singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Broncos: Todd Sauerbrun fails test. Punter faces suspension

Article Launched: 07/07/2006 01:00:00 AM MDT

denver broncos

[size=18px]Sauerbrun fails test[/size]

Source: Broncos punter faces suspension for use of ephedra

By Bill Williamson
    Denver Post Staff Writer

Broncos punter Todd Sauerbrun recently tested positive for the supplement ephedra and will be suspended for four games, a source close to the situation confirmed Thursday.

The suspension would be served in the first four regular-season games, if appeals don't cause a delay.

Before joining the Broncos in May 2005, Sauerbrun had had his troubles. He was implicated in a Carolina Panthers' steroid scandal and was arrested in December 2004 for drunken driving.

NFL spokesman Steve Alic said Thursday night the league had "no news to report" regarding Sauerbrun.

The Broncos, through a team spokesman, had no comment Thursday evening, per team policy regarding suspensions that are not confirmed by the league. The story was first reported by the website profootballtalk.com after the Broncos' minicamp Thursday.

Ephedra was banned in the fall of 2001 after the death of Minnesota tackle Korey Stringer. The substance, used as a dietary supplement and known for dehydrating the body, was found in Stringer's training camp locker after he died from heatstroke Aug. 1, 2001.

In accordance with NFL policy, first-time positive tests for ephedra result in an automatic four-game suspension.

Sauerbrun was at Denver's minicamp Thursday. He is expected to participate today and Saturday.

If suspended, Sauerbrun could participate in training camp, which begins July 28, but must leave the team during the suspension time. The Broncos open the season Sept. 10 at St. Louis, so any suspension would likely start on Monday, Sept. 4.

Sauerbrun would be able to return to the Broncos Oct. 10 when the team begins to prepare for its fifth game, which is Oct. 15 against Oakland.

Players who are suspended for drug or alcohol policy infractions can continue to work out at team facilities, but players suspended for using banned supplements cannot.

Sauerbrun was one of three Panthers players named in an investigation of a South Carolina physician accused of writing illegal prescriptions for steroids.

According to a "60 Minutes" report aired in March 2005, Sauerbrun filled prescriptions for a testosterone cream during the 2003 season. The CBS report also said Sauerbrun obtained syringes and the injectable steroid stanozolol. He was not implicated in any lawsuit or disciplined by the league.

After his DUI arrest, Sauerbrun eventually pleaded guilty to driving while impaired during a May 2005 hearing and was fined $100 and placed on a year's unsupervised probation. Charges of speeding and driving while his license was revoked were dismissed.

Denver could sign a veteran punter to compete in training camp if Sauerbrun were suspended. Available punters include Micah Knorr, Kyle Richardson and Mark Royals.

Knorr was cut by Denver in the 2004 season. Second-year Bronco Paul Ernster, who was on the practice squad when he suffered a torn right ACL last September, could start. Youngsters Jeff Williams and Tyler Fredrickson will also be in camp.

Sauerbrun has stayed out of trouble since coming to Denver and is popular in the locker room. He averaged 43.8 yards per punt this season.

Staff writer Bill Williamson can be reached at 303-820-5450 or [email protected]

Sauerbrun fails test

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

Re: Broncos: Todd Sauerbrun fails test. Punter faces suspension

KFFL
    Broncos | Sauerbrun suspended for drug use
    Fri, 7 Jul 2006 10:16:39 -0700

Updating previous reports, ESPNews reports Denver Broncos P Todd Sauerbrun has been suspended for four games by the NFL. Sauerbrun tested positive for the performance-enhancing drug ephedra, a violation of the league's drug policy.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

He failed that WOOD CHOPPING test AGAIN???
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Broncos: Todd Sauerbrun fails test. Punter faces suspens

From The Mercury News;

Posted on Thu, Jul. 27, 2006

[size=18px]Broncos punter loses appeal of suspension[/size]

ARNIE STAPLETON
    Associated Press

DENVER - Todd Sauerbrun says he's the victim of bad timing and his own foolishness.

The Denver Broncos' punter lost his appeal this week of his four-game suspension for using the banned dietary supplement ephedra in a misguided attempt to lose weight and gain gusto for his workouts.

"I told him that I was very disappointed in him," coach Mike Shanahan said Thursday as the Broncos gathered for training camp. "We took a chance on him. Of all the things, ephedra! What it does is make you lose weight. He's the only guy on the team which I don't care if he's fat. I don't care if he's 30 pounds overweight. All you've got to do is punt the ball. Kick it into the end zone."

Sauerbrun, who was fined by his previous employer, the Carolina Panthers, for eating too much, worries about his weight all the time.

"Well, I care if I'm fat," said Sauerbrun, who packs 215 pounds on his beefy 5-foot-10 frame. "I always want to be in the best shape I can. ... And it kind of backfired on me."

The 12-year veteran said he knowingly took an over-the-counter weight loss product this summer that he strongly suspected contained ephedra, which the NFL banned after the death of Minnesota Vikings offensive tackle Korey Stringer during training camp in 2001. Players are randomly tested and can be suspended after the first violation.

"I wanted to be up for my workout," Sauerbrun said. "It's not steroids. Every one of you guys probably had it at one time or another. And all it does is wake you up, get you ready for your workout. I just wanted to be in the best shape I could when I got here, and that's what they're getting me for."

Sauerbrun said he knew the supplement would leave his system within 36 hours. Trouble is, a member of the league's anti-doping squad knocked on his door at 8 a.m. the next day for a urine sample and he knew he was busted.

"It was just a bad timing thing and a bad decision," Sauerbrun said.

And he said he didn't realize he'd be suspended for a first-time offense: "That's pretty harsh if you ask me. It's not steroids."

Sauerbrun said he suspects, however, that the league is keeping a closer eye on him after his name came up in the steroid scandal in South Carolina last year: "Absolutely, I'm sure it all stems back to that."

Dr. James Shortt was sentenced this month to one year and one day in prison after admitting he conspired to illegally prescribe anabolic steroids and human growth hormone to NFL players. Federal prosecutors have said they have audiotaped conversations between Shortt and Sauerbrun as well as other Panthers players.

By the time reports linked him to Shortt, Carolina was looking to trade Sauerbrun after a series of on- and off-field problems, including a drunken driving arrest and fines for being overweight.

Sauerbrun's acquisition last season helped the Broncos turn field position in their favor - he averaged nearly 44 yards a punt - and he was quickly welcomed in the locker room.

He said he feels bad for letting down the team, which will have to face St. Louis, Kansas City, New England and Baltimore in September without him.

"It completely (stinks)," Sauerbrun said. "This is just not cool. I'm going to not be around my guys in the locker room and that's what I cherish most of all. We've got a great bunch of guys around here and I'm going to miss that month. Other than that, I'm pretty sick about it."

Sauerbrun, who also kicks off, is allowed to attend training camp and can punt in the preseason. But he won't be allowed around the team during his suspension, which will cost him $328,000 of his $1.395 million salary next season.

It could also cost him a shot at a lucrative extension with the Broncos after this season.

Vying for the starting job during Sauerbrun's suspension will be second-year pro Paul Ernster, who tore a ligament in his right (kicking) knee last September when he was on the Broncos' practice squad, and free-agent Micah Knorr, who played for Denver from 2002-04 and re-signed with the team on Thursday.

Sauerbrun said he especially regrets letting down Shanahan, who gave him a fresh start last year.

"I'm disgusted about it," he said. "The only thing I can say is it will never happen again. My goal here is not for things like this to happen. I want to help these guys, not hurt them."

Broncos punter loses appeal of suspension

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is online now Jersey Retired

It's official. everybody cheats. even punters.