cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Bunkley inked. 3 1st rounders left.

[size=14px]Eagles' first-rounder Bunkley ends holdout [/size]
    [size=9px]NFL.com wire reports[/size]

BETHLEHEM, Pa. (Aug. 4, 2006) -- Brodrick Bunkley agreed to a six-year contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, ending the first-round pick's two-week holdout.

Bunkley, the 14th pick in the NFL draft, missed 16 days of camp. The 6-foot-2, 300-pound defensive tackle won't play in Aug. 6's game against Oakland.

The Eagles selected Bunkley to fill a glaring need in the middle of a line that hardly generated a strong rush on quarterbacks last season. At Florida State, Bunkley proved to be a versatile player who can rush the passer and stuff the run. He had nine sacks, 66 tackles and two fumble recoveries as a senior.

Eagles coach Andy Reid and defensive coordinator Jim Johnson were concerned that Bunkley's absence from camp would delay his progress. One bright spot is that tackle is the easiest position to learn in Johnson's complex system.

The other defensive tackles -- Corey Simon and Mike Patterson -- selected by the Eagles in the first round since 2000 started as rookies. Simon held out 12 days, while Patterson made it to camp on time.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Re: Bunkley inked. 3 1st rounders left.

So he finally took the 6 years. Remember the Eagles startet TC allready on July 20th, as they are in the HoF Game.

The ones that are left now are:

8th Donte Whitner - SS - Bills
    10th Matt Leinart - QB - Cardinals
    16th Jason Allen - DB - Dolphins

[size=14px]EAGLES BAG BUNKLEY[/size]
    pft.com

A league source tells us that the Philadelphia Eagles and defensive tackle finally have come to terms with defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley, the team's first-round draft pick.

We're told that the deal has a base value of more than $12.5 million, with nearly $10 million in guaranteed money.

The primary sticking point was whether the deal would be five years or six years in length. We're told that the deal is indeed a six-year package, but that it contains an escalator that would push his final year salary to the franchise tender for defensive tackles in 2011. Bunkley needs to make it to the Pro Bowl three times in five years to trigger the maximum number, with lower triggers resulting in a smaller escalators.

kosova61 is offline Waterboy

bOOOO i hate the eagless

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

Here's a little news on the Donte Whitner negotiations with the Bills:

Bills Top Pick Demands to Be Paid Like Late First-Rounder

ORCHARD PARK, NY--Negotiations between the Buffalo Bills and their top pick, safety Donte Whitner, have stalled, and there is little hope they will start up again in the near future. Whitner was selected 8th overall by the Bills even though he was projected to go late in the first round. Nevertheless, he wants to be paid late first round money, and the Bills aren’t budging.

“We don’t care where he was projected to go,” said GM Marv Levy. “The fact is, he was selected 8th and that’s how he’s going to be paid. We didn’t reach for this guy just so we could pay him like some mediocre late first rounder. He’s setting a bad precedent here. He needs to follow the example of his teammates. Look at John McCargo. You don't see him demanding to be paid like a fifth round pick.”

The Bills surprised many observers by taking Whitner so high in the draft . Though he fills a need at safety, he probably would have been available late in the first round, and the Bills could have traded down and acquired an extra pick in the process.

The Bills see things differently, however.

“We’re not concerned about where other people project our guys,” said Levy. “We have our own draft board and Donte was really high. He’s only hurting himself by sitting out training camp. Plus I don’t think he gets it. You’re supposed to hold out for more money, not less money. I don’t think we get it either. But we’re not supposed to get it. We’re completely out of touch. What’s his excuse?”

Under new NFL rules, Whitner is being fined $14,000 per day for his absence. He is undeterred, however, and plans to sit out “as long as it takes” to get the contract he deserves. Like many others, Whitner cannot understand why he was drafted so high.

“It was a total shock to go that high,” Whitner said, in a telephone interview. “I was all geared up to go in the late first round or early second round. Unfortunately things don’t always work out the way you plan. But that's okay. All I want is what every NFL player wants: my fair market value, which, in my case, is extremely low.”

Whitner is not the only player to hold out for his fair market value this offseason. Reggie Bush, who was selected with the second pick despite being the consensus number one, demanded to be paid like the top pick anyway. Matt Leinart, who dropped all the way to eleven, is looking to be paid like a lottery pick. Whitner, however, is the only player to hold out for less money because he is too embarrassed to be grossly overpaid by a front office that he believes is “in over its head.”

Levy denied being in over his head and claimed the front office was just sticking to its strategy.

“I’m not in over my head. I’m totally qualified for this job,” he said. “I’ve been in this business for decades. I was losing Super Bowls when Donte Whitner was in kindergarten. This front office has a plan and we’re sticking to it. It may not be a good plan or a sound plan, and it may go against conventional wisdom, and it may blow up in our face and result in the complete collapse of the franchise, but that’s not the point. You have to develop a system and remain faithful to it. I read that in a book about the Patriots.”

The only hope of breaking this impasse lies in the hands of Whitner’s agent, Jonathan Hurst. Hurst appreciates the Bills efforts to overpay his client and will try to convince Whitner to swallow his pride and sign the contract, of which he gets a 5 percent cut

“Getting Donte into camp is our top priority,” Hurst told reporters today. “He shouldn’t worry about where he was projected to go. The fact is, they selected him at 8 and that’s their problem. Plus, this is the Bills. If you’re going to be on a sinking ship you might as well get paid for it.”

The situation grew more dire for Whitner on Tuesday when the Bills announced they would increase their offer every day that he sat out training camp.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    Whitner was selected 8th overall by the Bills even though he was projected to go late in the first round. Nevertheless, he wants to be paid late first round money, and the Bills aren’t budging.

“We don’t care where he was projected to go,” said GM Marv Levy. “The fact is, he was selected 8th and that’s how he’s going to be paid. We didn’t reach for this guy just so we could pay him like some mediocre late first rounder. He’s setting a bad precedent here. He needs to follow the example of his teammates. Look at John McCargo. You don't see him demanding to be paid like a fifth round pick.”
    “We’re not concerned about where other people project our guys,” said Levy. “We have our own draft board and Donte was really high. He’s only hurting himself by sitting out training camp. Plus I don’t think he gets it. You’re supposed to hold out for more money, not less money. I don’t think we get it either. But we’re not supposed to get it. We’re completely out of touch. What’s his excuse?”
    “It was a total shock to go that high,” Whitner said, in a telephone interview. “I was all geared up to go in the late first round or early second round. Unfortunately things don’t always work out the way you plan. But that's okay. All I want is what every NFL player wants: my fair market value, which, in my case, is extremely low.”
    What is this about? I don't think I've ever heard about anyone demanding less money. What is he thinking? Take the money and run.

Please somebody tell me what I'm missing here.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

"cogitans" wrote:
    Whitner was selected 8th overall by the Bills even though he was projected to go late in the first round. Nevertheless, he wants to be paid late first round money, and the Bills aren’t budging.

“It was a total shock to go that high,” Whitner said, in a telephone interview. “I was all geared up to go in the late first round or early second round. Unfortunately things don’t always work out the way you plan. But that's okay. All I want is what every NFL player wants my fair market value, which, in my case, is extremely low.”
    What is this about? I don't think I've ever heard about anyone demanding less money. What is he thinking? Take the money and run.

It's a satire site.

He's not actually holding out for less money. They're just poking fun at how Whitner is holding out even though he's lucky to get every penny he gets.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

"cogitans" wrote:

“It was a total shock to go that high,” Whitner said, in a telephone interview. “I was all geared up to go in the late first round or early second round. Unfortunately things don’t always work out the way you plan. But that's okay. All I want is what every NFL player wants my fair market value, which, in my case, is extremely low.”

It's a satire site.

He's not actually holding out for less money. They're just poking fun at how Whitner is holding out even though he's lucky to get every penny he gets.
    Ok.

Kudos to me. I thought I was going mad or something.

[size=14px]Bills sign Whitner, the draft's No. 8 pick[/size]
    [size=9px]NFL.com wire reports[/size]

BUFFALO, N.Y. (Aug. 5, 2006) -- Rookie safety Donte Whitner signed with the Buffalo Bills, joining the team after the No. 8 draft pick missed the first eight days of training camp.

The former Ohio State star had been the top drafted player still unsigned and only one of three first-round selections not under contract.

Whitner was seeking a five-year contract. Talks had stalled last week, with Bills general manager Marv Levy saying Aug. 4 the two sides were at "a stalemate."

Whitner arrived at training camp site in suburban Rochester, but not in time to practice. He is expected to be on the field Aug. 7 -- the Bills have Aug. 6 off.

The Bills had projected Whitner as their Week 1 starter. He now has plenty of catching up to do after missing 14 practices. The Bills have expressed concerns that Whitner has missed valuable time learning the defense and bonding with teammates.

His development already has been delayed because he missed all but two of Buffalo's spring minicamps because of Ohio State's relatively late exam schedule. Whitner spent last week working out at Ohio State and noted he was studying the Bills' playbook.

Believing a deal was close, Whitner had traveled to the Rochester area before the start of camp July 26. But he returned to Ohio a day later after negotiations stalled.

He is a hard hitter who finished third among the Buckeyes with 73 tackles, adding four sacks and two interceptions as a junior last season. He helped Ohio State rank fifth in the nation in defense. It allowed 281 yards a game and 15 points last season.

So it's down to Leinart and Allen for the longest rookie holdout title.