Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Brad Johnson: pure efficiency !!

"scottishvike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "scottishvike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "scottishvike" wrote:
    Although I'm not saying BJ should still be our starting QB, I don't understand some of the the animosity directed towards him. When he took over after Culpepper's injury he steadied the (sinking) ship enough to almost make the play-offs despite having weak receivers, a line that couldn't stop the pass rush and a rookie HC calling questionable plays. At the end of that season the majority of fans were happy to have him remain starter while T-Jack learned from the side lines. Fair enough it didn't work out for him but I don't think it was all his fault, we still had the problems in areas already listed. So I thank him for what he has done for the Vikes, and although I think his career as a starter is finished, I feel he still has a part to play in the NFL.
    1. The line started playing better in the second half of that season.

2. Look at the teams Johnson faced during that time period.
    a. Detroit (5-11) twice
    b. The defense won the Giants game
    c. Packers (4-12)
    d. Browns (6-10)
    e. Rams (6-10)
    f. Bears - We beat their scrubs. They rested a majority of their starters.

3. It was Tice's 4th year as HC. Hardly a rookie.

4. T-Jack hadn't even been drafted yet.

You seem to be intertwixting years judging by some of your comments.

We went 8-8 in 2005. 6-10 in 2006.
    Culpepper was hurt in 2005, Jackson was drafted in 2006.
    The line wasn't that great in both those years.
    Tice was coach in 2005, Childress 2006.

At the end of 2005, many still wanted Johnson as a QB. I saw that he beat some poor quality teams & wanted Garcia brought in. Johnson was exposed in 2006.
    First up yes I was wrong Tice was coach in 2005, maybe my brain was trying to erase all traces of his days here! In 2005 we were 9-7 not 8-8 as you say, Culpepper started and was 2-5, Johnson took over and went 7-2. Jackson was drafted in 2006 and played enough pre-season games to get the fans excited for his future, with Bollinger being the other QB that year I think my comment about Johnson starting with Jackson being the guy for the future is fare enough. I never meant that Jackson had been drafted that year, it was 2006 I meant, the year he took over for the last 2 games.
    I had most of it figured out. This was the confusing part.

At the end of that season the majority of fans were happy to have him remain starter while T-Jack learned from the side lines.
    The end of the 2005 season is what you were basically saying, but it sounds like you meant the beginning of 2006. I don't think too many fans wanted Johnson here at the end of 2006.

As I pointed out though, Johnson's 7 wins came against 5 teams (Lions twice) whose best record was 6-10. Not very impressive, IMO.

He was basically a non-factor in the Giants game. Our defense & special teams play (who I erroneosly left out in my initial post) won that game for us.
    Looking back again I can see where you are getting confused, so I'll put it another way..... At the end of the 2005 season most Vikings fans were happy with Johnson at QB after he had taken a team that was 2-5 when he took over as starter to almost making the play-offs. As the 2006 season started the majority were still behind BJ, but could see a potential future starter in rookie T-Jack after his promising showings in pre-season.

I'll be honest at that time (start of 2006 season) I was happy with Johnson starting, he had won a SB
    before with a team with limited offense and a strong defense which was what we had at the time. He took over and won games when we were struggling, OK you can look back and say they were poor teams he won against but we were looking like a poor team at that point too. Look at our WR's at that time I honestly can't think of a worst group in purple for over 20 years. I think it would have been harsh to take the job away from a guy who had went 7-2 as a starter the previous year. Hindsight is always 20/20 but back then IMO he was the right man for the job.

Weller Saider.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Johnson has always been an accurate passer.
    People on this site put him down because of th bad season he had in 2006.
    I don't think any NFL QB would have done well with the front line the Vikings had.
    Some may have done better, others worse.
    Bottom line Johnson is still a decent QB.
    He doesn't have the strongest arm in football but he gets it where he needs to more times than not.
    Like TJack last year you cannot blame everything that happened on Johnson in 2006.
    He had a klot of dropped passes and about 1 second to throw the ball most of the time.
    I will say this.
    He held onto the football a lot better the Culpepper ever did as far as fumbles are concerned.
    If Culpepper would have finished out the year in 2005 the Vikings record would have been worse IMO.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"StillPurple" wrote:
    I just watched the first half of the Dallas at Denver pre-season game down here in Dallas. All I can say is, Romo looked horrible. He overthrew passes and was extremely inaccurate.

On the other hand, Brad Johnson was sheer efficiency. He made great reads and throws. His passes were exactly when and where they had to be. His underneath passes were superb.

Hello, Vikings management: and why did we let this guy go, again ?

When I compare these tight passes, great reads, and perfect timing with what we had last year at QB, I really
    have to ask this question. Brad looked like Joe Montana tonight. His ability to read the defense and then check down to the open, underneath receiver is something our offense sorely needs !

If you doubt me, go back and watch the TD pass Brad threw to Miles Austin late in the 2nd quarter. It was PERFECT.
    Because he felt that he could still compete for a starting spot, and wanted to be free to do so.
    I am sure that they would have loved to keep him on as a backup and mentor, but that wouldn't have been fair to Brad.
    He left the Vikings on good terms.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

"ejmat" wrote:
    Johnson has always been an accurate passer.
    People on this site put him down because of th bad season he had in 2006.
    I don't think any NFL QB would have done well with the front line the Vikings had.
    Some may have done better, others worse.
    Bottom line Johnson is still a decent QB.
    He doesn't have the strongest arm in football but he gets it where he needs to more times than not.
    Like TJack last year you cannot blame everything that happened on Johnson in 2006.
    He had a klot of dropped passes and about 1 second to throw the ball most of the time.
    I will say this.
    He held onto the football a lot better the Culpepper ever did as far as fumbles are concerned.
    If Culpepper would have finished out the year in 2005 the Vikings record would have been worse IMO.
    I agree with you, but there was no chance that he would've started any more games after that season ( if TJ stayed healthy ) And he felt as been said before that he could compete for the starting spot somewhere else. His accuracy could be spot on but his total lack of mobility, and no arm strength made us let him leave. I didn't want anything else than for him to start and mentor TJ, but he just couldn't anymore... With this o-line he wouldn't have done any better..
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345