Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bush Number 5?

jsa803 is offline Rookie

Bush Number 5?

I was reading on how Reggie Bush is petitioning the NFL to let him wear number 5. This is againt the numbering system they have. I feel that Reggie Bush should NOT get to wear that number. It looks tacky and if the NFL lets him wear it then a million other running backs will want to. for example Keyshawn was the only reciever to wear a teen number now, half the NFL is doing it. Plus I still have my doubts about bush and Edgireen James petitioned for the same thing and got shut down, so Reggie should too. Also where does he get the right to come into a league that he hasnt done anything in yet, and say I wanna break one of your rules. He should have to wear a different number. Plus i like seeing players change numbers its cool seeing them sport a new look. I cant wait to see Williamson in 82. And Greenway had no problem going from number 18 to 52 why should reggie get special treatment. Get back at me id love to hear your opinion.
    Losers find excuses, Winners find a way!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Bush Number 5?

Posted on Sun, May. 14, 2006

[size=18px]C'mon, NFL, get off your high horse[/size]

Headline: C'mon, NFL, time to get off your high horse

The New Orleans Saints have petitioned the NFL's Competition Committee to allow rookie running back Reggie Bush to wear No. 5, the familiar digit he sported while winning a Heisman Trophy at Southern California.

The NFL has told the Saints they'll get back to them.

How magnanimous of the suits on Park Avenue.

If there's ever been a sports league that takes itself way too seriously, it's the NFL.

A couple of decades ago, the league decided it would mandate what players could wear what numbers, just to eliminate the confusion for its officials, who sometimes need all the help they can get, anyway. They decided linemen would only wear numbers in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 90s, which they pretty much already did.

And the NFL wanted running backs and defensive backs to be outfitted in jersey numbers in the 20s, 30s and 40s.

That left the jerseys with numbers up to 19, for quarterbacks, punters and kickers.

Nice, neat and conforming.

Yawn.

Bush and the Saints have had to state their case to the NFL, which is mulling over the decision as we speak. I guess.

Adrian McPherson, the Saints' third-team quarterback, wore No. 5 last season. Bush might have to pay McPherson a small fee to acquire the number, but something tells me he'll be able to afford it.

Bush also has pledged to use the inevitable financial gain from wearing No. 5 to good use.

Players get 6 percent of each jersey sold through NFL Properties, and Randy Moss' No. 18 with the Oakland Raiders may have brought the silver-and-black-clad ingrate a sum exceeding $1.5 million last year. Orders for Bush's NFL jersey started rolling in within hours of the Saints making him the second pick in last month's draft.

Bush has said he plans to pledge 25 percent of earnings from the sale of his jerseys to Hurricane Katrina relief. That alone should be enough for the NFL to get off its high horse and just let the man wear No. 5.

Ah, but the NFL likes things pre-packaged, like a FEMA trailer. The team comes first, and the individual comes last.

Mike Ornstein, Bush's marketing agent, cut to the heart of the matter in an interview with USA Today.

"It's such an antiquated rule," Ornstein said. "Why not allow a guy who has built up all this equity in this number to keep it?"

Paul Hornung wore No. 5 with Notre Dame and the Green Bay Packers, whether he was playing quarterback under the Golden Dome or running the power sweep for Vince Lombardi in Green Bay.

Bush electrified crowds in the West Coast with dazzling runs to daylight in No. 5 for Southern Cal, and he'd understandably like to do the same with the Saints.

"Obviously I'd love to be able to wear No. 5, but if I don't, I understand," Bush said. "I know there's been a rule for years before I've gotten here, so it's something that I'd like to happen, but if it doesn't, no worries."

Here's an interesting sidelight.

Wide receivers are dictated to wear numbers in the 80s, under the NFL's rules.

Randy Moss was given permission to sport No. 18 for the Raiders after he was traded by the Minnesota Vikings. Keyshawn Johnson has worn No. 19 with the New York Jets and Dallas Cowboys.

Look what that's done for Moss' marketability. It's not like he set the world on fire last season in Oakland.

C'mon, NFL. Let the kid do his thing with No. 5 splashed across his chest.

It might make a difference in some of those aforementioned FEMA trailers.

Jim Mashek can be reached at 896-2333 or [email protected]

C'mon, NFL, get off your high horse

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Screw that. It's not about the rule being "antiquated", it's about the NFL bending over backwards to accomodate A PLAYER WHO HASN'T PLAYED A SINGLE DOWN IN THE NFL YET.

If the rule had been deemed "antiquated" last year, I would have been fine with it. If it was decided that the referees did not need the positions to be easily recognisable by numbers, then fine.

But I'm against the NFL changing the rules on the whims of one player. Especially because it will only piss off players already in the NFL who wanted to wear their college number in the pros..

Edgerrin James anyone?

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I agree with Benet. A rookie, no matter who he is, does not have the clout to demand a rule exception before training camp even begins. Besides, I like the rule. It makes it easier to pick out who is in what role on the field, especially when I am watching other teams who I may not be as familiar with as the Vikings.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

The NFL's "taking ourselves too seriously" policy has worked out pretty damn well so far. They're an owner/comissioner run league, and that's the way it should be. Once you start giving the player's what they want and letting them rule, then you get the NBA and MLB. There's a reason the No Fun League is so successful, it's because they don't let primadonna athletes run their league!

That left the jerseys with numbers up to 19, for quarterbacks, punters and kickers
    K-Rob was number 18 last year & listed as a WR.

"singersp" wrote:
    That left the jerseys with numbers up to 19, for quarterbacks, punters and kickers
    WR's are allowed now to take numbers 11 thru 19 as well as 80 thru 89 because franchises have retired a lot of former WR's numbers, and they were running out of numbers to give to WR's.

"Benet" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    WR's are allowed now to take numbers 11 thru 19 as well as 80 thru 89 because franchises have retired a lot of former WR's numbers, and they were running out of numbers to give to WR's.

Randy Moss was given permission to sport No. 18 for the Raiders after he was traded by the Minnesota Vikings. Keyshawn Johnson has worn No. 19 with the New York Jets and Dallas Cowboys.
    If that is true, then this write needs to "bone up" on the NFL rules before making a big deal out of Moss changing his number.

"singersp" wrote:
    "Benet" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

If that is true, then this write needs to "bone up" on the NFL rules before making a big deal out of Moss changing his number.
    I remember articles being published last year with comments from Wide Receivers about the availability of numbers in the teens. Roy Williams wears 11 for the Lions, but I can't think of any others at the moment. I remember one quote being something along the lines of number 11 being the most popular number because it was the lowest and it was totally symmetrical and it looked "cool" on the jerseys.

Purple_Possum is offline Waterboy

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    The NFL's "taking ourselves too seriously" policy has worked out pretty gol 'darnit well so far. They're an owner/comissioner run league, and that's the way it should be. Once you start giving the player's what they want and letting them rule, then you get the NBA and MLB. There's a reason the No Fun League is so successful, it's because th[marq=down][marq=up]ey don't let primadonna athletes run their league!
    I agree totally. I love the NBA reference. Reggie needs to grow up and realize that school is over and this is his job in the real world. If I were getting paid millions of dollars to play a kids game I would certainlly comply with all the rules. If he comes out of the gates and gives the Saints 3, 1600 rushing seasons in his first 3 years, I would consider going to bat for him for a number change. He may have been an exciting college running back but so was Ki Jana Carter.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast