Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Brian Russell Returns To Minny!!

You've got to be careful with Russell, he misses a lot of tackles, but he has a nose for the ball, that's why he's able to get the picks. He's an average safety with flashes of all pro here and there, but not consistent enough to be a pro bowl safety.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Thats true J Dogg, and the dude can lay some wood too, thats no lie, i havn't seen anyone on our defense for exept maybe some of Newmans hits(but he's 250 pounds) hit as hard as the time he smacked Shanon Sharp.

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

B russel is an average saftey and as much as I hate to say this, we have plenty of average recievers and an average QB throwing the ball. If Brad aint careful, B. Russel might be able to get a pick or two.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Russell has 25 tackles, 14 assists, 0 sacks, 0 fumble recoveries & 0 picks this year.

I don't see him being that big of a threat to our offense.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

i think tice will have us attack Russell all game because he knows Brian is a weak link

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Brian who?.........

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

"singersp" wrote:
    Russell has 25 tackles, 14 assists, 0 sacks, 0 fumble recoveries & 0 picks this year.

I don't see him being that big of a threat to our offense.
    that would be awesome to single him out and expose him!

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

He had one very good season, but other than that nothing.

And we will rip him apart tomorrow.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

From the article in The Plain Dealer "Nose tackle says Vikings won't fret about Droughns";

Old friends:

Free safety Brian Russell is looking forward to facing his former team, the Minnesota Vikings, which believed in him when few other teams did.

Russell, signed by the Browns as an unrestricted free agent in April, was originally signed by the Vikings in 2001 as an undrafted rookie out of San Diego State.

What's more, he started out as a quarterback in college and was converted to safety midway through his junior year.

"That organization gave me a chance as a practice squad player and as a converted quarterback, so I have a lot of respect for them," he said. "I wouldn't be in the NFL if they hadn't given me that chance, so those are my fondest memories, just getting the opportunity to earn some stripes and earn my way onto the field."

Russell, 27, spent his entire first season on the practice squad and then made two starts in 2002. By 2003, he won the starting free safety job and started all 16 games that year and the next.

"To come in undrafted, one it's hard just to make the team, then two getting on the active roster and staying on it," he said, "I started something like 34 games there and that's special for me."

But the Browns offered him more money and a better opportunity in free agency, so he jumped at the chance. The Vikings, meanwhile, replaced him with former Packers safety Darren Sharper, who leads the team with five interceptions. But Russell has held down the free safety job well here and is part of a defense that's giving up 17 points a game -- tied for sixth in the NFL.

"This move allowed me to really take the next step as a safety, as an NFL player," said Russell (6-2, 207). "I think coming here and being asked to make some calls and kind of be a leader in the secondary, that's something I really wanted. To be kind of a leader here, it's exciting for me."

Coach Romeo Crennel has liked what he's seen from Russell so far.

"He's done a nice job here," said Crennel. "He's still learning the safety position and he's becoming more and more comfortable every day. I don't see why he couldn't develop into a long-term solution."

Russell's proudest moment as a Brown so far was participating in last week's 22-0 shutout over the Dolphins.

"It was huge," he said. "We felt we were capable of it, but it doesn't count until you do it. It was on everybody's mind, but we didn't really talk about it until the last two series. Then we started screaming about it."

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Wow 6th in the NFL, he must be doin something right back there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast