singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Chiefs’ pick still isn’t high enough

[size=13pt]Chiefs’ pick still isn’t high enough[/size]

Posted on Sat, Apr. 19, 2008 10:15 PM

Joe Posnanski
    kansascity.com

The Chiefs, as you no doubt have heard several thousand times in the last couple of weeks, have the fifth pick in Saturday’s NFL draft. It is their highest pick in almost 20 years, going back to 1989 when they snagged Derrick Thomas at No. 4.

But here’s what you really need to know: It’s not high enough.....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Chiefs’ pick still isn’t high enough

The Chiefs have somehow gotten themselves into a mathematical maze that they cannot escape. The fifth pick has turned into the worst pick around for Kansas City. The Chiefs desperately want one of two players. And both will be gone.
    There you go Marr. That's what I'm talking about. If the Vikings kept their trade with the Chiefs a secret until the 17th round, it fucks up their draft & is detrimental to them.

The players KC is targeting will be gone by the 5th pick. If they have the 17th pick & another 3rd as well & it is known before hand, the Chiefs have bargaining chips that they can use to move up in the draft & get one or both of the players they want.

The closer it gets to draft day without a deal being done by the Chiefs, the less time they have to make a deal with teams picking 1st thru 4th.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    The Chiefs have somehow gotten themselves into a mathematical maze that they cannot escape. The fifth pick has turned into the worst pick around for Kansas City. The Chiefs desperately want one of two players. And both will be gone.
    There you go Marr. That's what I'm talking about. If the Vikings kept their trade with the Chiefs a secret until the 17th round, it fucks up their draft & is detrimental to them.

The players KC is targeting will be gone by the 5th pick. If they have the 17th pick & another 3rd as well & it is known before hand, the Chiefs have bargaining chips that they can use to move up in the draft & get one or both of the players they want.

The closer it gets to draft day without a deal being done by the Chiefs, the less time they have to make a deal with teams picking 1st thru 4th.
    Your making my point.
    They have nothing to gain by tipping thier hand early.
    Why do you think they want so many picks and why do you think they want them so high.

Just for fun....Add KCs pick at 5 and then add the 17th.
    Then add KC's pick at five and a second day pick, say 48.
    Its no secret that they want to move up and get the kid they target.
    Problem is they don't have the fire power to do that and still get alot of young kids in if they have to give up thier lower round picks to boot.

The Chiefs also might get bold and trade up a couple of spots — though that seems unlikely because the Chiefs really don’t have any extra draft picks to spare. Chiefs coach Herm Edwards says he wants to get five starters out of the draft. Five. They need all the picks they can get.
    Again, its all a part of the big game that won't unfold until next weekend.
    Problem is, we as fans are chomping at the bit and want it done now cause that is our nature.
    Truth of the matter is, KC is hoping that over time a better offer will be shoved in thier face that will allow them to go up and get that guy they covet.

Ahhhh, the drama.
    Isn't it fun.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Your making my point.
    Why do you think they want so many picks and why do you think they want them so high.

Problem is they don't have the fire power to do that and still get alot of young kids in if they have to give up thier lower round picks to boot.

The Chiefs also might get bold and trade up a couple of spots — though that seems unlikely because the Chiefs really don’t have any extra draft picks to spare. Chiefs coach Herm Edwards says he wants to get five starters out of the draft. Five. They need all the picks they can get.
    Problem is, we as fans are chomping at the bit and want it done now cause that is our nature.
    Truth of the matter is, KC is hoping that over time a better offer will be shoved in thier face that will allow them to go up and get that guy they covet.

Ahhhh, the drama.
    Isn't it fun.
    ;D
    No, I'm not making your point. I'm dispelling your theory. The Chiefs want to move up from #5 to an earlier pick. Exactly how does waiting until the 17th pick to divulge the info that they made a trade with the the Vikings help them do that?

FYI, the 17th pick happens after the 5th.

Their earlier pick will be long done by that time. They are going to want that pick/picks known before the draft to be able to use them as chips to move up in the draft.

If they wait until draft day to try & do that, they will have only minutes to work a trade with one of those 4 teams.

Hell, we can't work out a deal in 48 hours yet you seem to think they can work one out with another team on draft day in a matter of minutes.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Chiefs want bodies to rebuild not picks to move up to get one body as they are rebuilding

Should the Chiefs Consider Trading Up?
    By Ryan Brown | March 7th, 2008

There is one HUGE argument for not trading up - Ryan Sims.
    He is a prime example of what happens when you over-evaluate talent, and how a busted pick can tarnish your team for years to come.
    Top-five pick is not as coveted as it once was
    By ADAM TEICHER
    The Kansas City Star

“Financially, it’s a pretty big step what these top five, top 10 players are getting,” said Peterson, who participated in the NFL meetings last week in Palm Beach, Fla. “Compound that with having to pay a high price in draft picks to move up and people are very reluctant to do that. That’s why you don’t see much trading up in the top 10 and probably won’t see any trading up into the top five.

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Your making my point.

Ahhhh, the drama.
    Isn't it fun.

;D
    No, I'm not making your point. I'm dispelling your theory. The Chiefs want to move up from #5 to an earlier pick. Exactly how does waiting until the 17th pick to divulge the info that they made a trade with the the Vikings help them do that?

Their earlier pick will be long done by that time. They are going to want that pick/picks known before the draft to be able to use them as chips to move up in the draft.

If they wait until draft day to try & do that, they will have only minutes to work a trade with one of those 4 teams.

Hell, we can't work out a deal in 48 hours yet you seem to think they can work one out with another team on draft day in a matter of minutes.
    Dispelling what theory.
    That there is no rush to announce something today?
    That they can sit and wait and take offers all the way up to draft day?
    Gimme a break.

Of course I said they could waitn up until the our time has expired to announce the deal but that statement was given in another context as a means to help people understand how long they could actually sit and wait on this.

Quit trying to clould the picture with your negative drivel.
    It doesn't become you.

;D(Lots of smiley faces) ;D

Think positive.
    We will know in due time that our front office has done the right thing in this regard.

;D

By the way, do you really believe that a deal in part hasn't already been written/structured? I do. Infact I believe that deal is done to the degree that if KC doesn't accept our picks we can/will sign him to an offer sheet shortly after the draft as a last resort.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Your making my point.

Ahhhh, the drama.
    Isn't it fun.
    ;D

Dispelling what theory.
    Gimme a break.

Of course I said they could waitn up until the our time has expired to announce the deal but that statement was given in another context as a means to help people understand how long they could actually sit and wait on this.

It doesn't become you.

Think positive.
    We will know in due time that our front office has done the right thing in this regard.
    ;D

By the way, do you really believe that a deal in part hasn't already been written/structured? I do. Infact I believe that deal is done to the degree that if KC doesn't accept our picks we can/will sign him to an offer sheet shortly after the draft as a last resort.

I'm not being negative, I'm just throwing the scenarios out there. Allen may be gone, but his agent is still there & I don't expect him to leave until a deal is done. Once that happens, everyone will know about it. It's tough to keep it a secret & there is no need to. It will leak either way.

If he does leave without a deal, I think Allen will be signed by another team. Not necessarily the Bucs either.

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Your making my point.

Ahhhh, the drama.
    Isn't it fun.

;D

Dispelling what theory.
    Gimme a break.

It doesn't become you.

Think positive.

;D

I'm not being negative, I'm just throwing the scenarios out there. Allen may be gone, but his agent is still there & I don't expect him to leave until a deal is done. Once that happens, everyone will know about it. It's tough to keep it a secret & there is no need to. It will leak either way.

If he does leave without a deal, I think Allen will be signed by another team. Not necessarily the Bucs either.
    LOL, I hear ya my friend. As I said in another thread, I believe that the deal is pretty much done.
    The only sticking point here is the fact that KC can/will sit and wait on this right up until the last minute.

As I've said (I don't know how many times) from the onset of this endevour.
    This deal is being controlled by the KC GM (not thier HC
    ;D) who want to get the best compensation package for his player.

We might just have to sit and wait for a few days for that to happen.
    I feel confident that no team (other than Dallas or Falcons) can offer/would offer something better than we can.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=singersp link=topic=44208.msg763392#msg763392 date=1208697574]

Your making my point.

Ahhhh, the drama.
    Isn't it fun.
    ;D

Dispelling what theory.
    Gimme a break.

It doesn't become you.

Think positive.
    ;D

LOL, I hear ya my friend. As I said in another thread, I believe that the deal is pretty much done.
    The only sticking point here is the fact that KC can/will sit and wait on this right up until the last minute.

As I've said (I don't know how many times) from the onset of this endevour.
    This deal is being controlled by the KC GM (not thier HC
    ;D) who want to get the best compensation package for his player.

We might just have to sit and wait for a few days for that to happen.
    I feel confident that no team (other than Dallas or Falcons) can offer/would offer something better than we can.
    [/quote]

I better clarify one thing. By stating "If he does leave without a deal" I'm referring to Allen's agent & not Allen. He has already left.