Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Bud Grant says better team lost

[size=18px]Sid Hartman: Grant says better team lost[/size]

Ex-Vikings coach Bud Grant believes the Seahawks were a better team than the Steelers; Joel Maturi was happy to see Ben Roethlisberger win the Super Bowl.

Sid Hartman, Star Tribune
    Last update: February 05, 2006 – 11:58 PM

Pittsburgh won the Super Bowl, beating Seattle 21-10 on Sunday at Ford Field in Detroit. But Bud Grant, who took four Vikings teams to the big event, thought the NFC champion Seahawks were the better team, even though they lost.

"If they played a two-out-of-three or three-out-of-five series, I think Seattle would win," Grant said. "I don't think either is a great team."
    __________________________________________________ ______

Backs Childress

Ron Jaworski, the former Eagles quarterback who is now an ESPN commentator and still a Philadelphia resident, believes the Vikings made a great choice in their selection of Brad Childress as coach. "The only question about Childress is that he never has been a head coach," Jaworski said at the Super Bowl. "But he has all the qualities to be a success and sure contributed a lot to the Eagles' success."

Incidentally, Childress has given Vikings coaches the week off this week, and they will resume work with the entire staff hired next week.

__________________________________________________ _________

Two Seahawks Pro Bowl free agents who the Vikings will take a look at are offensive lineman Steve Hutchinson and running back Shaun Alexander, the league's Most Valuable Player.
    __________________________________________________ _________

A number of the Pro Football Hall of Fame voters have expressed an interest in former Vikings center Mick Tingelhoff being a seniors' candidate, maybe as soon as next year

http://www.startribune.com/507/story/227909.html

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

Re: Bud Grant says better team lost

"If they played a two-out-of-three or three-out-of-five series, I think Seattle would win," Grant said. "I don't think either is a great team."
    That could be said for most SBs. The argument of a series being played in the playoffs is popular, but with the real possibility of injuries in those games the wildcards are too unpredictable to say who would win. Maybe neither or great teams in the context of NFL history, but I have no doubt that they were two of the top five teams in the mix this year. Change the interpretation by referring to a series of games and the whole NFL history would have to be re-worked.

It would be fun to see the roster size increased and see the best of three series go into effect though. The playoffs could last until the draft and we could rid ourselves of the offseason forever.

Del Rio Guest

I agree with Bud,

The Seahawks are a better team. No question in my mind.

The only problem is in football, you only have to be a better team then the team your playing for 1 game.

When the Steelers played the Seahawks even though IMO the Seahwaks were and are a better rounded, better football team, the Steelers were better when it counted.

CynicalVike is offline Starter

The Steelers didn't beat the Seahawks, the officials did!

If the officials had just let them just play ball and not tried so hard to be a part of the game, Seattle would have won.
    I used to be indecisive, now I m not so sure!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Unfortunately, Bud said the same thing about all of his SB teams as well :sad:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

BIGDADDYG is offline Pro-Bowler

I'm with Bud, the Seahawks were the better team. Unfortunately they made costly mistakes and had too many bad calls against them. Too bad for the Seahawks cause the Vikings are going to be there next year!!!!

Like my POPEYE Tattoo says " I
    Y AM
    WHAT
    I
    Y AM "

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Two Seahawks Pro Bowl free agents who the Vikings will take a look at are offensive lineman Steve Hutchinson and running back Shaun Alexander, the league's Most Valuable Player.

I like that right there.. We definitley need to look at both..

As for Bud's comments.. Im kinda split.. The teams are about even to me..

Pitts has a better D and a solid O.. While Seattle has a better O and a solid D..

If the game was called more fair (although almost all of the calls were justifyed) it would have been closer and I don't know who would have won..

I saw some calls go Seattle's way as well.. Such as Stevens fumbling but they called it an incomplete pass..

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I really could care less about that stupid SB. I am only interested in one sentence in that statement. The Vikings are looking at 2 of Seattle's FA's. I would love to get Hutchinson, but I think we can find a good back in FA that won't cost as much..

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

The only problem is in football, you only have to be a better team then the team your playing for 1 game.

I think that is one of the best parts about football. There are no gimmes in the playoffs. If you don't bring your A game even once, you don't get to come back.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I'll go against the grain here.

Regardless of the refs, the better team won the game.

Heck, they just beat the 3 best teams in the dominant conference on the road. Sure, niether team played all that great; but the better team won.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast