25. foster had 34. those 2 combined are about 40 catches short of tying with steve smith in catches. the panthers force feed him the ball ALOT and the ball ends up around him ALOT. snow, i understand what you're saying, but the stat i was refering to wasnt the % of dropped passes but the # of dropped passes.

point being, some receivers are going to have more drops than other receivers simply because they get more chances to put the ball in their hands.

"gregair13" wrote:
    and this is why holt and harrison are the best two WR in the league. when was the last time these guys dropped a big pass?
    Those two also know how to get open.
    They run routes like it is brain surgery.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

TO and Harrison also have about 100 touchdown receptions each. I think TW is a little shy of that mark. If he was making a ton of great catches and scoring touchdowns we could be a little more understanding of a drop or two.

Vikingryche is offline Rookie

Lets see the other side of that argument. Sayin they get the ball thrown to them more, well you say Terell Owens drops because he is not involved in offense,
    is getting 3 passes thrown your way being involved in offense..