Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Del Rio is offline Coordinator

Re: Briggs wants out of Chicago

"Purplexing" wrote:
    Players must honor agreements they sign.
    The CBA was signed, and is referenced in players contracts as provisions or clauses.
    If a player didn't want to honor them, there is always the CFL, or other avenues of employment open to them.
    Would the compensation be less in the CFL, or elsewhere?
    Yes, most likely so.

Briggs could ask for $20 million per year, and a $50 million signing bonus, which is far above his market value.
    That would automatically result in him being tagged by Da Bearrrsss, who would be right in not accepting the attempted 'extortion'.
    Da Bearrrsss would do this to protect their right for compensation.
    Da Bearrrsss earned their right to compensation by scouting various players, and drafting them, or trading players or draft picks to obtain the draft pick which was used to obtain a current player.

Briggs' estimation of his value may be far off the perception of Da Bearrrsss
    management, and perhaps the rest of the league.

Is that a valid reason for him to not honor the CBA?
    No.
    The league may need to intervene if the two parties in the dispute cannot reach a compromise.

The issue of risk of career-ending injury while playing for $7 million while he could get $10 million or more per season is moot.
    He can buy a disability insurance policy to cover future earnings lost due to disability from Lloyds of London, etc.
    Your gripe with it is, is it wrong?

Much like an EULA, an umbrella CBA agreement is legally binding to the point of payment. If he holds out it is his right, a right that is also protected by the players union. He is not compensated for it and he is doing nothing wrong.

If it was not his right to stage a hold out he would be banned from the NFL. Players hold out and refuse to accept the franchise tag all of the time with no repurcussion other then loss of the stability and payment their contract provided them. Without having his contract available for viewing I would say it is a large assumption he aggreed to anything in particular, in fact I could claim it is common for agents to write in a contract the possibility of a hold out as well. We have no idea.

So as you suggest the CFL as an alternative the other more practical and legal alternative is holding out without pay. Only that leaves a bad taste in fans mouths who feel money is the bottom line and demand allegence even at the cost of a players happiness.

He has two options. Hold out with no pay to force a move, or retire. Both are acceptable. Both hurt fans feelings.
    If you promise to be smarter, I will promise to be nicer.

My posts are worth 6 of yours.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    He has two options. Hold out with no pay to force a move, or retire. Both are acceptable. Both hurt fans feelings.
    I don't think anyone is questioning his right to hold out.
    I am questioning his reasoning.
    He rejected a big bucks contract, knowing that the Bears would likely franchise him.
    And when they do, he gets pissed off.

That's squarely in the Latrell Sprewell "I need more money to feed my family" bucket.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    He rejected a big bucks contract, knowing that the Bears would likely franchise him.

That's squarely in the Latrell Sprewell "I need more money to feed my family" bucket.

=Z=
    Not at all.

He never mentioned money you are assuming he wants more money. What he did say he wanted was a leader role, the same role he will never get playing in Chicago behind Urlacher. You are also trying to apply a contract he didn't agree to almost a year ago.

This could very well be a guy who wants to do something to better his career, a guy who wants a bigger challenge, who wants to lead a teams defense as the main man in charge. It could have very little to do with money at all.

7 million is a lot of money for one year. In fact if he signed a multi year deal it is hard to say he would get 7 million guaranteed for his first year. If it was about money, I do not see why he would piss on 7 million dollars.

I wont try to analyze his reasoning too much because I do not know his situation. It is his career and his right and his reasons are his own.

I would be upset as well if my employer refused to let me do what was best for my career and my family.

"Del" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:

=Z=
    Not at all.

He never mentioned money you are assuming he wants more money. What he did say he wanted was a leader role, the same role he will never get playing in Chicago behind Urlacher. You are also trying to apply a contract he didn't agree to almost a year ago.

This could very well be a guy who wants to do something to better his career, a guy who wants a bigger challenge, who wants to lead a teams defense as the main man in charge. It could have very little to do with money at all.

7 million is a lot of money for one year. In fact if he signed a multi year deal it is hard to say he would get 7 million guaranteed for his first year. If it was about money, I do not see why he would piss on 7 million dollars.

I wont try to analyze his reasoning too much because I do not know his situation. It is his career and his right and his reasons are his own.

I would be upset as well if my employer refused to let me do what was best for my career and my family.
    http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7006741343

Briggs also aspires to be a leader on defense, a barrier he can't overcome as long as Brian Urlacher in patrol.

"I've talked to Brian about it," Briggs told FoxSports.com. "I'm a competitor and I want the same thing he has. I've learned a lot from Brian as a player and a leader and I eventually want to be 'the man' somewhere. I want to be like him and have everything put on me too. Obviously I'll never be able to do that there.

"Still, had the Bears made me a long-term offer that I found acceptable, I probably would have sacrificed this desire and stayed. I don't want to be somewhere I'm not wanted long-term."

Briggs and the Bears were in contract negotiations last spring, but the linebacker reportedly turned down a six-year, $33 million offer.

Angelo said he has no intention of resuming negotiations with Briggs

"We did go to Lance in the spring to try to do a long-term deal. So that was our intent as it has been with other players that we had under contract before their contracts expired," Angelo said. "We gave it what we feel are our very best efforts. We thought we put a very good deal on the table. And we also told them that the option of the franchise tag was there and they decided to pass the deal up and play it out. We certainly have to respect that. And we also told them that we were going to move on."
    Sure sounds like money to me.

=Z=

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Still, had the Bears made me a long-term offer that I found acceptable, I probably would have sacrificed this desire and stayed. I don't want to be somewhere I'm not wanted long-term."...

=Z=
    How does that sound like money?
    To me it sounds more like wanting to move on in his career and be the man.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

We agree on many things.
    I was unclear on what I meant by saying Briggs must abide by his contract provisions.
    Briggs has the right to hold out.
    I didn't mean to imply he didn't have that right per the CBA.
    But if he does, he LOSES THE RIGHT
    to collect the $7.2 million set by the franchise tag provision he agreed to by signing an NFL contract.

Owners rights are being ignored by many people who don't understand labor laws.
    No one is guaranteed employment, thus no player is owed future money if they are injured and cannot play another year.
    And no player is guaranteed the right to move to another NFL team simply because his current team is 'cheap'.

So, the only argument Briggs can make is there is a difference in perception of his market value.
    That is likely why Da Bearrrsss didn't offer him what he wanted, and eventually tagged him to avoid loss of compensation of their investment in him as a skilled player who might sign elsewhere.

Briggs cannot use the argument that he risks injury playing for $7.2 million in 2007 when he could earn much more without the franchise tag provision.
    So, he can holdout, and not earn any money in 2007.
    But he can never play for another team in 2008 or later until the matter of compensation to Da Bearrrsss is resolved.

Briggs is holding the cards now.
    He has to realize that Da Bearrrsss have the force of the CBA to protect their right to compensation.
    If he holds out, both he and Da Bearrrsss lose; he loses his salary and Da Bearrrsss lose their compensation for their investment of drafting and training him.

If the NFL PA thinks the CBA agreement is unfair in theses franchise tag situations, they have the right to holdout as a group of 1,000's of players.
    But why should 1,000's of players suffer due to the greed or cheapness of a few players and a few teams?

Is the CBA perfect?
    No.
    Was it agreed to by both parties?
    Yes.
    Are it's provisons binding on both parties?
    Yes.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Still, had the Bears made me a long-term offer that I found acceptable, I probably would have sacrificed this desire and stayed. I don't want to be somewhere I'm not wanted long-term."...

=Z=
    The Bears offered him a long-term deal which he rejected.
    And then he complains about "not being wanted".

You get that, right?

=Z=

"Purplexing" wrote:
    ...Is the CBA perfect?
    No.
    Was it agreed to by both parties?
    Yes.
    Are it's provisons binding on both parties?
    Yes.
    Are contracts continually broken in the NFL and not honored?
    Yes.

That's the part that makes the whole argument moot and the reasoning we don't know.
    Contracts are signed all the time and broken in the NFL and it makes the only thing that is meaningful the guaranteed money up-front.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:

=Z=
    Not at all.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7006741343

Briggs also aspires to be a leader on defense, a barrier he can't overcome as long as Brian Urlacher in patrol.

"I've talked to Brian about it," Briggs told FoxSports.com. "I'm a competitor and I want the same thing he has. I've learned a lot from Brian as a player and a leader and I eventually want to be 'the man' somewhere. I want to be like him and have everything put on me too. Obviously I'll never be able to do that there.

"Still, had the Bears made me a long-term offer that I found acceptable, I probably would have sacrificed this desire and stayed. I don't want to be somewhere I'm not wanted long-term."

Briggs and the Bears were in contract negotiations last spring, but the linebacker reportedly turned down a six-year, $33 million offer.

Angelo said he has no intention of resuming negotiations with Briggs

"We did go to Lance in the spring to try to do a long-term deal. So that was our intent as it has been with other players that we had under contract before their contracts expired," Angelo said. "We gave it what we feel are our very best efforts. We thought we put a very good deal on the table. And we also told them that the option of the franchise tag was there and they decided to pass the deal up and play it out. We certainly have to respect that. And we also told them that we were going to move on."

=Z=
    Let me get this straight, the guy is willing to take out loans in order to move and you are sure he is consumed by money.

The guy turned down a contract LAST YEAR before the season started, is a back to back pro-bowler is upset that he was not offered a life securing contract that guarantees he will be the man when Urlacher is done THIS SEASON of his second pro-bowl and he is consumed with money.

I'm not buying what you are selling. If he was money hungry I do not belive he would be content to live off of loans for a year for a chance to move, and I will bet you when he does move, and he will.....he will sign for something much the same as he was offered in April.

The fact that he turned down a deal last year before his second pro-bowl season, a deal that is 6 years long and worth 33 mil (which is isn't) that would come out to about 5 million a year, means very little to me.

I don't need to argue his intentions, I personaly believe he wants out of Urlachers shadow. Regardless my only argument is it is his right to do so and I have no hard feelings on players who execute that right even if they play for my team.

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:

=Z=
    The Bears offered him a long-term deal which he rejected.
    And then he complains about "not being wanted".

You get that, right?

=Z=
    That can be interpreted however you want it.
    If he wants a long-term contract because of his family or because he sees his role as something that fulfills a long-term need, or a range of other scenarios, then that is how he sees it.
    I don't interpret that as money, you do.
    I just don't see it as a monetary decision based on that quote.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast