Blog Entries

Re: Brett Favre will retire

Good.

This time hopefully he stays retired.

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame

My man Garcia is closer....
    El underdog.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"marstc09" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    While Favre did not directly broach the subject of the team simply releasing him so that he might have the option of signing with another team such as the Minnesota Vikings, a source said that Cook informally discussed the option with the Jets. The Jets respectfully declined that option, the source said. Favre's retirement will save the Jets his $13 million salary in salary cap space. The Jets are in one of the worst salary-cap situtations in the NFL.
    Why would his agent ask for a release if he is retiring?
    Always a saga, but he just did the Jets a solid if he plans to play this year.
    The Jets can now put him on the reserve/retired list which takes hime off the books for the cap.
    But maybe he really is calling it quits and realizes that fighting the Jets on a release isnt worth it this year.

So what happens if he does not allow them to put him on the list or does him saying he is retiring automatically do that?
    I was wondering the same thing. If Favre did want to go to another team, this might work. If he doesn't file the paperwork I would think that his salary would still be on the books feb 27th. Since he has told them he is gonna retire they would not be able to trade him, and there is no sense cutting players to make room for his contract, so on feb 27th they release him. Then sometime in July or August Favre changes his mind and hits free agency.

Scares me crazy.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    While Favre did not directly broach the subject of the team simply releasing him so that he might have the option of signing with another team such as the Minnesota Vikings, a source said that Cook informally discussed the option with the Jets. The Jets respectfully declined that option, the source said. Favre's retirement will save the Jets his $13 million salary in salary cap space. The Jets are in one of the worst salary-cap situtations in the NFL.
    The Jets can now put him on the reserve/retired list which takes hime off the books for the cap.
    But maybe he really is calling it quits and realizes that fighting the Jets on a release isnt worth it this year.

So what happens if he does not allow them to put him on the list or does him saying he is retiring automatically do that?
    I was wondering the same thing. If Favre did want to go to another team, this might work. If he doesn't file the paperwork I would think that his salary would still be on the books feb 27th. Since he has told them he is gonna retire they would not be able to trade him, and there is no sense cutting players to make room for his contract, so on feb 27th they release him. Then sometime in July or August Favre changes his mind and hits free agency.

Scares me crazy.
    By then it will be too late. We can't let Garcia slip away. He needs to be signed.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:

Scares me crazy.
    Ugh...I don't want to put up with another 4 months of Favre rumors.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"El" wrote:
    Not so sure about that.

This may mean Favre is closer to being a Viking. I mean, for a team that struggled with Ticket sales last year, bringing in Favre would be a smart move business-wise... not so sure about team-wise though.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame

"C" wrote:
    "El" wrote:
    Not so sure about that.

This may mean Favre is closer to being a Viking. I mean, for a team that struggled with Ticket sales last year, bringing in Favre would be a smart move business-wise... not so sure about team-wise though.
    A business smart move would be to bring a SB to Minny once and for all ,and imo with Garcia we have a much closer chance..Besides Favre is expected to retire,I don´t want an injury,slow,ex-Packer, int machine on here,If so we could sign Culpepper instead much cheaper
    El underdog.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"C" wrote:
    "El" wrote:
    Not so sure about that.

Not really, if he retires, the Jets still have first dibs on him, if he decides to come back again, like he did with the Pack.
    The Jets must RELEASE Him, in order for us to have a shot at him, and there is no need for them to release him if he is true to his word and retires this time.

I'de still love to see him play with us for a couple of years, but it looks and feels to me like he really is going to retire this time.
    Next up, Garcia....LOL

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"El" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "El" wrote:
    Not so sure about that.

A business smart move would be to bring a SB to Minny once and for all ,and imo with Garcia we have a much closer chance..Besides Favre is expected to retire,I don´t want an injury,slow,ex-Packer, int machine on here,If so we could sign Culpepper instead much cheaper
    I don't want him either... but you can't deny that having Favre wouldn't ignite a fire and increase ticket sales. From a purely $ standpoint, it's really not a bad idea for the team.

From a "Winning a SB" standpoint... it's an awful idea.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"C" wrote:
    "El" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "El" wrote:
    Not so sure about that.

I don't want him either... but you can't deny that having Favre wouldn't ignite a fire and increase ticket sales. From a purely $ standpoint, it's really not a bad idea for the team.

From a "Winning a SB" standpoint... it's an awful idea.
    I think Garcia gives us more of a chance to win a Superbowl next season, as opposed to handing the keys to Tarvaris, again.

I don't think he's our best option, but we are dealing with the chiller and co. If we bring in a young QB, who can compete I will be shocked.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast