Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Briggs wants out of Chicago

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 1:51 p.m. EST; UPDATED 2:10 p.m. EST, March 5, 2007

BRIGGS WANTS OUT OF CHICAGO

Bears linebacker Lance Briggs, apparently frustrated by all the millions of dollars that guys not named Lance Briggs are getting on the open market, wants out of Chicago.

"There's a difference between the Chicago Bears team and the Chicago Bears organization," Briggs told ESPN.com.
    "The Chicago Bears team? The coaches, players, city and fans?
    Yeah, I could stay there forever.
    I love it.
    But the Chicago Bears organization?
    I don't want to be there anymore.
    I won't play for them and I'll do everything in my power to keep from playing there."

Briggs is currently limited by the franchise tag.
    Though he's free to sign an offer sheet with a new team, the Bears would have the right to either match the deal or to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.
    And the days of any player being worth two first-rounders ended with Keyshawn Johnson, Joey Galloway, and Sean Gilbert.

Specifically, Briggs wants to be traded, or he wants the team to withdraw the franchise tag and allow him to shop his wares without a new suitor being forced to compensate the Bears.
    The former is a possibility; the latter would only happen if Briggs gets hit by a bus.

So his options are limited.
    Since he's not under contract until he signs the one-year, $7.2 million tender, he has no obligation to attend any voluntary or mandatory offseason activities.
    In fact, he can stay away from training camp and all of the preseason and still earn the full amount of the one-year salary if he signs the tender offer on the eve of the regular season.
    The only risk he's taking is that the Bears can rescind the tag once everyone else has spent all of their money.
    Or if he's hit by a bus.

Briggs also can show up in Week Ten and earn a prorated salary and try to get to the market again in 2008.
    But then the Bears could franchise him again.
    And then he could stay away until Week Ten again.
    The third time around, the Bears would be required to offer him the average salary of the top five players regardless of position in order to continue to hold his rights.

We'd previously heard that the Bears are shopping Briggs.
    But whoever wants him has to work out a deal with the team, and a deal with the player.
    Given the contract signed by Adalius Thomas with the Pats, it's safe to say that Briggs will be looking for at least $20 million in guaranteed money, if not more.
    We should trade up/down/sideways for him.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Briggs wants out of Chicago

"Zeus" wrote:
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 1:51 p.m. EST; UPDATED 2:10 p.m. EST, March 5, 2007

BRIGGS WANTS OUT OF CHICAGO

Bears linebacker Lance Briggs, apparently frustrated by all the millions of dollars that guys not named Lance Briggs are getting on the open market, wants out of Chicago.

"There's a difference between the Chicago Bears team and the Chicago Bears organization," Briggs told ESPN.com.
    "The Chicago Bears team? The coaches, players, city and fans?
    Yeah, I could stay there forever.
    I love it.
    But the Chicago Bears organization?
    I don't want to be there anymore.
    I won't play for them and I'll do everything in my power to keep from playing there."

Briggs is currently limited by the franchise tag.
    Though he's free to sign an offer sheet with a new team, the Bears would have the right to either match the deal or to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.
    And the days of any player being worth two first-rounders ended with Keyshawn Johnson, Joey Galloway, and Sean Gilbert.

Specifically, Briggs wants to be traded, or he wants the team to withdraw the franchise tag and allow him to shop his wares without a new suitor being forced to compensate the Bears.
    The former is a possibility; the latter would only happen if Briggs gets hit by a bus.

So his options are limited.
    Since he's not under contract until he signs the one-year, $7.2 million tender, he has no obligation to attend any voluntary or mandatory offseason activities.
    In fact, he can stay away from training camp and all of the preseason and still earn the full amount of the one-year salary if he signs the tender offer on the eve of the regular season.
    The only risk he's taking is that the Bears can rescind the tag once everyone else has spent all of their money.
    Or if he's hit by a bus.

Briggs also can show up in Week Ten and earn a prorated salary and try to get to the market again in 2008.
    But then the Bears could franchise him again.
    And then he could stay away until Week Ten again.
    The third time around, the Bears would be required to offer him the average salary of the top five players regardless of position in order to continue to hold his rights.

We'd previously heard that the Bears are shopping Briggs.
    But whoever wants him has to work out a deal with the team, and a deal with the player.
    Given the contract signed by Adalius Thomas with the Pats, it's safe to say that Briggs will be looking for at least $20 million in guaranteed money, if not more.
    We should trade up/down/sideways for him.

=Z=
    I like the idea of a sideways trade, lets do that.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

It will take a lot to trade for him, but I think it would be well worth it.
    Dude's a beast.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Would love it.
    But the odds of the Bears trading him to a division opponent are about equal to that of him getting hit by a bus...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Don't blame him, get out of Urlacher's shadow and make some more coinage.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Well, I'll just go on the record and say that we'll not sign him.

He'll demand to much money for us to use on the LB position at this point.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

We can't just sign him.
    There is no way the Bears will remove the tag.
    They will expect lots of draft picks for a trade.
    We have nothing to offer player wise.

So much more the reason that he'll not become a Viking.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

That is quite a statement that he made there about the ORG.

I hope that the FA players take that to heart.

But then again, he is a disgruntled player making millions.
    Anyone making less than him would be ecstatic to take his place.
    Considering he is in the top 7 money makers at his position, that means that there are 90 some % of the players out there that would be right behind him to take his place.

Not all are as talented.

The latest developments on this faux pas by Da Bearrrsss management...

from KFFL.com :
    Bears | Briggs says he's done in Chicago
    Mon, 12 Mar 2007 15:12:20 -0800

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports Chicago Bears LB Lance Briggs, who is the team's franchise player, said he is prepared to sit out the 2007 season if the Bears do not trade or release him. He went on to say he's played his last down for the team and will never play in Chicago again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bears | Angelo expects Briggs to play
    Tue, 6 Mar 2007 19:25:17 -0800

The Associated Press reports Chicago Bears general manager Jerry Angelo is expecting LB Lance Briggs to play with the team in 2007. Briggs recently said he wants out of Chicago, and he wants the team to either remove the franchise tag or trade him. Angelo said, "We have his rights, so he's on our football team. We feel that we're treating him very good. That's a lot of money he's making on a one year-deal. The strain really comes to us in terms of our cap and what we have to do for a one-year deal."

The Vikes don't need Briggs.
    Sure, he is better than any Viking roster LB, but his price tag is too high.
    If the Vikings really felt they needed help at LB they wouldn't have let Harris go without making a large offer.
    Brzezinki and Spielman determined the Vikings are at or near the limit of salary cap space allocated to LBs.
    They cannot tap into unused 2007 cap space allocated to WRs, DEs, OL and TEs.

Da Bearrrsss can't keep Briggs in the brig because he won't report to camp.

Da Bearrrsss will lose some of the value Briggs would have returned in a trade because he has 'shown his hand' as a greedy malcontent.
    Few teams would be willing to take a risk by trading for him.
    So, he limited his potential employers, and Chicago management decreased his market value.
    Da Bearrrsss need to 'lance' Lance, and move on to replace him.
    This will partially divert them from rebuilding their OL and secondary.
    Any team willing to trade to Da Bearrrsss a starting OG or SS, and a draft pick, might be able to swing a deal.
    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast