"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "oaklandzoo24" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    [quote author=Zeus link=topic=51771.msg944940#msg944940 date=1241628622]
    [quote author=Json link=topic=51771.msg944878#msg944878 date=1241624636]
    Tom Brady = Best QB to ever live

except for all the ones taht are better.
    That's my point, nobody is or has ever been better then Brady.
    Wow.
    If not for a bad interpretation of the tuck-rule, the kicking leg of Adam Vinatieri and the cheating of Bill Belicheck, there would be no Tom Brady legend to debate.

All great QBs are products of their systems and fellow teammates, to a degree.
    But to blithely toss aside the accomplishments of great QBs of the past like Unitas, Otto Graham, Joe Montana and, yes, Terry Bradshaw is simply ludicrous and will move you down about 50 spaces on the 'ol spreadsheet, once Marrdro returns from his flirtation with the Bengals.
    for once we agree on something!

I'd also like to point out for those who use the whole "ring theory" for deciding on who's a good QB.

Bart Starr, Bob Griese, Roger Staubach, Phil Simms, John Elway and Jim plunkett are all tied for the 3rd best quarterback of all time.

You can make arguments for Elway, sure... Starr's in a category of his own, since the game was so different then.
    Griese, Simms and Plunkett were good, but nothing truly special.

Dan Marino has none, does that make him a worthless QB?
    Exactly.
    In a team sport like Football, you cant evaluate any one player based on position purely on rings.
    Rings go to teams, not a player.
    Based purely on talent, skill level, and work ethic, I would put Marino, Peyton, Montana, and Unitas as the greatest QBs to play.
    +1
    I like how you didn't include Montana or Young in that list
    Montana is the 3rd QB he listed, dude.

No love for Otto Graham, however.

=Z=
    [/quote]

haha.. how'd I miss that one.

Still hate it when people list both Montana and Young in the top 5.
    Brady is basically Steve Young 2.0
    [/quote]

How do you figure?
    Brady and Young are polar opposites of each other in terms of the way they play(ed) the game.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Brady's days as a great QB are done

"thepacksux" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "oaklandzoo24" wrote:
    [quote author=i_bleed_purple link=topic=51771.msg944943#msg944943 date=1241629015]

Wow.
    If not for a bad interpretation of the tuck-rule, the kicking leg of Adam Vinatieri and the cheating of Bill Belicheck, there would be no Tom Brady legend to debate.

But to blithely toss aside the accomplishments of great QBs of the past like Unitas, Otto Graham, Joe Montana and, yes, Terry Bradshaw is simply ludicrous and will move you down about 50 spaces on the 'ol spreadsheet, once Marrdro returns from his flirtation with the Bengals.

I'd also like to point out for those who use the whole "ring theory" for deciding on who's a good QB.

Bart Starr, Bob Griese, Roger Staubach, Phil Simms, John Elway and Jim plunkett are all tied for the 3rd best quarterback of all time.

You can make arguments for Elway, sure... Starr's in a category of his own, since the game was so different then.

Exactly.
    In a team sport like Football, you cant evaluate any one player based on position purely on rings.
    Based purely on talent, skill level, and work ethic, I would put Marino, Peyton, Montana, and Unitas as the greatest QBs to play.
    +1

=Z=
    [/quote]

[/quote]

How do you figure?
    Brady and Young are polar opposites of each other in terms of the way they play(ed) the game.
    [/quote]

playing style, yes, but based on the fact they both rode their great teams to victory with good, even great, but not best of all time play, they are similar.

Purplebus is offline Rookie

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "thepacksux" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    [quote author=oaklandzoo24 link=topic=51771.msg944947#msg944947 date=1241629290]
    [quote author=i_bleed_purple link=topic=51771.msg944943#msg944943 date=1241629015]

Wow.

Exactly.
    +1

=Z=
    [/quote]

[/quote]

How do you figure?
    [/quote]

playing style, yes, but based on the fact they both rode their great teams to victory with good, even great, but not best of all time play, they are similar.
    [/quote]

I couldn't stand Young. I was a 49 fan for years, but after he took the helm and whined so much I just couldn't take it. I followed Montana to KC, watched his abilities decline then lost interest in football at a pro level. My interest has be reignited with the signing of Ian Johnson to the Vikes however. I sincerely hope this QB situation gets ironed out because I just became a Vikings fan. I want to see victory!

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "thepacksux" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    [quote author=oaklandzoo24 link=topic=51771.msg944947#msg944947 date=1241629290]

Wow.

Exactly.
    +1

=Z=
    [/quote]

[/quote]

How do you figure?
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Most super bowl winning teams have great teams all around.
    You take either of those two players away from their respective teams and i don't think either of them win the super bowl.
    They are/were both extremely good in the clutch and
    leaders for some of the best teams to ever play in the history of the league.

If this conversation was about Plunkett and Bradshaw, i would completely agree.
    They had phenomenal teams around them and provided competent, sometimes exceptional QB play but at the same time still provide some head-scratching plays/games that left you wondering if they were really that good.

I never got that feeling watching Young and have yet to see that from Brady.
    Sure, they had their nights where things weren't clicking, but i can't specifically think of any games where they single-handedly cost their team the game.
    (injuries aside)

As far as Brady not being the same QB, unless he can't get over this injury mentally, he should be exactly the same immobile, yet savvy QB he was prior to injury.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"thepacksux" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "thepacksux" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    [quote author=i_bleed_purple link=topic=51771.msg944950#msg944950 date=1241629582]

Wow.

Exactly.
    +1

=Z=
    [/quote]

[/quote]

How do you figure?
    [/quote]

[/quote]

You take either of those two players away from their respective teams and i don't think either of them win the super bowl.

They had phenomenal teams around them and provided competent, sometimes exceptional QB play but at the same time still provide some head-scratching plays/games that left you wondering if they were really that good.

Sure, they had their nights where things weren't clicking, but i can't specifically think of any games where they single-handedly cost their team the game.
    (injuries aside)

As far as Brady not being the same QB, unless he can't get over this injury mentally, he should be exactly the same immobile, yet savvy QB he was prior to injury.
    [/quote]
    Good point. He might be the worst athlete in the NFL prior to the injury, so it shouldn't really hurt him that much.

Purplebus is offline Rookie

"thepacksux" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "thepacksux" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    [quote author=i_bleed_purple link=topic=51771.msg944950#msg944950 date=1241629582]

Wow.

Exactly.
    +1

=Z=
    [/quote]

[/quote]

How do you figure?
    [/quote]

[/quote]

(injuries aside)

[/quote]

'immobile' being the key word. He's not a runner, he just moves out of the way to avoid a sack.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Mr" wrote:
    "thepacksux" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "thepacksux" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    [quote author=Zeus link=topic=51771.msg944956#msg944956 date=1241629835]

Wow.

Exactly.
    +1

=Z=
    [/quote]

[/quote]

How do you figure?
    [/quote]

[/quote]

(injuries aside)

[/quote]
    Good point. He might be the worst athlete in the NFL prior to the injury, so it shouldn't really hurt him that much.
    [/quote]

wrong.
    He's one of the more mobile QB's in the league, just not in the way your thinking.
    To be a mobile qb doesn't mean you tuck the ball and run.
    Stepping up to avoid a sack, moving around in the pocket are all more important than straightline speed.
    If his knee injury affects how he does that, he won't be the Same Tom Brady we are used to.
    Look at Palmer, he's never been the same since.

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "thepacksux" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "thepacksux" wrote:
    [quote author=i_bleed_purple link=topic=51771.msg944968#msg944968 date=1241631115]

Wow.

Exactly.
    +1

=Z=
    [/quote]

[/quote]

How do you figure?
    [/quote]

[/quote]

(injuries aside)

[/quote]
    [/quote]

wrong.
    He's one of the more mobile QB's in the league, just not in the way your thinking.
    Stepping up to avoid a sack, moving around in the pocket are all more important than straightline speed.

If his knee injury affects how he does that, he won't be the Same Tom Brady we are used to.
    [/quote]

The term mobile when used regarding a quarterback is mostly used to describe the likes of Vick, Young, etc.

In any case, his injury should not limit his mobility in regards to how he played before the injury.
    His ability to dodge pass rushers and extend the play is more of a mental attribute than physical.
    The same goes for Payton Manning.
    Not a "mobile" QB, but has the ability to feel the pass rush and is able to extend plays that many qb's are unable to do unless they leave the pocket.

Carson Palmer was a mobile qb before his injury and i agree, has not and most likely will not be the same.

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "thepacksux" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "thepacksux" wrote:
    [quote author=i_bleed_purple link=topic=51771.msg944968#msg944968 date=1241631115]

Wow.

Exactly.
    +1

=Z=
    [/quote]

[/quote]

How do you figure?
    [/quote]

[/quote]

(injuries aside)

[/quote]
    [/quote]

wrong.

[/quote]

Yeah agreed.
    There is a difference between fast/playmaker and mobile.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "thepacksux" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "thepacksux" wrote:

Wow.

Exactly.
    +1

=Z=
    [/quote]

[/quote]

How do you figure?
    [/quote]

[/quote]

(injuries aside)

[/quote]
    [/quote]

wrong.

[/quote]
    Did I say mobile? I was just talking athleticism. You don't need to be a good athlete to do what he does in the pocket, it's all mechanics and awareness. His pocket skills shouldn't change from the injury.

You say look at Palmer, I say look at Palmer's injury. Multiple ligament tears, cartilage damage, and a dislocated knee cap. That's way more than just an ACL(and maybe MCL) tear. Not to mention the team he plays, the fact he returned only 9 months later, and subsequent injuries. Palmer is not the best comparison. If anything I'd say look at McNabb a few years ago, but add another 3-4 months onto his recovery time.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast