Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Changes possible in playoff seeding

I am always resistant to change. I hate it and won't support it.
    If they do it I'm gonna quite watching games.
    :

Even though I am kidding a bit, I wonder if the owners feel the same way as I jokingly do?

Steelers owner Dan Rooney said he's against the idea and that the league should find better ways to make the games more meaningful.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

The only possible drawback to this, albeit minor, would be that one power division could possibly control homefield rights to the playoffs and create an imbalance in gametime host revenues. But I personally would welcome this change.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

I like it. And I have even mentioned it before.

If a wildcard team has a better record than a division winner, I think the wildcard team should get a home game and make the team with the less record go on the road.

But if two teams are tied, the division winner gets the tiebreaker.

Look at the Bucs, they slept through the last 3 games of the season. I lost complete respect for Gruden as a result.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

love it
    and you gotta lve goodell
    the only thing i dont like that hes done is the celebration ban

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Another side/way of looking at that might be what about the Black N Blue division, where they beat the crap out of each other, usually splitting in division games while dominating other outside teams...?
    For example:
    It could also happen that the division winner Giants at 10-6 (The NFC east has boasted 3 playoff teams the past 2 years) are better (more deserving of homefield?) than the Wildcard who got to an 11-5 record by having the benefit of having 2 weaker teams in their division...I mean, I guess its a crapshoot as to how the season falls together...

As far as making the end of the season more meaningful, its a nice thought, but it still doesn't effect the possibility of a team having enough more wins than the next guy to have already locked themselves in...

Case in point, 2007 Patriots.
    By 14-0 they already had their division totally wrapped up, and were only 1? game away from locking home field throughout.
    How would this change, change that? ???
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

The Bucs were in a terrible division but finished with a worse record than the Giants who were in a division that saw 3 playoff teams.

The Steelers were in a terrible division but finished with a worse record than the Jaguars who were in a division with 3 playoff teams.

So two wildcard teams (Giants, Jaguars) who were in tough divisions had better records than two teams (Steelers, Bucs) who were in crappy divisions. This would seem to void any "this rule change would hurt teams in good divisions" arguement.

And the idea is to try to minimize the possibility of teams coasting- you can never eliminate it though.

"There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Steelers owner Dan Rooney said he's against the idea and that the league should find better ways to make the games more meaningful.
    So why not just remove the playoff bye completely?
    Have 8 teams in the playoffs by conference, with the games and home teams seeded by record, #1 at home against #8, #2 at home against #7, etc.
    The highest seeded winners would continue at home against the lowest remaining seed.

More fans, and cities, would be involved in the playoffs.
    Technically then, half of all teams would be eliminated by the end of the regular season.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

I think as long as something is left as a reward for a division winner, the change is good.

Division winners being guaranteed a playoff spot seems adequate to me.... if you want home field advantage, you have to win more.... sounds good!

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Case in point, 2007 Patriots.
    By 14-0 they already had their division totally wrapped up, and were only 1? game away from locking home field throughout.
    How would this change, change that? ???
    I don't think there is a whole lot you can do for that type of a situation; but it RARELY happens that way.
    This is aimed more at the 9-7 division champs, etc. (IMO)

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12