Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bye Bye Mooch

Re: Bye Bye Mooch

Looks like Mooch will not be fired today afterall...

Updated: Nov. 25, 2005, 1:39 PM ET

ESPN.com

Steve Mariucci remains the Detroit Lions' coach.

While Detroit media reported that the team might fire Mariucci the day after a 27-7 home loss to Atlanta on national television, a decision is not likely Friday, ESPN's John Clayton reported.

Team sources told Clayton that the Ford family, which owns the team, is in Florida. Players were in for an hour for routine film review, then were released until Monday.

Mariucci and team president Matt Millen met, but not in an official situation, merely a regular day-after-game meeting.

"Nothing's happening today. Reports of a power confab are unfounded," a team public relations representative said.

The Detroit Free Press and on WJBK-TV in Detroit reported late Thursday that the Lions were in discussions that could lead to the firing of Mariucci as early as Friday. After two and a half disappointing years with Mariucci at the helm, the loss to the Falcons on Thanksgiving may have been the final straw.

"I don't know what's going to happen or anything like that, but nobody's stupid in here," offensive lineman Damien Woody told the Free Press. "People know that, hey, things didn't go right. It was a pretty bad loss on national television. We'll see what happens."

The Lions are 15-28 since 2003 under Mariucci, including a 4-7 record this year, a year that began with high hopes in the organization. Thursday's loss dropped Detroit 3½ games behind NFC North-leading Chicago, and 1½ behind second-place Minnesota.

"I take the responsibility, because I'm the head coach, and I should," Mariucci told the Free Press. "And that's what makes it a little bit frustrating, because where do you start? You identify where we need to be better, and there's a multitude of things."
    Even babies know the difference.

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

I like Mooch. He seems like a good guy and all but this is football, you gotta win.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

was steve the coach before or after they drafted harrington?
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

"happy camper" wrote:
    was steve the coach before or after they drafted harrington?
    Harrington was drafted 3rd overall in the 2002 NFL draft by G.M. Matt Millen and then coach Marty Mornhinweg.
    Even babies know the difference.

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

if he fired that sucks. i always thought Mooch was a pretty good guy and it always sucks to see somebody get fired for something that isn't his fault, he got into a bad situation and was expected to turn it around. With Millen though that is impossible look at their drafts the last couple years, they have drafted 3 first round receivers in the last 3 years and they can't get anything out of them

Thanks Josdin

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Bad thing is, the players can do the old "win this one for the coach" thing and really play well. I would be more afraid of the Lions now than before.
    exactly what the cardinals did to us two years ago damnit

"Vikes" wrote:
    The Lions are a mess like the AZ Cards. I think problem with the Lions is the GM Matt Millen sucks.
    I agree...Millen is the problem...but he just signed a 5 year extension in the off season...that suck...I really like Mooch as a coach....but he hasn'nt really gotten alot out of his...um...talent.

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

well why are u guys so down dont we benefit from there demise?

I'm not down I guess....and I guess the fact that the Lions are screwed up is always good for the Purple..I just thought that Mooch would have a bigger impact on the Lions than he did.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123