singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Chicago Bears: Embarrassment of Riches

[size=18px]Embarrassment of Riches [/size]

By: Scout.com

Date: Jul 8, 2006

The Bears have a load of talent on defense and the unit is once again expected to be among the best in the league. While everyone is back for one more season, not all the players are necessarily happy.

Pro Bowl weak-side linebacker Lance Briggs was demoted to second team during the early-June mini-camp because he dropped out of the Bears' "voluntary" off-season program hoping to create some impetus for a new contract a year before he hits unrestricted free agency. But he will not be playing behind Leon Joe once training camp gets under way.
    Pro Bowl cornerback Nathan Vasher also skipped some OTAs, complaining that the $900,000 he will make over the next two years was unfair in relation to the $9 million that nickel cornerback Ricky Manning Jr. will make over the same period. By almost all accounts, the Bears overpaid for Manning (up to $21 million over five years), but they were determined to upgrade the secondary after the Panthers' Steve Smith abused them in a divisional-round playoff loss last season. With Vasher, Charles Tillman and Manning, the corner position should be a plus this season.

The defense also got a boost in the draft, with the Bears' first selection going for defensive back Danieal Manning. The second-round pick from Abilene Christian could take a job from free safety Chris Harris, who started 13 games as a rookie in 2005 but may have been force fed into the lineup. The Bears' second second-round pick was used on Miami's Devin Hester, who is listed as a cornerback but is raw at that spot. Hester will, however, upgrade the return game immediately with his big-play ability.

Another draft choice, third-rounder Dusty Dvoracek, could play a significant role at defensive tackle because Tank Johnson, who was a key backup in a four-man rotation last season, will not be healthy at the start of training camp because of a quad tear he suffered in February.

Punter Brad Maynard had a disappointing season in '05, and undrafted free agent Joel Stelly has been brought in to provide competition.

The defense carried the Bears into the playoffs in 2005, but let the team down in the playoffs. The unit is deeper than it was a year ago and will be the reason for the franchise making consecutive playoff appearances for the first time in more than a decade. With contracts expiring or becoming an issue, the only question is whether the reserves will have to be called upon to become starters a year from now.

Embarrassment of Riches

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

boognish is offline Coordinator

Re: Chicago Bears: Embarrassment of Riches

Unfortunately, for them, they're just an embarrassment on offense :wink: .
    I am a dipshit!!!

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Good! I want to see as much turmoil as possible over there.

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

I wonder how they'll hold up against our WCO? Correct me if I'm wrong but i thought I hear somewhere that that is what Carolina uses?? A friend said that and he's dumb, so maybe not... However, we beat them near the end of the season (sure they were already in the playoffs...) and we can do it again.

GO Vikes!
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I know having a strong defense will get you places, but with a offense like that, there is only so much your defense can do for you on a regular basis. Their offense is offensive, they hardly ever put up good numbers, and if their defense is on the field most of the time, then they will tire easily.. I don't see them making the playoffs in back to back seasons. JMO

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Braddock" wrote:
    I wonder how they'll hold up against our WCO? Correct me if I'm wrong but i thought I hear somewhere that that is what Carolina uses?? A friend said that and he's dumb, so maybe not... However, we beat them near the end of the season (sure they were already in the playoffs...) and we can do it again.

GO Vikes!
    I don't think we really got a fair assessment of how well we matched up with the Bears last year. The first game was post-love boat, and we played like crap. Do you remember the field position we gave up in that game? It was horrible! Our defense was backed up to our own goal line a bunch of times.

In the second game we were playing mostly against their second stringers.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    I know having a strong defense will get you places, but with a offense like that, there is only so much your defense can do for you on a regular basis. Their offense is offensive, they hardly ever put up good numbers, and if their defense is on the field most of the time, then they will tire easily.. I don't see them making the playoffs in back to back seasons. JMO
    Well they took the division with Orton at the helm most of the way. :wink:

This year Grossman is healthy again. But for how long?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    "Braddock" wrote:

GO Vikes!
    I don't think we really got a fair assessment of how well we matched up with the Bears last year. The first game was post-love boat, and we played like crap. Do you remember the field position we gave up in that game? It was horrible! Our defense was backed up to our own goal line a bunch of times.

In the second game we were playing mostly against their second stringers.
    good point. we never really got a good game against them did we, next year we'll get two good ones, they could go either way.. maybe this year's excellent games won't be last minute wins against the packers, but against DAAAAA BEARS!
    i m better than you, so just give up...