Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Chargers might let Brees test free agency

[size=18px]Report: Chargers might let Brees test free agency[/size]

Chris Mortensen reports the San Diego Chargers are wrestling with the idea of making Drew Brees an unrestrictive free agent perhaps gambling his shoulder surgery would have a chilling effect on interested teams.

Recently the Chargers made an initial contract offer to Brees. Should the Chargers elect to franchise Brees his 2006 salary as a franchise or transition player would be approximately $9.7 million.

Last year Brees threw for 3,576 yards and 24 touchdown passes. Over the past two seasons his passer rating of 96.1 ranks fifth in the NFL.

Drew Brews

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

Re: Chargers might let Brees test free agency

well i hope he tests over this way ive always been afan of him and id love to have him.
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

jordy is offline Rookie

i don't think were going to need brees if c-pep returns...so i'll think he'l be al little to expensive for a backup....or does BJ cost even more than brees would? if it's like that, trade B.j and sign brees

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    Chris Mortensen reports the San Diego Chargers are wrestling with the idea of making Drew Brees an unrestrictive free agent perhaps gambling his shoulder surgery would have a chilling effect on interested teams.

Recently the Chargers made an initial contract offer to Brees. Should the Chargers elect to franchise Brees his 2006 salary as a franchise or transition player would be approximately $9.7 million.

Last year Brees threw for 3,576 yards and 24 touchdown passes. Over the past two seasons his passer rating of 96.1 ranks fifth in the NFL.
    Drew Brews
    WOW the Chargers are sure nice. :roll:

They are hoping they might only have to pay him 4 mil instead of the 9.7 mil, what a bunch of turds. They want their cake and eat it too. I hope they do do that and someone like the Jets or Bills pick him up. If I was Al Davis, I think I would do it just to weaken the Chargers and make the untested Rivers get out on the field and throw.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"mr.woo" wrote:
    well i hope he tests over this way ive always been afan of him and id love to have him.
    If you pick him up, you are taking a huge risk.

If I am not mistaken, he had the same surgery that Pennington had and Pennington didn't fair to well. Chad P's problem might have been trying to come back too soon, kind of like Birk's injury, he didn't give it the proper time to fully heal. But anyway, Chad is not looking too good and neither is Drew at this point.

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Chargers | Team makes contract offer to Brees
    Fri, 10 Feb 2006 05:29:38 -0800

Kevin Acee, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports the San Diego Chargers have made their initial offer for a long-term contract to QB Drew Brees' agent, Tom Condon, Chargers general manager A.J. Smith confirmed. The team has yet to hear back from Tom Condon regarding the proposal, which was sent Monday, Feb. 6. While no hard deadline is imminent, the Chargers and Brees likely have just a week's window remaining to reach a deal before the franchise and transition free agent naming period is over. It is almost certain that if no deal is reached in the interim, the Chargers will designate Brees a franchise or transition player so they do not risk losing him without compensation or a chance to match a competing offer.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Why does it seem like every FA to be, we want to pick him up? We don't need everyone that wearsa jersey. Pep will be back full by atleast Oct. We have BJ, and with pep coming back I think we are set at QB..

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    Why does it seem like every FA to be, we want to pick him up? We don't need everyone that wearsa jersey. Pep will be back full by atleast Oct. We have BJ, and with pep coming back I think we are set at QB..
    We don't WANT every FA...but we should at least CONSIDER every FA before we dismiss the idea. The BEST teams look at ALL the options...then make the most informed choices. Blowing off certain players can have dire consequences...imagine if we hadn't given Cris Carter a chance back when he was having problems...we would have missed out on one of the greatest WRs in history...a CERTAIN HOF'er!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

brees would be nice if he didnt rip the crap out of his shoulder. he would be a gamble.
    We're bringing purple back.

mattjenny3 is offline Starter

imagine if we hadn't given Cris Carter a chance back when he was having problems...we would have missed out on one of the greatest WRs in history...a CERTAIN HOF'er!!!

Sounds alot like the K-Rob situation we have now. Forget signing Brees, keep K-rob and his buddy Bwill.
    REDHORSE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast