Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Browns Offer Anderson A Three-year Deal

There has been a lot of talk on PP.O about the Vikes getting Anderson from the Browns. While this article doesn't preclude that from happening, it shows that the Brows are still very interested in his services.
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
    One of the biggest questions in the 2008 offseason will be whether the Browns will keep quarterback Derek Anderson for one year as a restricted free agent, trade him, decide not to match an offer sheet he signs with another team (for compensation), or sign him to a long-term deal.

The first step in the process has been an offer from the team for a three-year contract, according to the Columbus Dispatch.

A three-year deal protects the team against Anderson not delivering on the potential he showed in 2007.
    If he regresses, the Browns would still be able to turn to Brady Quinn, who is signed for four more years.

But Anderson needs to get paid while he can, and a three-year deal likely won't carry with it significant guaranteed money...
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Browns Offer Anderson A Three-year Deal

Thanks COJO.

Although I was one of the few on here who thought giving up a 1rst and a 3rd for this guy was a done deal, I have now changed my mind.

Just to many things still to be fixed to waste 2 picks on another QB that still will have his ups and downs.
    Granted they probably wouldn't be anywere close to what TJ will probably have next year but we sure could fix alot of the long term (Big vision) supporting cast problems with those 2 picks.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I'm surprised at the Browns doing this as with him being so hot then it would be the ideal time to get the maximum return. Not if this says that the Browns are not entirely convinced about Quinn or whether they are just being clueless. I'm in favour of having a good backup QB but I'm not sure that Anderson or Quinn would want to just be well paid backups.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

"AngloVike" wrote:
    I'm surprised at the Browns doing this as with him being so hot then it would be the ideal time to get the maximum return. Not if this says that the Browns are not entirely convinced about Quinn or whether they are just being clueless. I'm in favour of having a good backup QB but I'm not sure that Anderson or Quinn would want to just be well paid backups.
    A three year deal is about right though.. if he continues to progress, they can turn and deal Quinn.. if not they can deal him or cut him out right if he flops. Personally, I think he is a good quarterback that will continue to improve, he played well in college as well. Big, strong arm, mobile enough..

The big issue that the Browns will have is that Quinn will start to whine sometime next year about opportunity and then they might have to deal with it one way or another.. Brady doesn't strike me as a team first type of kid.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"pack93z" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    A three year deal is about right though.. if he continues to progress, they can turn and deal Quinn.. if not they can deal him or cut him out right if he flops. Personally, I think he is a good quarterback that will continue to improve, he played well in college as well. Big, strong arm, mobile enough..

The big issue that the Browns will have is that Quinn will start to whine sometime next year about opportunity and then they might have to deal with it one way or another.. Brady doesn't strike me as a team first type of kid.
    Boy, me neither! And I'm betting if he isn't starting by mid-season next year he will be a chronic complainer in the locker room. He's a "me-first" type of guy rather than a team player in MHO
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Good move on Cleveland's part.
    If I'm them, I want both guys on the roster for the next few years even at a fairly high price.
    However, with all the holes in QB position around the league, I got to believe there will be some wheeler dealers out there.

I would love to see him in MN, might be okay with the first round pick to enable the deal if it means missing out on another 1st round DE selection.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Wow - that's actually huge news.
    There is no way they will keep both Quinn and Anderson if Anderson has a five year deal, so one of them will definately be on the trading block.

I bet they slap the highest RFA tender on Anderson, offer him up for trade bait with a hefty price tag if nobody bites, and franchise him and trade him in 09 if they can't get what they want.

I think the Vikings would be one of the interested teams in either Anderson or Quinn, but I doubt we would want to pay their asking price...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

why would they need to get rid of one?
    it actually makes sense to have quinn sit for a few years, to become better so one day when the time comes, he can step in and be the next Tony Romo.
    Despite what childress believes, its better to have a qb start when he's ready, not right away.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    why would they need to get rid of one?
    it actually makes sense to have quinn sit for a few years, to become better so one day when the time comes, he can step in and be the next Tony Romo.
    Despite what childress believes, its better to have a qb start when he's ready, not right away.
    Its not a point of getting rid of one.
    Its all about DA being a RFA this year and his status shortly after that in 09.

You just don't want him walking out the door.
    Read Nodacks post directly above yours.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast