PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

Breaking News- Ben Roethlisberger out for season opener

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger underwent an emergency appendectomy Sunday. The procedure went well, but Roethlisberger's status for the first few weeks of the NFL season is now in question

Steelers coach Bill Cowher already ruled him out for Thursday's season opener against the Dolphins and named Charlie Batch as the starter. Cowher said Roethlisberger will be evaluated each week, and he is not certain how long the quarterback will be out.

Steelers coach Bill Cowher already ruled him out for Thursday's season opener against the Dolphins and named Charlie Batch as the starter. Cowher said Roethlisberger will be evaluated each week, and he is not certain how long the quarterback will be out.

Roethlisberger first experienced pains in his stomach Sunday morning and was sick. According to his agent, Ryan Tollner, Roethlisberger underwent a routine repair of the appendix. Though Roethlisberger was sick before the operation, his appendix did not burst.

Surgery was completed by early Sunday evening. Tollner said Roethlisberger will stay in a Pittsburgh hospital through Sunday night and is expected to be released on Monday. He talked to his agent before the operation and was reportedly in good spirits.

This is the second emergency surgery for Roethislberger in less than three months. He had to undergo facial surgery in June when he was involved in a motorcycle accident in which he was not wearing a helmet. The Steelers quarterback made an amazing comeback from that accident and participated in all of the training camp practices and played the entire preseason.

The timing of this most recent surgery couldn't have been worse for the Steelers and Roethlisberger. Pittsburgh opens the season against the Dolphins on Thursday. In some instances, a player can come back from an appendectomy in a couple of weeks, but there is not enough time for the third-year quarterback to be ready for the opener and it puts him in question for the next several games.

It also puts the Steelers in the market for a quarterback. They have only two quarterbacks on the roster after releasing Omar Jacobs and Shane Boyd.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2572171
    In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Breaking News- Ben Roethlisberger out for season opener

Bo Who,

Have them give ole McDork a call or O,Sucksalot....I hear their looking for work.. ;D

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Could make an interesting start to the season, Pitt with an opening loss and Miami opening up with a win, could stir their respective divisions up !
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

after week one, the Pittsburgh steelers record:

0-1
    We're bringing purple back.

Articnv is offline Coach

and after week to still 0 -2 cause
    ben still wotn be ready

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

I wonder if Omar will make a return there?

that's kinda funny if ya ask me.. he's portrayed as a tuff guy for surviving the motorcycle accident, and then recovering.. now he's sick again..

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't count out the Steelers yet. Culpepper still hasn't put up with a full games worth of abuse on that Knee and I am still not convinced he is ready for it. The Steelers defense is going to bring the whole toolbox so it will really test him.

If he does take it, then the fins have a shot of winning, but does he have the offensive line needed to keep him healthy?