Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Cards daring Denny to quit?

POSTED 3:01 p.m. EDT, October 24, 2006

CARDS DARING DENNY TO QUIT?

Arizona Cardinals V.P. and general counsel Mike Bidwill says that the team's 1-6 start is "unacceptable," but that head coach Dennis Green won't be fired.

Our interpretation of Bidwill's uncharacteristically public comments?
    The notoriously skin-flinted ownership family is putting Green firmly on notice that they're not going to fall for the banana in the tailpipe routine that Green and then-agent Ray Anderson finagled in Minnesota several years back, when Green (as we believe) decided that he wanted out and managed to get himself both fired and paid.

The key is the severance package.
    Coaches who are fired get it.
    Coaches who quit don't.
    Some of the multi-multi-millionaires who own teams don't have the desire to get into a pissing match with a coach over whose decision it was, and will give the guy his severance even when the move technically could be called a resignation (e.g., former Browns coach Butch Davis in 2004).

But for the Bidwills a penny saved feels like 20 earned, and we think that the message to Green is this:
    quit if you want, but we ain't paying you to do it.

Need proof that the Bidwills will do what they can to conserve coin, even if it means screwing up concepts like team chemistry?
    Former offensive coordinator was relieved of his duties last week but not fired.
    Why?
    In the hopes that he'd quit -- and be owed nothing.
    (Rowen has since filed a grievance seeking a ruling that he has indeed been fired, so that he can walk away and get paid.)

Meanwhile, look for Bidwill to increase the heat on Green and V.P. of football operations Rod Graves.
    Indeed, he's already taking them to task -- and talking publicly about it.
    "What I asked them, frankly, was, 'How in the hell did we get to 1-6?'
    Close losses don't count.
    We're 1-6, and we shouldn't be.
    I wanted to know what we were doing to correct it."

Make no mistake about it.
    The Bidwills are trying to get Green to throw up his hands, punch a microphone or two, and walk away.

They may not know much about building a winning football program, but when it comes to keeping money in their pockets, the Bidwills are among the best in the league.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

MetalMike-LoudVike is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Cards daring Denny to quit?

say we get a P.P.O. pool going Denny wont last to the playoffs, if he does fired during the wildcard round just a guy think out loud anyone any thoughts??
    IN THE PITS ON THE RIVER BEDS EVRY VIKING FAN WILL RISE & VAHALLA SHALL REJOICE WITH THE MOST GLORIOUS PRIZE LOMBARDI'S TROPHY

Del Rio Guest

That doesn't make sense. The offensive cordinator was relieved meaning someone took over his job but he is still there.......still getting paid.

So he can quit and not get paid (which maybe they hope) or he can get paid good money to sit on his ass.

If it was me I would be like, you want to pay me the same to do nothing, SWEET deposit my checks here bitches.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

This is great news and hope it rumbles on during the season til at least Thanksgiving. Then I can see the Vikes takes down DG and the Cards in a blowout game plus see DG going ape on the sideline - wonderful! ;D
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Acumen" wrote:
    They may not know much about building a winning football program, but when it comes to keeping money in their pockets, the Bidwills are among the best in the league.
    Denny Green - next coach of the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!