Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Was it a Catch?

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Was it a Catch?

If you watched the Bears-Lions game today, or watched any sports show at all, you know what I'm talking about. With about 20 seconds left, Shaun Hill throws a beautiful pass to Calvin Johnson in the endzone to take the lead and win the game. Unfortunately for the world, it was ruled incomplete because Calvin didn't maintain possession throughout the whole "process". People say this is a bad call, but I disagree. Its a bad rule. Don't blame the people enforcing the system, blame the system.

As soon as video comes up on NFL.com I'll post video, but you should see plenty of highlights of the catch and lots and lots and lots of discussion.

Bears Forum Discussion

Lions Forum Discussion

Two Forums discussing the catch.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Re: Was it a Catch?

"process" is a judgement call. that gives them some leeway to make the "right" call. it was a touchdown.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

I just watched it a few more times, and from what I saw, he made the catch, had possession, came down on his two feet then fell on his butt, his left hand went out of bounds. Thats when the play should be over. So I'll gladly change my stance to "It was a bad call".
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Looked like a catch, but I'm not an expert on that rule.

What I do know is that the Bears got extremely lucky. Johnson/refs, gifted them with a win. The bears should be very worried about there season if they can't beat the lions at home with out there starting QB.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach

That wasn't a catch because the NFL and it's rules are a fraud. That was the worst ruling since the Brady tuck play.

A runner can break the plain for a split second, drop the ball, and it's a TD. How come no "process" is required for that?

A receiver gets 3 feet down, 2 knees, an ass, a thigh, an ankle, a hand, maintains control for the duration, is down by contact, and it's incomplete? How is this any different from when a guy flips or spikes the ball immediately after scoring? He dropped the ball after trying to get up, play was over.

I've seen a thousand TD's that shouldn't be TD's if they were held to the same standard as this call. I could give a shit about the Lions, but man this kind of BS just makes me think the league really doesn't have a clue.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

I am so close to not even wanting to watch football anymore. The refs just have too much power to control games. I understand what the rule is, but its complete and utter bullshit.

I've never believed football is fixed, and I still don't, but I don't like how much power the refs have in controlling the outcome of games.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

It obviously was a TD. It is a TD when a player dives into the endzone and doesn't hold onto the ball. The Bears are who we thought they were. Lions got robbed.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

No it wasn't

Wasn't ruled initially, wasn't ruled afterwards

Had he just picked up the ball instead of gotten excited (don't blame him) he would have gotten it

The rules are the rules

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

V4L wrote:
    No it wasn't

Had he just picked up the ball instead of gotten excited (don't blame him) he would have gotten it

The rules are the rules
    The rules are flawed. Ever see a guy dive in the endzone and lose the ball? That is a TD.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

marstc09 wrote:
    V4L wrote:
    No it wasn't

The rules are the rules
    The rules are flawed. Ever see a guy dive in the endzone and lose the ball? That is a TD.

I guess I see what you are saying

But they are running INTO it.. and have control all the way already

He was going to the ground.. And had to control it after it touched the ground. He didn't

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast