Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Del Rio Guest

Re: Bud Grant says better team lost

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    The only problem is in football, you only have to be a better team then the team your playing for 1 game.

I think that is one of the best parts about football. There are no gimmes in the playoffs. If you don't bring your A game even once, you don't get to come back.
    I agree. I wasn't trying to say it was a problem in general, just that it is a problem for Bud and his statement. He can say the Seahawks are a better team and be correct. It doesn't mean anything in the NFL though, because all you have to be is better on that one day.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    I'll go against the grain here.

Regardless of the refs, the better team won the game.

Heck, they just beat the 3 best teams in the dominant conference on the road. Sure, niether team played all that great; but the better team won.

True that man.. Beating the top seeds on the road is tough.. Gotta give it up for Pittsburgh..

6-KINGS Guest

I really see the Steelers being a little bit better.
    That is why i wish the SB was a series like all other pro TEAM sports.

Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

singersp reports:

A number of the Pro Football Hall of Fame voters have expressed an interest in former Vikings center Mick Tingelhoff being a seniors' candidate, maybe as soon as next year

I would like ta see dat, but we needs ta get Jim "Da REAL Iron Man" Marshall in foist.

Mick, for all youse guys dat never saw him play in da old days, was a walk-on free agent dat became a perrienial pro-bowler, and one of da toughest guys out dere playin'. Dese days, teams hold a guy out for a 'high ankle sprain', or 'tissue bruise'. HAH! Mick used ta suit up and play on grotesquely swollen ankles, an' no one tought much about back den. Dat's when da real men played football, bustin' footballs for chump change, because dey loved ta play.

Dat's why I'm old school.

An' dat's why I wanna see Marshall an' Tinglehoff in da HOF. Dey desoive it.
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

I think it really depends what you mean by the better team. If you're talking about the better team on paper, then the Seahawks win it hands down. If you're talking about the better team over the course of the entire season, then the Seahawks probably win it too.

But if you're talking about the better team in the Super Bowl, then Pittsburgh wins. Not only did they win on the scoreboard, but they deserved the win, because the Hawks shot themselves in the foot with dropped balls, missed field goals, a bad interception, etc.

During the Super Bowl, the Steelers were clearly the team that executed better, and that's what football is all about. If you wanna talk about what could've been if the Seahawks had played to their full potential, then you're silly, because this is why we play the game. On paper, the Vikings looked unbeatable. But we all had to eat some humble pie, because the games certainly said something different.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    Two Seahawks Pro Bowl free agents who the Vikings will take a look at are offensive lineman Steve Hutchinson and running back Shaun Alexander, the league's Most Valuable Player.

I like that right there.. We definitley need to look at both..

As for Bud's comments.. Im kinda split.. The teams are about even to me..

Pitts has a better D and a solid O.. While Seattle has a better O and a solid D..

If the game was called more fair (although almost all of the calls were justifyed) it would have been closer and I don't know who would have won..

I saw some calls go Seattle's way as well.. Such as Stevens fumbling but they called it an incomplete pass..
    That went against the Seahawks too...because the ball went out of bounds...which would have made it Seahawks ball and first down.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Heck, they just beat the 3 best teams in the dominant conference on the road. Sure, niether team played all that great; but the better team won.
    I would agree with that ultra. If the Seahawks had to play the playoff teams that the Steelers did to get to the Superbowl I doubt if they would have made it. Also the Steelers were a team that was getting better as the season progressed. I am not sure you could say that about the Seahawks.

WWBGD

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

i definatley agree some of the calls were complete baloney and I definatley think that Seattle should have won the game

Thank you Josdin for the sig

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"RK." wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:

I would agree with that ultra. If the Seahawks had to play the playoff teams that the Steelers did to get to the Superbowl I doubt if they would have made it. Also the Steelers were a team that was getting better as the season progressed. I am not sure you could say that about the Seahawks.
    I tend to agree also.

The kicker for Seattle changed this game, not the refs. That wass a huge mental disadvantage for the Seadogs. Six points left onthe field by a kicker that had the leg, but not the accuracy. The kicker is part of the team.

A statement like this from Grant makes me wonder about him vouching for Childress. I guess if Jaws endorses Childress also, it must be good.

scarface is offline Training Camp

The better team won.Maybe ole bud was tired or crabby when that statement was made

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast