Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Bush wants #1-type coinage.

Reggie Bush says he may well be a camp hold out
    Dave Cohen / WWL News Director
    6-29-06

WWL's Kaare Johnson at news conference with Saints top pick Reggie Bush about contract and charity.

New Orleans Saints top draft pick Reggie Bush today spoke about speculation that he will be a hold out from training camp next month as contract negotiations continue.

"This is a business and that's the difference between college and the NFL... In a perfect world you wish you could be in camp on time, everybody would be in camp on time. But, you know, we'll see. We'll see what happens"

Bush says if he does hold out, he thinks fans will understand. "Hopefully I can get in camp on time, but at the same time if I'm not, then I'm pretty much sure that the city will understand. It's just how it goes.... most players don't sign until August."

Training camp starts July 27th.

Bush was the number 2 overall pick in the Draft. ESPN's John Clayton says Bush wants first pick overall money. That's the sticking point. He says Reggie Bush feels he deserves top pick money, while the Saints argue we was not the first pick, he was the second.

Clayton says the team's expected to try to make Bush happy by loading the contract with attainable incentives that could get him close to top pick cash.

Bush was in Slidell today working with General Motors to give a dozen Hummers to area agencies hit hard by Katrina.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Bush wants #1-type coinage.

I always lose some respect for players when they hold out from camp. It just seems like something really stupid and greedy to do. However he is Reggie Bush so he is going to want the big bucks.

fans will NOT understand!!! since when do fans like it when players hold out? he needs to get over not being the top pick, he's not going to get the same money as Mario.
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

It's not like he has to buy a house with that money. :wink: I hate people who waste their time whining over money. He's probalby saying I want 52 million, not 49!

Thank you Josdin for the sig

"Williamson8211" wrote:
    It's not like he has to buy a house with that money. wink I hate people who waste their time whining over money. He's probalby saying I want 52 million, not 49!
    didn't Latrell Sprewell turn down an offer from the T-Wolves because he wanted more money because he "needs to feed his family"?
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

Prophet Guest

"farvathevikinglover" wrote:
    "Williamson8211" wrote:
    It's not like he has to buy a house with that money. wink I hate people who waste their time whining over money. He's probalby saying I want 52 million, not 49!
    didn't Latrell Sprewell turn down an offer from the T-Wolves because he wanted more money because he "needs to feed his family"?
    Yeah, but his family can put down the grub.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

He was picked second...so TOUGH SH!T, Reggie!!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

IMO doesnt bush always want top coinage ?? lol

i don't like when players hold out of camp, but Bush does have a point. he should get top coinage, if you really look at, he is New Orleans' savior!! He comes in and is automatically loved by the fans, gives part of his pay check to the Katrina relief fund!! I would give him the cash, he sure has shown that he can play like he deserves it!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"2beersTommy" wrote:
    IMO doesnt bush always want top coinage ?? lol
    Boom boom!

Bush is the number 2 pick. Therefore, as pertains to the slot system that has developed for rookie contracts, he will get a contract lower in total dollars than the #1 pick, but more than the #3 pick. Do you really think the people of New Orleans would accept Reggie holding out because he demanded an extra $2 or $3 MILLION that he is not eligible for by virtue of where he was drafted? No. And no, he doesn't deserve #1 money because he's giving time to charities. All athletes should do that regardless of whatever sport they are involved in, so that doesn't make him more or less deserving of $50 million. And he hasn't shown he can play like he deserves it, in fact, he hasn't done A THING to prove he can cut it in the NFL; just like every other rookie.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast