Prophet Guest

Burress: Coughlin is uptight

KFFL
    Giants | Burress would like to see Coughlin loosen up some
    Tue, 1 Aug 2006 05:41:40 -0700

The New York Daily News reports New York Giants WR Plaxico Burress would like to see head coach Tom Coughlin loosen up some, to crack a smile every now and then. Well, at least maybe once during training camp. Burress believes that would help warm up what has been a frosty relationship between the star wide receiver and the coach. "He is definitely a tough guy," Burress said Monday morning, July 31, after practice at the University at Albany. "As far as me and him, our relationship is getting a little better as far as a working relationship. We really didn't get off to a really good start and hopefully we can see eye to eye and I am pretty sure that we want to accomplish the same things as player and coach." Burress characterized his relationship with Coughlin as a strictly working one. But he said he would like to see it improve. "I would like to have a little more sense of humor and come out and have a little fun and enjoy it," Burress said.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Burress: Coughlin is uptight

We knew he were an uptight jerk. But you must be concerned if you are a giants fan, and the players start airing their concern about the coach.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Prophet Guest

I like the seperation. I would rather have a disciplinarian that is doing their job rather than a 'buddy' coach.

I think it's great to have a disiplinarian coach, that let the players know where he draws the line.

But Coughlin is overdoing it by a ton. I never forgot the following story, it's getting a little old, but it tells you where he comes from:

Big Blue veterans quickly tiring of Coughlin's abuse

East Rutherford, N.J. – The fear from day one was that Giants veterans wouldn't buy into Tom Coughlin's program. Those fears are being realized. The Giants haven't even played a regular-season home game and are in a crisis.
    Four players reportedly have filed complaints with the union over getting fined for not being early enough to meetings. That's right, for not being early enough. With some coaxing yesterday, Coughlin admitted he starts meetings five minutes early. This is the kind of Coughlin garbage that's just unnecessary.
    Coughlin better watch it. He could lose his team before mid-season. Michael Strahan is reportedly among the players fined. He apparently got to an 8:25 a.m. meeting at 8:23. The door was closed. He was fined a thousand bucks. He took it up with the union.
    There already were questions regarding the relationship between Strahan and Coughlin. Strahan seems to detest Coughlin's style, the silly rules, the tough-guy persona. Coughlin needs Strahan in his corner. If Strahan goes south, others surely will follow.
    Strahan wouldn't discuss the complaint yesterday, a day after the Giants' 31-17 season-opening loss at Philadelphia. Asked if there's a chance the team could lose confidence in the coaching staff, Strahan said, "No. They just got here." Then Strahan let out a hearty laugh.
    Not sure what tickled his funny bone. But one thing is for certain: Nobody gets the last laugh unless Coughlin changes his ways.
    It's one thing not liking your coach. And if you took a straw poll in the locker room, Coughlin would get Ross Perot numbers. It's another thing not believing in your coach. There are no glowing endorsements of Coughlin from players, either on or off the record. The Giants seem as skeptical as many of us wondering if Coughlin can get them to the Super Bowl.
    Linebackers Carlos Emmons and Barrett Green, and cornerback Terry Cousin are the other players filing complaints. All of them are veterans. They have drawn a line in the sand with Coughlin, the classic bully coach. All four players acted prior to the opener.
    Think about it. If players are coming out against Coughlin before the Giants play their first game, how will they accept his methods if the team keeps losing?
    The Giants quit on Jim Fassel late last season – and they liked him. Imagine how much sooner it will take for them to pack it in on Coughlin.
    Not that the Giants have earned the right to call the shots. They are coming off a 4-12 season. They needed discipline.
    But they didn't need this kind of discipline. Fassel to Coughlin is swinging from one end of the spectrum to the other. This is like segueing from James Taylor to Black Sabbath on the iPod.
    Coughlin's first step should be to rescind the fines. It's a nice peacemaking gesture. Coughlin needs to pull the veterans into his corner. He needs to swallow some pride and let go of some ego. The game has changed. The only coaches who get away with dictatorship are the ones with jewelry on their fingers.
    Coughlin doesn't own any championship rings. Nor does he own his football team. All he owns is an 0-1 record.
    That record can get a lot worse. Coughlin better watch it. Once he loses the veterans, he's lost the team. Then the season is essentially over.

Prophet Guest

Yes, some good points in that article,
    Fassel to Coughlin is swinging from one end of the spectrum to the other. This is like segueing from James Taylor to Black Sabbath on the iPod
    :lol:. There is a balance. I agree with the author that he needs to get the Vets in his corner. Coughlin does have a somewhat impressive background as a coach though. Burress' even admitted that their relationship was improving....by respect that was earned...the only way to do it.

vikingTurf Guest

"Prophet" wrote:
    I like the seperation. I would rather have a disciplinarian that is doing their job rather than a 'buddy' coach.
    It's one thing to have a disciplinarian and another to have a dictator.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

I don't think Coughlin is concerned about whether Plaxico Burress likes him or not. Any and all criticisms of Coughlin went out the window after they went 11-5 last season. Sure, they tanked in the playoffs but the fact that they got there after going 6-10 in 2004 and giving up on Jim Fassel is enough to give Coughlin the juice to run the team as he sees fit.

"Benet" wrote:
    I don't think Coughlin is concerned about whether Plaxico Burress likes him or not. Any and all criticisms of Coughlin went out the window after they went 11-5 last season. Sure, they tanked in the playoffs but the fact that they got there after going 6-10 in 2004 and giving up on Jim Fassel is enough to give Coughlin the juice to run the team as he sees fit.
    You're right. They had a good season, and for that he deserves credit.

My point was just that I thought he were a jerk, and I will even if he wins the superbowl with them.

Burress' complaints just made me think of that old story with Strahan and the other vets back in 2004.

oddmanout22287 is offline Pro-Bowler

Dear Plaxico Burress:
    RE: Coughlin is uptight

Umm.... duh?

Signed,
    Anybody who pays the slightest attention to the NFL.

I don't care how good of a coach Coughlin is, he's a complete d*ck. A coach who reinforces the rules, there's nothing wrong with that. But fining someone because they're "only" 2 minutes EARLY to a meeting? Somebody didn't get hugged enough as a child.
    PM me if you'd like a sig.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I thought everybody knew he was uptight and high strung.