Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Brett Lorenzo Favre...press conference...

"PurpleCrusader" wrote:
    ....Now I'm no Favre lover, I've been a Vikings fan all along, but I think as a worthy adversary he deserves a little more respect.
    He's a classy guy that's overcome alot in his personal life and turned out probably the greatest career of any QB in NFL history.
    You have me fooled.

:P

Keep in mind though, that while he was a very emotional & great competitor, he is not the only one to overcome a lot in his personal life.

Many, many players have overcome problems in their personal lives. Some don't or can't. Many have lost loved ones, some have died on the field of play, in practice or as a result of it or giving their life for their country. Others have been paralyzed, had severe career ending injuries or illnesses & very few of them (If any, IMO) have received the amount of media coverage that Favre has received every time a tragedy befalls him or he breaks a nail.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

I'll be the first to admit, I have taken more than my fair share of shots at Favre.
    In my opinion, they were warranted.
    He was NOT a diety, he was NOT pure as the driven snow, he did NOT walk on water, and he was NOT the selfless saint that everyone made him out to be.

He was as human as everyone else.
    He had ego.
    He was self-centered in many instances.
    He made mistakes both on and off the field.

And I am going to miss him.

Not for the ammunition he gave me to verbally pummel Packtards into the dirt with, but for the way he played, and the positive things he did.

Maybe some are too close to the rivalry to really appreciate what a great player and competitor he was...what a great rival he made.
    But I'm here in Packerland, and even I see it.

Face it, it won;t be the same beating the Packers now.
    Aaron Rodgers?
    What big thrill is there going to be in whipping HIM?
    His most significant NFL moment is the draft slide he took.
    He's got a long way to go before we fear his 4th quarter comebacks.
    He's got YEARS to go before we all nod knowingly to each other and comment, "If we can rattle him early, he'll get wild...but if we give him time....".

Face it, Favre has been the face of the Packers for so long, that MANY of you on this very forum haven't seen any other.
    And as you grew into the rivalry, HE was the nemesis.
    HE was the guy everyone loved to hate.
    HE was the one you wanted to see throw an INT (happened a lot), or get carted off the field (never happened).

And now....he's done.

Even if you hated him, doesn't it feel a bit wierd knowing that when we face the Packers next season, it WON'T be #4 that is under center?
    It is for me.
    And won't it be a little less satisfying beating the Packers without Favre back there?
    After all, who the Hades is Rodgers?

Yes, I'll miss Brett.
    Truth be told, I've long respected him.
    I never bought into the idol worship of the Packtards, but I respected the guy.
    I didn't always agree with everything he did, but I understood that he was human, just like me.
    I hated the man-love the media showered on him, but I always figured he'd be the kind of guy you could have a beer with and listen to some fantastic NFL stories from.

So, yeah, I'll miss him.
    And I wish him well.
    To me, it will be just like when any of the other NFL greats have retired.
    There is a sense of loss.
    One man DOES make a difference sometimes, and the list of HoF Players proves that.
    We just lost another one.

Good luck, Brett.
    Call me about that beer...I promise not to give you too much sh*t about the time you walked out of the Metrodome early.

Caine

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:
    Keep in mind though, that while he was a very emotional & great competitor, he is not the only one to overcome a lot in his personal life.

Many, many players have overcome problems in their personal lives. Some don't or can't. Many have lost loved ones, some have died on the field of play, in practice or as a result of it or giving their life for their country. Others have been paralyzed, had severe career ending injuries or illnesses & very few of them (If any, IMO) have received the amount of media coverage that Favre has received every time a tragedy befalls him or he breaks a nail.
    Now I agree with that 100%, other players and countless other non sports players go through the same trials in there life. The thing that bonded people to Favre though, is he lived his life without a filter so to speak, never one not to speak his mind or be completely open on about any topic. He was real in a world where most of the figures put on one face for the camera and the team, and a completely other one away from the camera.

Even in his younger days, he didn't hide the fact that he had issues.. between the alcohol and addiction to pain killers.. he stood up and dealt with them. Deanna had a ton to do with it as well, as well as countless others.

But there are two things that I respect about Brett Favre.. one is the way he played the game.. the other is how he plays the game of life.. accountable for his responsiblilties. Open, honest and Real.

I am happy for him and his family, life can slow down now and he can breathe on his farm... I think that is the last noteable appearance you will see from Brett for an extended time.. it wouldn't surprise me if the next time is when the Packers retire his jersey or the HOF speech.. and they have earned that.

"pack93z" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Now I agree with that 100%, other players and countless other non sports players go through the same trials in there life. The thing that bonded people to Favre though, is he lived his life without a filter so to speak, never one not to speak his mind or be completely open on about any topic. He was real in a world where most of the figures put on one face for the camera and the team, and a completely other one away from the camera.
    even in his younger days, he didn't hide the fact that he had issues.. between the alcohol and addiction to pain killers.. he stood up and dealt with them. Deanna had a ton to do with it as well, as well as countless others.

But there are two things that I respect about Brett Favre.. one is the way he played the game.. the other is how he plays the game of life.. accountable for his responsiblilties. Open, honest and Real.

I am happy for him and his family, life can slow down now and he can breathe on his farm... I think that is the last noteable appearance you will see from Brett for an extended time.. it wouldn't surprise me if the next time is when the Packers retire his jersey or the HOF speech.. and they have earned that.
    Glad to see you have accepted the retirement news & are moving on.

I'm sure in the upcoming weeks we'll be hearing stories of people in denial who will do stupid shit over it.

Possibly suicides, hunger strikes until he comes back, spousal abuse, violent arguments resulting in shootings or some other nonsensical crap.

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:
    Glad to see you have accepted the retirement news & are moving on.

I'm sure in the upcoming weeks we'll be hearing stories of people in denial who will do stupid shit over it.

Possibly suicides, hunger strikes until he comes back, spousal abuse, violent arguments resulting in shootings or some other nonsensical crap.
    Anyone silly enough not to accept such an event is just kidding themselves, all players come and all players have to go someday.. and by the looks of it, it was his time, the right place to call it career.

On a positive note.. I am sure that I moved up the season ticket list this week by a couple thousand.
    ;D

Favre admitted in his speech he was no longer "up to the challenge".

That's a no-brainer, we Vikings fans always knew he was a "mentally challenged hillbilly lover".

bono is offline Hall of Famer

Beautifully said, Caine. You've now earned the respect of the die-hardest Packer fan on this site!
    BonoSugaRay IS Betamethasone Dunkin

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"bono" wrote:
    Beautifully said, Caine. You've now earned the respect of the die-hardest Packer fan on this site!
    gross ....
    ;D
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"Caine" wrote:
    HE was the one you wanted to see throw an INT (happened a lot), or get carted off the field (never happened).
    Actually that is not entirely true.
    I remember watching him get carted off the field one time when he hurt his pinky finger.

He has been carted off more than once...

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    Actually that is not entirely true.
    I remember watching him get carted off the field one time when he hurt his pinky finger.

He has been carted off more than once...
    A lesser man would have died from his pinky injury, cracked thumb or bruised elbow....as I have been told by Packer fans before

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast