singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Burleson says departure of friends not a factor

[size=18px]Vikings notes: Burleson says departure of friends not a factor
    [/size]

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
    Last update: April 02, 2006 – 8:30 AM

Nate Burleson counted Randy Moss and Daunte Culpepper among his closest friends on the Vikings.

A third-round pick in 2003 from Nevada, Burleson often spoke of how Moss helped ease his transition to the NFL before Moss was traded to Oakland.

It was during the same time period that many felt Culpepper and Burleson developed a special bond; the plan was for Burleson to become Culpepper's No. 1 receiver in 2005. That never happened. Culpepper suffered a season-ending knee injury in October and Burleson battled injuries throughout much of the season. An unhappy Culpepper was shipped to Miami last month.

Burleson, however, said those departures did not play a role in his decision to leave Minnesota by signing a seven-year, $49 million offer sheet with Seattle. The restricted free agent officially became a member of his hometown Seahawks late Friday night when the Vikings did not match and instead obtained Seattle's third-round pick.

"I know the nature of the business," Burleson said. "I know that you can't depend on a friend wearing the same jersey as you for the rest of your career. A lot of things were involved outside of the game itself. So once [those things] happened I understood it and it never affected me. I have to do my job and play football regardless of if a close friend is gone."

Burleson led Vikings wide receivers in 2004, catching 68 passes for 1,005 yards and nine touchdowns. But he finished with only 30 catches for 328 yards and a touchdown in 12 games last season.

"I don't feel like I need to prove anything," said Burleson. "I just want to go out there and do my part and help out a team that is already extremely successful. I don't need to prove I'm a great receiver or a great guy. I just need to let my actions speak for myself on and off the field and blend in with the great things they are doing [in Seattle]."

Etc.

• Receiver Troy Williamson, who wore No. 19 as a rookie last season, is switching to 82, the same number he wore at South Carolina. Williamson couldn't get that jersey last season because it belonged to Keenan Howry, who is no longer with the team.

• The Vikings have entered into a second round of television and radio advertising to advocate the building of three stadiums that would include a ballpark for the Twins as well as stadiums for the Vikings and Gophers. The spots will run for about the next 10 days. The Vikings' ad campaign already is believed to have cost the team around $700,000. Vikings owner Zygi Wilf is scheduled to be in town this week to continue meeting with political leaders on the stadium issue. He also intends to attend at least a part of next weekend's minicamp.

• Tickets costing $20 for the Vikings' draft party April 29 at the Winter Park Fieldhouse will go on sale Monday. Call 612-338-4537 for more information.

Vikings notes: Burleson says departure of friends not a factor

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Burleson says departure of friends not a factor

Who would event think that would have an impact? Let's see here...I got offered a much bigger contract with another team, and my old team did not match it, but I'm going to stay because I have friends there. :roll: I don't care if his own mother were on the Vikings! He'd be dumb to turn that money down, regardless of whether or not he had friends on the team.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Burleson says departure of friends not a factor

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    Who would event think that would have an impact? Let's see here...I got offered a much bigger contract with another team, and my old team did not match it, but I'm going to stay because I have friends there. :roll: I don't care if his own mother were on the Vikings! He'd be dumb to turn that money down, regardless of whether or not he had friends on the team.
    Moe Williams turned down a $1 mil a year offer to play for the Vikings for $666,000 a year, just to continue to play for the Vikings. :wink:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"