Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bush Number 5?

Prophet Guest

Re: Bush Number 5?

REGGIE REALLY IS A SELFISH ASSHOLE
    POSTED 9:23 a.m. EDT; UPDATED 10:40 a.m. EDT, May 18, 2006
    Mike Florio

With apologies to everyone out there who has lined up to nuzzle the crotch of the 2005 Heisman* winner, we've decided after careful consideration that, in our opinion, Reggie Bush is a selfish asshole.

And our decision in this regard was not influenced significantly by the storm of controversy regarding whether and to what extent Bush and his family got paid while Bush was still playing for USC. We believe that this sort of stuff happens, in varying degrees, at most major college football programs, and that if the Bushes are guilty of anything it's of being careless to the point of stoopid.

No, we reached our final opinion regarding Reggie only recently, when we were reminded by a reader that the number he so desperately wants to wear at the pro level, No. 5, is already spoken for on the team that drafted him.

Quarterback Adrian McPherson, drafted by the Saints in 2005 because (as we hear it) he reminded the organization of Vince Young, currently is assigned No. 5. But there has been not a peep from the Bush camp reflecting a scintilla of respect for the fact that someone else holds the rights to the number that Reggie wants.

Hell, there's likewise been no comment from Team Bush regarding the fact that his fallback choice -- No. 25 -- is the property of Fred McAfee.

So if wearing No. 5 or (if that fails) No. 25 is such a big deal for Bush, why doesn't Bush think it might be a big deal for the guys who already wear those numbers?

Folks, whether you like or dislike Reggie Bush, his current mentality falls within the four corners of the textbook definition of selfish.

Per Webster.com, "selfish" means "seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others."

Without regard for others.

So it's a no-brainer. By showing zero regard for the fact that McPherson owns No. 5 and McAfee owns No. 25, Bush is selfish.

Of course, Bush's handlers are smart enough to know that Reggie must pander to the Katrina victims by promising to donate 25 percent of the earnings from the sale of his jersey to ongoing relief efforts. Whoop-de-doo. It's an obvious P.R. move aimed at selling even more jerseys and, in the end, pocketing more money than if he'd kept 100 percent of the proceeds without making the commitment.

The other problem here is that the Saints are aiding and abetting Bush's selfish assholishness. They allowed him to wear No. 5 at the team's recent minicamp, even though the number has been issued to McPherson.

And as to McPherson, we're making an open offer to negotiate on his behalf -- at no charge -- the transaction with Bush for the rights to No. 5, assuming that the NFL changes its rules regarding jersey numbering. If, after all, Bush and his people are pushing the issue in order to enhance Reggie's earning potential, McPherson could end up holding an asset worth much more than a bowl of soup at Mendy's. It's a seven-figure proposition, and hopefully McPherson realizes it.

So how much should McPherson request for No. 5? Just enough to get Bush to accuse him of being selfish.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

He should become #9...because, as all you Schoolhouse Rock fans know, Number 9 will tie you up in a knot! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

You know, if it is a NFL policy with the numbers being issued, then Bush should not be allowed to wear #5.. He can't get special treatment just because he is Reggie Bush the Heisman Trophy winner.. If that were to happen, could you imagine the chaos it would cause in the NFL with past players that may have wanted a different number and were told they couldn't have it?

boognish is offline Coordinator

"cajunvike" wrote:
    He should become #9...because, as all you Schoolhouse Rock fans know, Number 9 will tie you up in a knot! :lol:
    But 3 is the magic number. :wink:
    I am a dipshit!!!

boognish is offline Coordinator

"Benet" wrote:
    Screw that. It's not about the rule being "antiquated", it's about the NFL bending over backwards to accomodate A PLAYER WHO HASN'T PLAYED A SINGLE DOWN IN THE NFL YET.

If the rule had been deemed "antiquated" last year, I would have been fine with it. If it was decided that the referees did not need the positions to be easily recognisable by numbers, then fine.

But I'm against the NFL changing the rules on the whims of one player. Especially because it will only piss off players already in the NFL who wanted to wear their college number in the pros..

Edgerrin James anyone?
    Well said. It's hard to believe that a "rook" is acting like this already; hopefully the veterans in the locker room take this kid down a notch. I'm starting to not like him already.
    I am a dipshit!!!

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

F Reggie Bush. Florio of ProFootballTalk.com hits the nail right on the head: A$$hole. This guy hasn't played one snap in the NFL. He should keep his head down and mouth shut, period. F-ing Rookie.

I have played sports since I was six. Of course I had my favorite numbers to wear too. But I don't understand the mentality of some of these crybabies who can't start anew with a number. Pick a freaking number that is available and you don't hate, then make that number your own. People are gonna buy his jersey because it says, "Bush" on it, not because it has a "5" on it.

Excuse me while I have to call the waaambulance for Reggie...

"boognish" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    Funny...that's what I keep telling the WIFE...but she STILL won't let another woman in the bedroom! :evil4:

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "boognish" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    Funny...that's what I keep telling the WIFE...but she STILL won't let another woman in the bedroom! :evil4:
    JUST KIDDING!!!!

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

I'm so sick of these rookies coming in and acting like their NFL gods already. Okay great, you were king of your college team. That doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot in the NFL. You have to earn respect just like every other player. You take what you are given and not anything more. I really really wish I thought Bush would be one of the top rated players of this draft to fall on his face, unfortunately I don't think he will. He is more then likely going to be a force to be reckoned with, but I wish for once, one of these big name rookies would not expect the world from the team drafting him or the NFL itself. I wish that they would be grateful for the fact that they GET to make millions and play a game professionaly that most people can only dream of.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"triedandtruevikesfan" wrote:
    I'm so sick of these rookies coming in and acting like their NFL gods already. Okay great, you were king of your college team. That doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot in the NFL. You have to earn respect just like every other player. You take what you are given and not anything more. I really really wish I thought Bush would be one of the top rated players of this draft to fall on his face, unfortunately I don't think he will. He is more then likely going to be a force to be reckoned with, but I wish for once, one of these big name rookies would not expect the world from the team drafting him or the NFL itself. I wish that they would be grateful for the fact that they GET to make millions and play a game professionaly that most people can only dream of.
    I understand where you are coming from, but this is such a small problem that it is laughable. All Bush really did was ask if he would wear the number. It seems like more because the NFL has some long unneccesary process for something that really isn't that important at all. Bush has even said he is prepared to wear 25 if the NFL says no. It is not Bush overreacting, it is the NFL. How could it take more than 1 hour to make a decision on this?

If Bush were holding out or making incindiary comments to media about this, then I could understand. Instead Bush has been very agreeable both with the Saints and the NFL. He is not going to just "steal" 5 or 25 from the other players either, he going to pay them, just like ELi and others have done in the past.

This is not selfishness, this is a simple inquiry to the NFL.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast