Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Burress gets two years at sentencing in gun case

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...ng-in-gun-case

NEW YORK (AP) - Former Super Bowl hero Plaxico Burress tearfully told his family goodbye as he was led away to prison Tuesday after being sentenced to two years on a weapons charge.

With time off for good behavior, Burress likely will serve 20 months. He could be released from prison as early as the spring of 2011 and will be monitored an additional two years after he is freed.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Burress gets two years at sentencing in gun case

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...ng-in-gun-case

NEW YORK (AP) - Former Super Bowl hero Plaxico Burress tearfully told his family goodbye as he was led away to prison Tuesday after being sentenced to two years on a weapons charge.

With time off for good behavior, Burress likely will serve 20 months. He could be released from prison as early as the spring of 2011 and will be monitored an additional two years after he is freed.
    Interesting.
    Thanks for the read.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

I was suprised he got that much time. He will sit out for a full 2 seasons.

Kuukkis is offline Training Camp

I've gotta tell ya, not being a US citizen, I might not understand the culture that well. I have to ask you Americans: is it popular there to bring your gun to a nightclub? If it is, I'm surprised that when an accident like that happens, it creates such a fuss.

The situation being what it is, I do however think that the sentence is too long. Nothing happened, thank god, so I believe it's just one of those "let's show the kids that you being a NFL-receiver doesn't make it ok to shoot guns in night clubs"-kind of thing, setting an example.

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

"Kuukkis" wrote:
    I've gotta tell ya, not being a US citizen, I might not understand the culture that well. I have to ask you Americans: is it popular there to bring your gun to a nightclub? If it is, I'm surprised that when an accident like that happens, it creates such a fuss.

The situation being what it is, I do however think that the sentence is too long. Nothing happened, thank god, so I believe it's just one of those "let's show the kids that you being a NFL-receiver doesn't make it ok to shoot guns in night clubs"-kind of thing, setting an example.
    Shooting the gun wasn't the crime.
    In NYC it's illegal to carry an unliscensed gun and the minimum sentence for the offense is 3 1/2 years... it was a big part of NYC's crack down on violent crime in the late 90s I believe.
    So no, not only is it not popular to carry a gun into a night club, it's illegal.
    Burress got off light cause the DA cut him a plea deal to a lesser charge, we wouldn't have been so lucky.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

Kuukkis is offline Training Camp

Oh yeah, I gotta read the news more carefully. No licence.
    But thanks, I figured it was kind of stupid to bring it there in the first place.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "Kuukkis" wrote:

In NYC it's illegal to carry an unliscensed gun and the minimum sentence for the offense is 3 1/2 years... it was a big part of NYC's crack down on violent crime in the late 90s I believe.
    So no, not only is it not popular to carry a gun into a night club, it's illegal.
    Burress got off light cause the DA cut him a plea deal to a lesser charge, we wouldn't have been so lucky.
    I just want to add, that he didn't get any special treatment.
    He got the same that anyone would have got.
    It is the minimum allowed by the letter of the law in a plea.
    That was the lawyers gripe about this, there was no wiggle room for the circumstances.

I just don't want people to see 3.5 years and then start griping about how he was treated special in this case.
    He broke the law that was written.
    He cooperated with the law.
    He was punished by going to real persons prison.
    This isn't counrty club prison, this is real prison.

The lawyer made a point that if he wasn't famous, the self inflicted gun shot wound wouldn't have been pursued by police.
    That may or may not be true.
    If I remember right, the doctor was going to overlook it.
    It was the media that pursued it and the police then followed right behind.
    Anyone able to verify my story.
    I am just going by what I remember hearing.
    I know the Doc got in trouble.

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "Kuukkis" wrote:

That was the lawyers gripe about this, there was no wiggle room for the circumstances.

I just don't want people to see 3.5 years and then start griping about how he was treated special in this case.

The lawyer made a point that if he wasn't famous, the self inflicted gun shot wound wouldn't have been pursued by police.
    Hospitals are required by law to report violent wounds like gunshots to the police... the Doctor was going to break the law in not reporting it... do you think he'd have been willing to do that for you or I?

As for the 2 years... I'm not sure we'd all have been offered a plea bargain given the circumstances of the case.
    Maybe anyone with money and a good lawyer could... I don't know, but I don't believe it's offered to everyone.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "Kuukkis" wrote:

Hospitals are required by law to report violent wounds like gunshots to the police... the Doctor was going to break the law in not reporting it... do you think he'd have been willing to do that for you or I?

As for the 2 years... I'm not sure we'd all have been offered a plea bargain given the circumstances of the case.
    Maybe anyone with money and a good lawyer could... I don't know, but I don't believe it's offered to everyone.
    I am saying the lawyer said that Plax was pursued because he was recognizable.
    I don't know if he meant that the Doc would have let him go.
    I don't know if he thought the police wouldn't have questioned Average Joe that was let go by the Doc.
    I think he was implying that the Bouncers that knew Plax had the gun on him were partially at fault.
    They should not have let him in the nightclub with the gun.
    His stardom worked against him on many levels here.

It was not a serious wound.
    The doctor probably didn't ask him if it was licensed or not.
    Maybe they offered the Doctor money.
    I don't know what the reasoning behind the Doctor's decision was based on, maybe the Doc was a Giants fan?

The law to me seems like a third world country law.
    If there are no degrees to a case, then we don't need judges and juries.
    Let's just throw people in jail.

I can't say that it was unfair, this is how the law was written.
    It is also the reason they took the plea, there was no better deal.
    That was the best deal he could get.
    He couldn't fight it.

VikesFan787 is offline Coordinator

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast