Prophet Guest

Chiefs | Edwards lashes back at critics

KFFL
    Chiefs | Edwards lashes back at critics
    Wed, 13 Sep 2006 08:07:04 -0700

Elizabeth Merrill, of the Kansas City Star, reports Kansas City Chiefs head coach Herman Edwards lashed back at reporters during his press conference Tuesday, Sept. 12, who feel that Edwards' conservative style is holding the team's offense back. "Conservative? I was conservative in this game? If the people went to watch the Kansas City Chiefs play, that's the same offense they've watched for the last five years — shifts, motions. …," Edwards said. "Maybe I should change, because if we're only going to score 10 points and we'll get the quarterback killed, then maybe I should change the offense. But that's the same offense these fans have been watching for the last five years, and it wasn't clicking on all cylinders."

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Chiefs | Edwards lashes back at critics

You tell 'em, Herm!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Shocking....
    Herm having a meltdown when the media turns up the heat...
    Never would have guessed that in a million years!
    He has always been so composed in the past!
    ;D

I am really not sure how he keeps his job as a head football coach.
    Has he ever done anything as a head coach other then embarrass himself, his family, and his organization?
    I'd much rather see the Packers miss the playoffs because of their talent then because of their injuries.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

good for him =P tell those reporters who's boss

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

at least he isnt letting them push him around..

now the TUNA, there's a guy that handles the media well.. he doesnt take any crap from anybody. if the TUNA wasnt the coach in Dallas, the TO issue would be much bigger. he just wouldnt let it become an issue. living in the dallas area, they showed the press conferences of him, and he wont even let it become an issue. maybe herm should watch him, and take notes on how to press conference
    i m better than you, so just give up...

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

i saw this interview on the nfl network. he has always been a guy thats gets fired up. thats why he is a good coach. just like dick, very emotional.
    We're bringing purple back.

Prophet Guest

POSTED 9:24 a.m. EDT, September 14, 2006

HONEYMOON IS OVER FOR HERM
    pft.com

A league source tells us that the reputation of Chiefs coach Herman Edwards is taking some hits in response to his recent comments that, in the opinion of some league insiders, constitute an implicit slap at former K.C. coach Dick Vermeil.

Deflecting the suggestion that he's too conservative, Edwards on Tuesday placed blame for the team's low scoring output in the season opening loss to Cincinnati on the offense that was in place prior to his arrival.

"If the people went to watch the Kansas City Chiefs play, that's the same offense they've watched for the last five years — shifts, motions," Edwards said.
    "Maybe I should change, because if we're only going to score 10 points and we'll get the quarterback killed, then maybe I should change the offense."

Edwards' comments remind us of the fatherly advice offered up by Homer Simpson after he'd possibly consumed the venom of a poison blowfish.
    According to Homer, three simple statements are all you need to get by at work:
    (1) "Cover for me"; (2) "Good idea, boss!"; and (3) "It was like that when I got here."

So it's not the fault of Edwards or his coaching staff in teaching the offense or of the players assembled by King Carl Peterson in executing it.
    The problem, Edwards suggests, is the offense itself.

It was like that when I got here.

Hey, if the Chiefs really wanted continuity on offense, they should have given the job to offensive coordinator Al Saunders.
    Then again, King Carl
    was quick to point out on Tuesday that Saunders didn't fare much better in Week One:
    "[Edwards] hasn't [changed the offense]," Peterson said.
    "We're running our offense, the Kansas City Chiefs offense that has been run the last five years, OK?
    The Kansas City offense didn't score many points in Washington, D.C. [on Monday night] either, did it?"

The point here is that the offense that was put in place by Dick Vermeil and Al Saunders is an effective attack, if the team has compiled the right players to run it, the right coaches to teach it, and the right offensive coordinator to pick the plays that will be used against a given defense -- and to call the right plays at the right time (e.g., something other than a run into the middle of the line on third-and-five from the opponents' 11).

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

[size=10pt]I am so happy we did not get him...I saw enough of Herm and his BS in NY.[/size]
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...