Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Best case scenario is Ponder goes in right away, is successful and becomes an elite QB.

what would likely happen is he'd get killed behind our OL, since he hasn't developed the NFL QB sense of sensing pressure, avoiding hits, etc. Not to mention our OL can't block.

Worst case, he goes out, gets hurt, and we do this all over again next season. Worst case scenario is alot more likely than one might think.
    Your worst case would involve us drafting Kalil, Blackmon, or Luck/Barkley. I'll take that.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Seriously? you just said that? There are multiple cases of QB's playing in the league right now as we speak that started their rookie seasons and are doing just fine. There are also cases of guys that did and are not in the league like Russell who wouldn't be in the league even if they had a TJ like developmental period.

You can play a player right away if you handle them right and don't expect the moon from them and Musgrave apparently has that type of mentality although I haven't seen it in action.

Tell me this:

If he is intelligent and can already understand the plays, formations, defenses etc, can you explain to me just what development he is getting by holding a clipboard that is forming the basis for his future success that wouldn't happen if he is playing?

Like I said before- If he didn't know offense, if he had learning difficulty and needed time to understand the fundamentals of the playbook etc then I would be with you 100% but this is a smart guy and he only needs to get the experience of the live situations and to find out if he has the physical tools to make it and that isn't changing on the sidelines.
    It's not like he is only holding a clipboard. He is working with the coaches every day to get better. Spending time every day watching film, studying defenses, and how to read them and beat them. Practicing making calls at the line of scrimmage ect ect. There is alot he can still learn without starting on Sunday.

Would it hurt him to get reps now before he is fully ready? probably not. But I don't think it would hurt him to continue his development first, it worked for Rodgers, Rivers, Brees, Brady.

Right now the focus of the entire coaching staff and all the players should be on beating the Lions on Sunday. Evaluating players is for preseason and meaningless games after being eliminated from the playoffs.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    Of course Reusse could be wrong, but it would make sense that a new coach under the gun to win would want a veteran to run his offense.
    You might be correct in that I have it backward, but I still go back to what he said at first after drafting the kid.

Maybe it was a smoke screen. Maybe it wasn't.

Something else to "Ponder" is the whole decision process that went with first trying to get Orton and even Thygpen ahead of Dnabb.

All I'm saying is it isn't out of the question for a new coach to come in and start with a new QB, mostly because of the "Honeymoon" effect that comes with the first year and it sure sounded early on that is what Leslie thought was gonna happen.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Best case scenario is Ponder goes in right away, is successful and becomes an elite QB.

what would likely happen is he'd get killed behind our OL, since he hasn't developed the NFL QB sense of sensing pressure, avoiding hits, etc. Not to mention our OL can't block.

Worst case, he goes out, gets hurt, and we do this all over again next season. Worst case scenario is alot more likely than one might think.
    First, I thought he showed pretty good pocket awareness in the preseason. Second, currently we have had 4 hits and 4 sacks on our QB. Its not like he is getting killed out there.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Because as intelligent as Ponder is, he's not ready to play in the NFL. He has the mental ability to learn it and succeed(hopefully), but that still takes time. While Newton can go out there, not ready and do well enough because he has the physical ability to make up for what he might not know.
    Lets not fool ourselves here.

Newton is being successfull cause the coaching staff have significantly lessoned what is expected out of him and defenses haven't figured it out yet.

Not sure why either. Max protect, run fast recievers down the side lines with no real effort to do anything else.

Seriously, has anyone else wondered why that good running game has completely disapeared?

As to Ponders readiness. We will never know if he is ready until he actually steps on the field. Doesn't matter if its today, or 3 years from now.

Again, back to the discussion they had on Sirius, Backup QB's get very little opportunities to get better now that the season has started. Mix in the new change in how many actual practices can be had with pads and hitting, its not hard to comprehend that Ponder (or Webb) for that matter are really only getting good at watching tape at this point in the season.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Lets not fool ourselves here.

Newton is being successfull cause the coaching staff have significantly lessoned what is expected out of him and defenses haven't figured it out yet.
    Interesting to me how low the bar of "success" is. 1 TD, 3 Picks and 2 losses in two starts. If that was McNabb, you'd all be calling for his head.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Interesting to me how low the bar of "success" is. 1 TD, 3 Picks and 2 losses in two starts. If that was McNabb, you'd all be calling for his head.

=Z=
    Excellent point. I guess success was a poor choice of words.

Most are calling what he has been doing as successfull, atleast from my lazy boy, because he is connecting on deep balls and putting up lots of yards.

I don't, which brings me back to my point on the ineffective running game.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Excellent point. I guess success was a poor choice of words.

Most are calling what he has been doing as successfull, atleast from my lazy boy, because he is connecting on deep balls and putting up lots of yards.

I don't, which brings me back to my point on the ineffective running game.
    Last I saw, putting up yards is neither how division champions are determined, nor is it used as a tie-breaker in those races.

0 and 2.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Last I saw, putting up yards is neither how division champions are determined, nor is it used as a tie-breaker in those races.

0 and 2.

=Z=
    Another great point my friend. Some around here won't agree with you. They think the deep ball is along the lines of the home run or something.

"Chicks dig the deep ball" kindof mentality.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Another great point my friend. Some around here won't agree with you. They think the deep ball is along the lines of the home run or something.

"Chicks dig the deep ball" kindof mentality.
    receiving fullbacks win championships.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast