Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Campbell Ready As A Dolphin

Campbell Ready as a Dolphin

Date: May 26, 2006

Former Vikings wide receiver Kelly Campbell is back in the league with the Miami Dolphins after being released from the Vikings last September and having a run-in with the law. He talked about his time away, his second chance and being reunited with Daunte Culpepper and Keith Newman.

After compiling 1,062 yards receiving in three seasons with the Minnesota Vikings, a quadriceps injury and the signing of Koren Robinson last September forced the Vikings to release wide receiver Kelly Campbell.

The popular locker room teammate also returned 40 kickoffs, including 35 in 2004, for a 21.5-yard average.

Campbell, a player who found himself in and out of Mike Tice's doghouse because of his over-the-top personality, was arrested in February 2005 in Atlanta and charged with possession of a stolen handgun and marijuana possession.

According to police records, Campbell passed three cars by going into an oncoming traffic lane and was pulled over by police. The officer claimed a strong smell of marijuana came out of Campbell's 2003 Denali when he lowered the window. A search discovered a handgun that had been reported stolen and 16 grams of marijuana.

Campbell is trying to put that incident and his year out of the NFL in the rear-view mirror and move on with a fresh start in Miami, where he and good friend Daunte Culpepper will try to improve the Dolphins offense.

Campbell talked about his second chance and his days with the Vikings on Thursday in Miami.

On sitting out last season: “It was really tough having to sit out and watching the other guys play on Sunday being a guy that I loved playing football and have the heart for the game. It was real tough having to go through what I went through and now I'm back in the game that I love and am ready to go play.”

On being reunited with Daunte: “When I first heard Daunte was coming down here I got real excited because me and Daunte did a lot of good things up in Minnesota, and for me to come down here and bring him down here it’s just another opportunity for me to showcase my talents with the Miami Dolphins. I think Daunte’s going to do real good for this team. He fits the system, he’s a guy who can throw the ball deep, throw it consistently, have good accuracy. I think he'll do well. He did good in Minnesota. I think it's just a new path for Daunte and myself.”

On being shocked by Minnesota’s downfall last season: “I was kind of shocked because I felt the Vikings had a very good program, a very talented group (and) for whatever reason things didn't get put together. I wasn't there the whole season to see everything play itself out. I thought they had a very good opportunity to win a lot of games, but apparently things turned around for the program and they didn't end up the way they should.”

On his goals: “My goal is to become the best player I could be. This is a new start for me. Coach (Nick) Saban is a great coach who gave me an opportunity to come down here; outside the off-the-field issues he gave me another opportunity to come down here and really make the team and try to help the team to win ballgames. So my goal is to come down here be the best player I could be, learn from the veterans like Chris Chambers, some of the best people out there, and play well to help the team win ballgames.”

On getting a second chance: “That's what I’ve been told about Coach Saban. He could deal with guys who have had off-the-field issues — not that I really have off-the-field issues — but he’s not one of those coaches that looks at that and harps on that real big. Brings in guys who can play football who can win ballgames for his team. First off, I want to do that for myself. The best thing is having a coach who believes in you, who looks at you in a way as a football player and not a character guy. He makes you want to come in here and not disappoint him, you want to do all you can for him because he gave you the opportunity outside of the other teams who didn't give you the opportunity. You want to come in here and make him happy and that's what I'm going to try to do.”

On whether he thinks Culpepper is on a mission: “I really do. He’s having a great offseason doing his rehab. I think a lot of people are waiting and seeing what kind of quarterback he’s going to be coming from that injury. Is he still going to be able to do the things he used to do? I think he is. He's a big guy who’s been here before. He's ready to get back on the field and showcase and show everybody he’s back.”

On whether he thinks Culpepper can get back to his 2004 form: “I think he's right on target. He's right on target. I think he'll be ready once the season starts. He's been rehabbing every day, getting back into the motion of things. I think he's right on target for being there for the beginning of the season.”

On what sets Culpepper apart: “It’s amazing to have a quarterback like Daunte. He is a big guy. There’s not a lot of guys who can run real good with that much weight on him. But his arm strength is amazing. He does a very good job of throwing the deep ball and as a receiver you can’t ask for anything better than that. I love playing with Daunte. I had a great time in Minnesota; now we’re just going to bring those times down here.”

On whether Keith Newman has something left: “Yeah, Keith Newman I think he does (have something left). He's a very good linebacker, loves to hit. … I believe once you come to a new team you try to outdo everything you did with the last team, so I think everybody’s going to do well.”

On whether he’ll be returning kicks: “I'm looking forward to doing that. That's something I love to do. I love special teams. I love kick returns. That's one of my specialties. Hopefully, I will get the opportunity to be there and show the coaches I can do it, and hopefully I can get the job.”

On whether he’s looking at winning the No. 3 receiver job or simply making the team: “My goal is not definitely making the roster. That's the first thing you must have to do, but I think I've been in the league long enough and been experienced on the field long enough to show everybody I am capable of being the third receiver that I can help out and that I'm a great player. I feel like I'm a great player, so, no, I’m definitely above making the roster. I've been past that a long time ago. Whatever they want to put me on the field to help the team, that's what I'm going to do.”

On whether he feels he’s more valuable as a receiver or returner: “Both, but I would rather be a receiver than a return man, because that's what I do best. I could catch, run past defenders, a deep threat, so I’d

IMO, he will only be a mediocre player for the rest of his career. He is a good return man, but at best he is a career 3rd WR

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Campbell Ready As A Dolphin

All that weed smokin' only stunted his growth when he was younger...and fried his brain as well... :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

He sucked anyway. I don't care who him and his cousin play for. Its time for a new era in Minny and drugies are not going to be tolerated.

Top_Speed is offline Starter

I liked the guy. His "gibber jabber" was funny and gave the team some energy.

OK, so I stole the jibber line from Boston Legal's old fart grumpy judge

"Denny Crane... Denny Crane..." as he turns to the newly met hottie "Marry Me!"

Denny Crane you crack'n me up, Kelly Campbell you shouldn't of been crack'n up.
    Home Sweet Dome...

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

“When I first heard Daunte was coming down here I got real excited because me and Daunte did a lot of good things up in Minnesota,
    Ya, like smoking weed and boat partying!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Glad he is on their team and not the Vikes! Shouldn't he be in jail?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

"whackthepack" wrote:
    Glad he is on their team and not the Vikes! Shouldn't he be in jail?
    Knock it off.....
    I ll be dead and cold before I m green and gold

Thanks to PPE for sig

"michaelmazid" wrote:
    He sucked anyway. I don't care who him and his cousin play for. Its time for a new era in Minny and drugies are not going to be tolerated.
    And if you think that some players on the CURRENT roster aren't doing drugs, be it weed or whatever, you're living in a FANTASY world........

Am I saying it's ok...NO !!!!!

But it's reality......

Thanks to PPE for sig

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

he's too short to be a real threat as a reciever, he's only 5'10", 173 lbs, so he will never be a real good reciever. I like him as a kick return man tho. he's fast and has some moves. i was kinda pissed when the vikes cut him over howry, but fortunately krob turned out allright.

wish him the best in miami (just not when we play them).

Just because we as individuals may OR may not condone drugs, they ARE a part of the society we live in...

Personally, I don't do drugs nor do I ever care to try.

That being said, I am NOT naive enough to believe players don't do them.....

Not just the Vikings, every team in every sport will and continue to have this problem.....

In Robert Smith's book, he wrote about how he smoked weed with Viking teammates....

Thanks to PPE for sig

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast