singersp is offline PPO Newshound

CFL's Commish plans policy to honor NFL suspensions

[size=18px]Commish Wright on[/size]

CFL's top dog plans policy to honour NFL suspensions

By Paul Friesen

WINNIPEG -- The CFL should not be a haven for drug-using NFLers.

And beginning next season, it won't be.

That was the word from CFL commissioner Tom Wright yesterday.

In town for a Grey Cup golf tournament, Wright revealed plans to close the loophole that allows CFL teams to sign suspended NFL drug offenders like Ricky Williams and Onterrio Smith.

The problem is the issue isn't addressed in the current agreement between the two leagues.

"We've got a soft spot or a deficiency in the policy we need to address," Wright said. "Right now we do not have language in our current co-operative arrangement with the NFL that prevents what has happened, not only with Onterrio Smith here, but Ricky Williams in Toronto, and many players in the CFL over the last several years."

Preliminary talks

Wright says he's already spoken with NFL officials about amending the agreement to ensure the two leagues will honour each other's suspensions. The CFL-NFL deal expires at the end of this season.

We first brought up the issue early this month, when the Blue Bombers were making noises about signing Smith, the former Minnesota Vikings running back who's serving a one-year NFL suspension for repeated drug violations.

At the time, nobody else seemed to care.

All that changed when the Toronto Argonauts signed Williams, the suspended Miami Dolphin. One of the better running backs in the NFL, when he plays - he led the loop with more than 1,800 yards on the ground in 2002 - Williams has brought the issue to the forefront.

Because he's so good, rival GMs are a little worried.

Compounding their concern is the fact Williams was still under contract to the Dolphins, who had to give their permission for the Argos to sign him.

Montreal's Jim Popp was the first to publicly question why the CFL wasn't honouring an NFL contract.

Winnipeg's Brendan Taman and Saskatchewan president Jim Hopson have also wondered aloud about the issue, which, let's face it, could set a dangerous precedent. For instance, what's to stop the NFL from swooping in on Bombers linebacker Kyries Hebert, who's currently suspended by Winnipeg for not showing up at training camp?

No drug policy

There's another issue at play here - the image of the CFL, a league without a drug policy of its own.

If NFL drug dropouts keep coming north to play, what kind of message does that send to the youth you're trying to attract as fans?

You can debate the morals of smoking marijuana until the cows come home, but what about players suspended for cocaine use?

A new, beefed up CFL-NFL agreement will eliminate the need for teams to make moral judgments on a player-by-player basis. It'll be black-and-white: you're not welcome in the CFL until you've served your NFL suspension.

"The governors I've spoken to share my perspective," Wright said. "You want to make sure you've got the right rules in place so you don't have to try to be objective in determining whether you've got the right character, as opposed to this person."

Wright's confident this will pass. Of course, he was confident about the new salary cap, too, and that's still tied up in procedural wrangling.

Commish Wright on

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: CFL's Commish plans policy to honor NFL suspensions

That's a good idea, because it gives NFL players more of reason to stay clean. They screw up in the NFL, no other league gets them.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"westvirginiavikings" wrote:
    That's a good idea, because it gives NFL players more of reason to stay clean. They screw up in the NFL, no other league gets them.
    It's as simple as that WVV,

To me, the CFL made a bit of a laughing stock of themselves by signing OS and RW......

I can just picture instead of gatoraid bottles on the sideline benches, they'll have ice filled bongs for their players in the CFL.... :shock:

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingNed" wrote:
    "westvirginiavikings" wrote:
    It's as simple as that WVV,

To me, the CFL made a bit of a laughing stock of themselves by signing OS and RW......

I can just picture instead of gatoraid bottles on the sideline benches, they'll have ice filled bongs for their players in the CFL.... shock
    If us regualar people get busted for drugs in this country, we don't get to go to another country. We usually go to jail.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

That's a big move by the CFL, but I think it's a very good one.

Prophet Guest

Finally got you on a thread Singer!

Please click anywhere on me that you so desire…

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Prophet" wrote:
    Finally got you on a thread Singer!

Please click anywhere on me that you so desire…
    You are correct Prophet! :wink:

I clicked on her, but I didn't get the movie I was expecting.

Can you PM me the link to the real one? :grin:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"