BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Civilized scalping could lead to astronomical ticket prices

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/071211

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Civilized scalping could lead to astronomical ticket prices

I doubt that would happen.

I think the market for tickets is pretty elastic. With the presentation we get on television, especially with the emergence of HDTV, it is unlikely that ticket prices would be pushed too high. At some point, fans will say "screw it" and walk away and settle for watching it on TV.

You will always have some fans that will pay anything, but I think most red blooded Americans would rather feed their families than get Vikings season tickets.

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

I don't think this will work. First if seats don't sell out well then no game on TV? Which is completey a dumb law considering tax payers paid for the stadium in the first place. Also the other problem when you have teams such as ATL and SAN FRAN playing who is going to bid on those tickets? This might work for Bowl games and the Super bowl but not through out the season.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Vikes" wrote:
    I don't think this will work. First if seats don't sell out well then no game on TV? Which is completey a dumb law considering tax payers paid for the stadium in the first place. Also the other problem when you have teams such as ATL and SAN FRAN playing who is going to bid on those tickets? This might work for Bowl games and the Super bowl but not through out the season.

It isn't law, it is the NFL's policy.
    And it is designed to keep the seats filled - otherwise people could simply watch it on TV instead.

As for the civilized scalping - scalping laws are controlled by the states or counties.
    If ticket were simply auctioned for every game, it wouldn't take long for the government to step in and reapply the scalping laws - forcing teams to put an open market face value on the tickets, and making it illegal to sell for more than that.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Vikes" wrote:

And it is designed to keep the seats filled - otherwise people could simply watch it on TV instead.

As for the civilized scalping - scalping laws are controlled by the states or counties.
    If ticket were simply auctioned for every game, it wouldn't take long for the government to step in and reapply the scalping laws - forcing teams to put an open market face value on the tickets, and making it illegal to sell for more than that.

Sorry you are correct it's not a LAW per say. I really meant it was an NFL policy. The point I really was saying was public money was used to build the stadium. So there for it should NOT be subject to a blackout because it did not sell out.

I need to admit I'm ALL about free-markets I just think this auctioning of tickets is a double-edge sword. It just does not seem right. Then you will have concert tickets, all sorts of major events going to this model. I just think it will be a pain in the a$$.

I want to go see someone play I want to buy the ticket and be done. I don't want to have an EBay experience waiting to see if I won the seat.

Could you imagine going to rent a car and you need to bid on the car or hotel room?
    Where does it stop?

Just my take.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Vikes" wrote:

The scalping laws don't work. First off Brokers aren't subject to the policy. Secondly, anyone who has ever bought or sold tix on eBay knows they allow scalping on there. The seller just jacks up the face value of the tix & eBay still allows it.

I have turned in dozens of sellers & not a single one of them had their auction pulled.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Civilized scalping could lead to astronomical ticket prices -Ticket Master-

Well it's here. Someone earlier called it.

The NFL inks deal with Ticketmaster for reselling tickets

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22305047/